Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread >

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Like Tree54Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Old 03-17-2016, 08:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JC8390
I have another one for you Associated guys....

I switched over to the aluminum hub. What position do I run and what washer do I run to get the same camber link height and position that I had before? I ran the stock hub with the 3 hole setup, with the holes up. I found plastic washers in the materials left over from the build and put enough under the ball stud to keep it from getting into the bearing... but I can tell the camber link isn't the same. I would like to run an aluminum washer that will put everything to as close as that stock position as possible.

Also.. does anyone know of a part number I can order to get the 3mm flat head screws needed to mount the wing on the JC wing mount?
I have the associated aluminum hubs and I have the ball stud on the forward outside position and 1 degree camber. The ball studs are on the inside position of the part on the shock shaft with a 2mm spacer.

As for the screw... Try a local hardware store first.. I'm sure you could find the screw for like 10 - 15 cents. If you order an "AE" official screw set it'll probably come with like 5 for 3-4 bucks. Just my .02 on that.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yanks213x
As for the screw... Try a local hardware store first.. I'm sure you could find the screw for like 10 - 15 cents. If you order an "AE" official screw set it'll probably come with like 5 for 3-4 bucks. Just my .02 on that.
+1

I modified the stock wing mount to accept screws. I found 3mm screws and washers at my local Ace Hardware. They had a pretty good assortment. Here's what I did with my wing:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...l#post14405944
Old 03-17-2016, 10:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
Did you put chapstick or black grease on the threads when building the turnbuckles? I also drill out the ball cups with a 7/64 bit before threading in the turnbuckle.
actually i did. I used a set screw with some black grease to thread and lubricate the insides. once I thought the hard part was over, the ball cups require a lot of force to snap over the ball joints (even after loosening them up from binding - which was another episode, whew).

re. turnbuckles - do they inevitably get scratched up over time from adjustments? or is there a certain method or tool to mitigate that? all the turnbuckle wrenches I've seen are some sort of alloy so I bet it would easily take off the anodized paint.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JC8390
I have another one for you Associated guys....

I switched over to the aluminum hub. What position do I run and what washer do I run to get the same camber link height and position that I had before? I ran the stock hub with the 3 hole setup, with the holes up. I found plastic washers in the materials left over from the build and put enough under the ball stud to keep it from getting into the bearing... but I can tell the camber link isn't the same. I would like to run an aluminum washer that will put everything to as close as that stock position as possible.

Also.. does anyone know of a part number I can order to get the 3mm flat head screws needed to mount the wing on the JC wing mount?
For the aluminum hubs you want the etched "0" facing the rear of the car. You'll want to use the back row inside hole to match the hole you were using previously. You'll need the 8mm ballstud with 3mm of washers to attain the correct height. Use part number: 4617 for the washers, they are larger in size and give the ball stud more support. Be sure to loctite the ballstud!!

For the JC wing mounts you'll want 3x6mm screws. Get some from either AE or the hardware store if you can.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by aeRayls
For the aluminum hubs you want the etched "0" facing the rear of the car. You'll want to use the back row inside hole to match the hole you were using previously. You'll need the 8mm ballstud with 3mm of washers to attain the correct height. Use part number: 4617 for the washers, they are larger in size and give the ball stud more support. Be sure to loctite the ballstud!!

For the JC wing mounts you'll want 3x6mm screws. Get some from either AE or the hardware store if you can.
OK, thanks ill try those washers. It may have been a small thing but I could definitely tell the car was off.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:21 PM
Tech Adept

Does anyone run a slipper eliminator? What are the advantages?
Old 03-17-2016, 03:27 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I run a slipper eliminator with my stock buggy on indoor high bite clay. The advantage is less rotating mass and I suppose a very minor reduction in maintenance from not having to deal with slipper pads. I did feel a subtle increase in snap coming out of corners with it. New tires would net me a bigger improvement in lap times, lol
Old 03-17-2016, 04:45 PM
Tech Regular

Slipper eliminators can make u faster in extremely high bite surfaces but that's only if you have the skill to use them properly because they have no give like a slipper would so it really depends on how good of a driver u are
Old 03-17-2016, 07:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dcho87
Thank you! there are just so many steps along the building process that can bring out the inner OCD. I know I had plenty of those moments.

