R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 03-10-2016, 07:51 PM   #18901
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 478 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmdesertracer View Post
If I upgraded to ceramic bearings would I notice any speed difference? 17.5 / carpet track
Assuming your old bearings were cared for and in good working order, the difference would be negligible. Despite what people say expensive bearings yield very little bang for the buck. Not say that they aren't better, rather, the benefit from them is not as pronounced as other mods.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:40 PM   #18902
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmdesertracer View Post
If I upgraded to ceramic bearings would I notice any speed difference? 17.5 / carpet track
From what I've been reading many people achieve similar results by blowing out the thick grease in the bearings and replacing it with synthetic such as Mobil 1. I would say that if at a point they go bad then jump up to them, Avid sells bearings pretty reasonably. I wouldn't spend the money if you didn't need to yet, I am sure you can spend the money elsewhere.
SC10
Losi SCB
Just2much19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:59 PM   #18903
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead82 View Post
Interesting. I have the Champions Edition and it doesn't come with the washer, nut, or longer ball stud. Doesn't show it in the manual either. But I looked up the Lite manual and it shows the updated setup. Seems like they should have included the updated hardware with the CE since it was released after the Lite (afaik).
If I'm not mistaken there is a supplementary instruction sheet in the CE that tells you to exchange the steering bellcrank ball studs with the rear hub ball studs and to put a lock nut to secure it. I will check that tomorrow. The manual for the CE is crap, too many things on separate bags and having to go back a few steps was not good at all. Luckily I caught that very early on and didn't have to repeat many steps.
jneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:48 AM   #18904
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
Assuming your old bearings were cared for and in good working order, the difference would be negligible. Despite what people say expensive bearings yield very little bang for the buck. Not say that they aren't better, rather, the benefit from them is not as pronounced as other mods.
Really?
I remember when I built my first B5M, the original gearbox bearings were so terrible it was like I had drag brake set on my esc, in fact I had push control dialed in! Installed a set of Schelle oiled ceramic bearings and I immediately had to take out the push control!
Now tell me the benefit is negligible again...
As far as the rest of the bearings, may not be as dramatic but every little bit helps in the end!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:56 AM   #18905
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Interesting. I have the Champions Edition and it doesn't come with the washer, nut, or longer ball stud. Doesn't show it in the manual either. But I looked up the Lite manual and it shows the updated setup. Seems like they should have included the updated hardware with the CE since it was released after the Lite (afaik).
My CE did come with the longer ball studs and additional washers
Flip boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:59 AM   #18906
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneg View Post
The manual for the CE is crap, too many things on separate bags and having to go back a few steps was not good at all. Luckily I caught that very early on and didn't have to repeat many steps.
There is no manual for the CE...There is an addition or "supplement."

Understand, from a business stand point, that when you add 4 additional option parts, you don't change and reprint an ENTIRE manual. You include a "supplement" sheet to include those 4 parts. To make a completely new manual, put those additional 4 parts in the bag associated with the step, would cost 100 times more. That's what AE did, as well they should.

That's one of the reasons the manuals tell you to read thru it in it's entirety before you start the building process. Good on those that pay attention....
RC Pro Racing VA, Awesome Hobbies(RIP), Debbies RC World VA, Thunder Alley Raceway NC
Jerm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:35 AM   #18907
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith B View Post
Mason are you running 22/78? With good results
In mod I believe I am running 22/81 on a Reedy M3 8.5. I haven't tried any other spur combination yet but will need to in the coming weeks. Motor is good, esc on the other hand is a bit overwhelmed
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:43 AM   #18908
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm13 View Post
There is no manual for the CE...There is an addition or "supplement."

Understand, from a business stand point, that when you add 4 additional option parts, you don't change and reprint an ENTIRE manual. You include a "supplement" sheet to include those 4 parts. To make a completely new manual, put those additional 4 parts in the bag associated with the step, would cost 100 times more. That's what AE did, as well they should.

That's one of the reasons the manuals tell you to read thru it in it's entirety before you start the building process. Good on those that pay attention....
I think it's fair to refer to the combined B5M manual plus the CE supplement collectively as the CE Manual, which I assume is what people are referring to here.
Gearhead82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:11 AM   #18909
Tech Addict

Quote:
I think it's fair to refer to the combined B5M manual plus the CE supplement collectively as the CE Manual, which I assume is what people are referring to here.
Correct! I have been in RC for a loooonnnggg time and manuals have come a long way since then. I didn't have any problems nor did the build was hard but I can see how people might have problems.
jneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:53 AM   #18910
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
For you guys breaking the inserts off in the plastic hubs...are you using a washer on the plastic side and nut to better secure it all?
Darn, I'm dumb. I didn't even think to try the washer. I know some guys at the track use the longer ball studs and stick a nut on the end. Honestly the 3rd time it broke I was half way through my race night and didn't think. That's such a simple fix that I'll now keep note of and probably put that together in my toolbox incase something happens to the aluminum hub. Always good to have a backup plan... thank you!
Yanks213x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:38 AM   #18911
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanks213x View Post
Darn, I'm dumb. I didn't even think to try the washer. I know some guys at the track use the longer ball studs and stick a nut on the end. Honestly the 3rd time it broke I was half way through my race night and didn't think. That's such a simple fix that I'll now keep note of and probably put that together in my toolbox incase something happens to the aluminum hub. Always good to have a backup plan... thank you!
Also, when using the aluminum hubs I use ASC4617 for ball stud washers. They have a greater surface area than the kit supplied versions.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:58 AM   #18912
Tech Master

What are people's thoughts on front wings for 17.5? And what are thoughts on running the front wing behind the tower, or running up front with the Mike Gay mount? Just curious if it is beneficial. Not sure I am sold on the idea. Front wings were tried years ago, but went away quickly.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #18913
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 478 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
Really?
I remember when I built my first B5M, the original gearbox bearings were so terrible it was like I had drag brake set on my esc, in fact I had push control dialed in! Installed a set of Schelle oiled ceramic bearings and I immediately had to take out the push control!
Now tell me the benefit is negligible again...
As far as the rest of the bearings, may not be as dramatic but every little bit helps in the end!
I buy the stuff we sell at the track including car kits, mods, motors, etc etc. My personal experience spans over hundreds of kits and dozens of products. I, at a bare minimum, have a basis for most of my opinions that revolves around more than the experience that I've had with a couple of kits. Its one of those things, If you want to believe that a set of bearings are going to yield you more speed, and by logical extension, faster lap times, then have at it. Just like I've said a bunch of times if your basic kit is built properly and set up ok all the happy junk you to strap on your car isn't going to make you faster.

Last edited by QDRHRSE; 03-11-2016 at 09:35 AM.
QDRHRSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:24 AM   #18914
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbandit View Post
What are people's thoughts on front wings for 17.5? And what are thoughts on running the front wing behind the tower, or running up front with the Mike Gay mount? Just curious if it is beneficial. Not sure I am sold on the idea. Front wings were tried years ago, but went away quickly.
I cant remember where I read it but someone mentioned that in their experience the wing behind (on top) of the tower had a more aggressive feel than the wing in front of (and lower) the tower. I feel its track dependent. JConcepts also has a front wing mount out, it is available through shapeways. They have a B5 and a 22 version.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #18915
Tech Regular

What are everyone's thoughts on the fantom 17.5 vs the trinity d4 17.5? Seems most people at my track run the d4 but the customization options of the fantom seem nice and they are about the same price.
DennisNyholm is offline   Reply With Quote