R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 03-07-2016, 06:56 PM   #18811
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quick question. Has anyone used the Reedy M3 17.5 Short Stack motor? It says its a 1S Spec motor and can be used in 2S buggies. According to the "Document Tab" on the website the RPM and power rating is higher than the stock 17.5. Any comments?

https://www.teamassociated.com/parts..._17_5_1s_spec/
TC5Driven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:04 PM   #18812

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I'm running the Reedy in my B5M. Great motor. Currently geared 33/68 with 45 timing.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:20 PM   #18813
Tech Adept

I asked AE about the SS motor for 17.5 and below is the response I got:

"Thank you for contacting Team Associated's Customer Support. The difference in Spec and SS motors are the SS Motors have a short stack stater which gives more RPM and less torque. Usually better for 1s 3.7v powered pan cars like 1/12 scale cars. For more 7.4v applications, you want to run the Spec version."

So I went with the 'spec' Reedy M3 motor and I'm pretty happy with it. I can run 48-50 degree timing with 32/66 gearing.
Tracks: Pitstop Hobbies, Bumps & Jumps
Kalio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #18814
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
I'll add that a clean wiring job takes weight off too. Many of my locals need to learn how to eliminate the "spaghetti bowl"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead82 View Post
Just curious. . . do you shorten your servo/transponder wires? I just have mine coiled right now. I'd like to have everything neat and tidy with the perfect length of wire but not sure if it's worth the trouble.
Shortening the wires definitely looks better than the rats nest. Years ago I picked up a robotics kit that has all the crimps & plugs. It takes some patience but the trade off is worth it.

Other option is to cut and solder the leads but that can be pretty tough. OR try opening the servo and soldering to the PCBs which can also be tough.
Attached Thumbnails
Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-img_3771r.jpg  

[email protected]

www.rcracing.com
RAP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:51 AM   #18815
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC8390 View Post
That doesn't seem right considering the JC chassis is only 23 grams lighter. I'm trying to determine if the JC or factory lite chassis would be better...
Having owned both chassis's, they behave completely different. The jconcepts chassis is more rigid/less flex, the lite flexes alot. Different tuning necessary obviously, one having a slight advantage over the other depending on conditions.
Flip boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:20 AM   #18816
Tech Adept

Quote:
Thanks everyone in this thread for the help.. especially the ones that got themselves banned for a bit trying to help lol. Good to have people that want to help that much.

I have an F1 motor on the way, cut gears from speedy RC and the JC chassis..along with some other replacement parts to keep her in good order, some soft springs and some protec tire sauce. More than $100 lol but oh well. I may try the MIP stuff later on.
I'm just going to put this out there for you to chew on, if your car doesn't carry corner speed obstacles are difficult and straightaway speed means little, work on zero coasting always on the throttle or brake. Good luck
Old 03-08-2016, 07:39 AM   #18817
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip boy View Post
Having owned both chassis's, they behave completely different. The jconcepts chassis is more rigid/less flex, the lite flexes alot. Different tuning necessary obviously, one having a slight advantage over the other depending on conditions.
I may try both.. our track is a med-high grip clay indoor track that is small-medium size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip boy View Post
I'm just going to put this out there for you to chew on, if your car doesn't carry corner speed obstacles are difficult and straightaway speed means little, work on zero coasting always on the throttle or brake. Good luck
This past weekend I got to bump into the A... the top couple guys were a lap faster than me, so really it was just track time for me. I drove the car more aggressive..much less coast, always on power or brake, taking chances etc. My fast lap time was over a second faster and my top 5 was over two faster... but my race was slower. So I'm just not there yet as a driver, which is no big deal for me.. I've ran the class all of 4 times now and I've won a B and 2nd in a B with 30 cars give or take in the program. No complaints, just want to get better every weekend.

RC10 B5M CE
Fantom| HobbyWing| Savox| Turnigy| JConcepts
JC8390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:48 AM   #18818
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead82 View Post
Just curious. . . do you shorten your servo/transponder wires? I just have mine coiled right now. I'd like to have everything neat and tidy with the perfect length of wire but not sure if it's worth the trouble.
I never cut any wires in case i want to sell things down the road. Here is one of my wiring jobs.
Attached Thumbnails
Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-onne.jpg  
BRSracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:56 AM   #18819
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRSracing View Post
I never cut any wires in case i want to sell things down the road. Here is one of my wiring jobs.
I have only shortened the wire on my transponder. I'm a fan of heat shrink to keep everything looking nice and clean. Looks great!

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:04 AM   #18820
Tech Adept

Quote:
I may try both.. our track is a med-high grip clay indoor track that is small-medium size.

This past weekend I got to bump into the A... the top couple guys were a lap faster than me, so really it was just track time for me. I drove the car more aggressive..much less coast, always on power or brake, taking chances etc. My fast lap time was over a second faster and my top 5 was over two faster... but my race was slower. So I'm just not there yet as a driver, which is no big deal for me.. I've ran the class all of 4 times now and I've won a B and 2nd in a B with 30 cars give or take in the program. No complaints, just want to get better every weekend.
Sounds like your heading in the right direction, tracktime is king hop ups are a waste as soon as you crash
Old 03-08-2016, 09:16 AM   #18821
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volition View Post
Yeah, I use Ray's setups. He is based at my track so I'm confident with my setups. My initial instinct was that it had nothing to do with the servo change, just mere coincidence.

My thinking is yes it's a driving style issue. I'm driving my 4wd really nicely, I think it has affected my 2wd driving. I'm just going to have to work out how I can swap between the 2 classes effectively. I've made a decision to only use 2wd for practice at the moment. Till I'm happy with it again. Problem is, I don't get a chance to do much practice. Glad to hear that you think it's not a servo speed thing.

Since starting RC I've noticed it can be such small things that can effect these cars. Diffs not set right, front toe slightly out, small changes in weight distribution.
That has happened to me as well. I used to race 2wd, 1/8 buggy and truggy basically on the same track. I had to concentrate on using a completely different driver on the 2wd, basically being smoother. But 2wd made me a better driver in all classes. 4wd are easier to drive so one can be more aggressive. If you try to drive the same lines in 2wd and 4wd you will crash all the time.
jneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:26 AM   #18822
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRSracing View Post
Very nice! I used the wheel scale the other day and the car was very heavy on the motor side. I have the ESC mounted right in the middle and the receiver is a micro one. Most of the electronic layouts have the ESC right in the middle as well. I was going to move the ESC towards the other side to try to get a better balance side to side. Has anyone else seen this? I'm not even considering total weight since every brand and combination is different. In my truggy I got 50/50 side to side. In 2wd I know that that can have an effect on how the car behaves. Anyone has measured theirs?
jneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:33 AM   #18823
Tech Adept

Cut gears... who knows if these will really do anything but I have em LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-img_0050.jpg   Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-img_0049.jpg  

RC10 B5M CE
Old 03-08-2016, 11:15 AM   #18824
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Cut gears... who knows if these will really do anything but I have em LOL.
Those and ceramic bearings are next on my list. Anything to reduce rotating mass and friction can't be all bad! Plus, they are relatively inexpensive and now you have some spares . Gotta justify it somehow

Where did you get them?
DennisNyholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #18825
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisNyholm View Post
Those and ceramic bearings are next on my list. Anything to reduce rotating mass and friction can't be all bad! Plus, they are relatively inexpensive and now you have some spares . Gotta justify it somehow

Where did you get them?
http://www.speedysracingparts.com/

They even send a little bag of candy with the parts lmao.

RC10 B5M CE