And I agree that soldering will take more practice. I learned it by fixing a horrible job my LHS did for me on another chassis (bad joints, burn marks on the motor and surrounding plastics) and was looking forward to apply that knowledge towards a clean slate, so here we are. For everything else like the wire bundling and parts selection, I was just trying to emulate what I read and saw from knowledgeable folks like yourself.

Here's a rough break-down, and welcome (more like curious) to hear any feedback. Maybe there isn't much to say.
  • B5M Factory Lite
  • Reedy 800Z Blackbox ESC + Sonic 540 M3 17.5T System
  • Airtronics RX-461 FH4T & MT-4 TX
  • 69T spur, 31T pinion (Robinson racing), as per the factory recommendation
  • 32wt shock fluid in front and back, as per the factory recommendation
  • Reedy 2s 5200 mah 50C saddle pack
  • Jconcepts bar codes on AE wheels (blue, F/R)

Question - Is the little Teflon diff cover inside the outdrive recommended? Mine seems to not want to slide in unless I use a lot of force, and I'm worried that it will be difficult to retrieif I ever wanted to take it out.
That OCD will get you every time! I hear great things about the black box, if I didn't love my Orion and Tekin I would have spent the money on it. Also I know many people here are happy with the M3.

Stock setup is the best place to start and then as you make upgrades slight changes from there based on what you are feeling. The best thing to do it talk with others at your local track, there's no one better than others who have a ton of experience locally.

My local hobby shop is also always willing to help, give tips, even between and after races he is always willing to help me out with some tips.

The Teflon cover, you mean that plastic nut with the ears? You may be able to trim it a little so that you can easily insert and remove it.

Good luck and be sure to post up your opinions on your electronics and the kit. There are great people on here willing to help.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Just2much19
That OCD will get you every time! I hear great things about the black box, if I didn't love my Orion and Tekin I would have spent the money on it. Also I know many people here are happy with the M3.

Stock setup is the best place to start and then as you make upgrades slight changes from there based on what you are feeling. The best thing to do it talk with others at your local track, there's no one better than others who have a ton of experience locally.

My local hobby shop is also always willing to help, give tips, even between and after races he is always willing to help me out with some tips.

The Teflon cover, you mean that plastic nut with the ears? You may be able to trim it a little so that you can easily insert and remove it.

Good luck and be sure to post up your opinions on your electronics and the kit. There are great people on here willing to help.
I think that's what he was asking about. I never even put that thing on, never has been an issue for me but I race indoors on clay tracks, I guess if you were on a dusty surface it may help having it on...
Old 03-17-2016, 08:28 PM
Tech Adept

Wink

Originally Posted by thecman26
I think that's what he was asking about. I never even put that thing on, never has been an issue for me but I race indoors on clay tracks, I guess if you were on a dusty surface it may help having it on...
True, I run on carpet myself. I am always making sure everything is in good condition and clean.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:12 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Gearhead82
Is this the Serpent wing you're using?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...500189/p269221
No, I'm not finding the one I have. I'll have to double check that it's not something else or a test unit.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:31 PM
Tech Regular

Is there any reason to get anything better (or just more expensive) than a Hobbywing justoc for 17.5 raving? I don't plan on doing anything other than 17.5 ever and a friend of mine needs an esc. I could always give him mine and upgrade if there is a reason. Or just have him buy a justoc.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DennisNyholm
Is there any reason to get anything better (or just more expensive) than a Hobbywing justoc for 17.5 raving? I don't plan on doing anything other than 17.5 ever and a friend of mine needs an esc. I could always give him mine and upgrade if there is a reason. Or just have him buy a justoc.
no. the juststock is the single best bang for the buck ESC on the market... it gives up absolutely NO performance, power output, or smoothness due to it's price. It's very hard to beat.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

My wife's CE

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.