R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 03-06-2016, 07:37 PM   #18781
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
That's it. Different speed controls can have different feeling...like how smooth they are or how the brakes feel. I have that motor mated with the reedy 800z esc. I have also ran the $50 Hobbywing justock esc and for the price it can't be beat in 17.5.
awesome thanks

RC10 B5M CE
Fantom| HobbyWing| Savox| Turnigy| JConcepts
JC8390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:51 PM   #18782
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC8390 View Post
Its always good when ya get a group of guys so interested in their sport that things can get a little heated at times lol.

Never thought I would be interested in this class...but there were over 20 cars in the last race and it was a small turnout. There were 7 or 8 including me within 5 seconds of each other. Makes for a good time.

Anyway... I don't want to take off CRAZY weight. I would think at some point the weight reduction could get counter productive. Right now I'm thinking about the AE light chassis and later on an electronics upgrade. Maybe the titanium screw kit at some point too.
I agree that too much weight loss may get counter productive at some point. Aside from practice my opinion of what is important is to focus on handling and less rotating mass as well as smooth wheel bearings.

Maybe at some point looking into some of the higher end motors like the certified ones or Fantom.

Make sure to post up your feedback once you make the chassis change. Best of luck!
SC10
Losi SCB
Just2much19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #18783
Tech Adept

Quote:
That's it. Different speed controls can have different feeling...like how smooth they are or how the brakes feel. I have that motor mated with the reedy 800z esc. I have also ran the $50 Hobbywing justock esc and for the price it can't be beat in 17.5.
I thought I read somewhere that I think it was Hobbywing makes the Orion and other esc's. Do you know if that is correct?

How do you like the Blackbox? I've been hearing good things about it and people seem to like it.
SC10
Losi SCB
Old 03-06-2016, 07:58 PM   #18784
Tech Adept

JC, maybe I missed it but do you know what chassis some of the others are running at your track? I don't know what track you run at but I would also take a look around the pits and ask around. They can probably give you the best input and most value added for your track.

By the way what type of track are you running?
SC10
Losi SCB
Old 03-06-2016, 08:07 PM   #18785
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just2much19 View Post
I thought I read somewhere that I think it was Hobbywing makes the Orion and other esc's. Do you know if that is correct?

How do you like the Blackbox? I've been hearing good things about it and people seem to like it.
Hobbywing manufacturers the Orion and several others...but Orion uses their own software. I have the 800z in my stock car and the 410r in my mod car. Both of the reedy esc's are high quality and feel great on the track.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:12 PM   #18786
Tech Adept

Quote:
JC, maybe I missed it but do you know what chassis some of the others are running at your track? I don't know what track you run at but I would also take a look around the pits and ask around. They can probably give you the best input and most value added for your track.

By the way what type of track are you running?
Its a medium - high grip clay track. Relatively small, tight track...the jumps aren't usually real big.

I know one guy that does pretty well told me he runs the JC chassis.

RC10 B5M CE
Old 03-06-2016, 08:41 PM   #18787
Tech Adept

Quote:
Its a medium - high grip clay track. Relatively small, tight track...the jumps aren't usually real big.

I know one guy that does pretty well told me he runs the JC chassis.
Being a small right track is why you haven't been gearing towards speed but torque right?
SC10
Losi SCB
Old 03-06-2016, 08:41 PM   #18788
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 181 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFs SC10 View Post
Oh it looks like you're a little butthurt.

What's your name, I want to see how good you are. Put your name and track out there and name the big races you place well at.

I want to personally see how well you do at the Big Races too since you imply you run up there with the best.

I consistently make A mains at my track. I test my setups before giving advice, and guess what , people like Paul Wynn, Alan Wight, Jeremy Harris, Jason Ruona etc run at the same track I do. I talk to them and that's the stuff they run. I'm sure you heard of them.

BTW I never said 200 grams of weight so you look like a dumbass cause you directly misquoted me.

Grow up, put me on ignore if you don't like what I write and get a life dude, seriously. (profanity removed).
You have a 3 day suspension for profanity
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:42 PM   #18789
Tech Adept

Quote:
Hobbywing manufacturers the Orion and several others...but Orion uses their own software. I have the 800z in my stock car and the 410r in my mod car. Both of the reedy esc's are high quality and feel great on the track.
Gotcha! I just switched to an Orion R10 from a Tekin RSx but haven't run it just yet. I just picked up a 410v4 and can't wait for it to get here, I purchased it from the for sale section from one of their drivers.
SC10
Losi SCB
Old 03-06-2016, 08:53 PM   #18790
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
You have a 3 day suspension for profanity
And socket will be on a week for his 100th warning by moderators to stop insulting people on the forums. I don't think you don't need me to tell you what's next, socket.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:56 PM   #18791
Tech Adept

Quote:
Being a small right track is why you haven't been gearing towards speed but torque right?

Right...I'm running a 32. I went to a 30 and it lost its bottom end. I could almost instantly tell I didn't like it.

RC10 B5M CE
Old 03-06-2016, 09:06 PM   #18792
Tech Adept

Quote:
Right...I'm running a 32. I went to a 30 and it lost its bottom end. I could almost instantly tell I didn't like it.
I think I remember reading you said you were ordering a 31 pinion. Might as well get the light weight one.
SC10
Losi SCB
Old 03-06-2016, 09:22 PM   #18793
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
That's what I figured.. I assume the AE lite should handle more or less just like what I have...the CE chassis?
The AE lite chassis has more flex than the other 2. The JC is really close to the lite chassis in weight but has less flex.

CE chassis- most rigid weighs most
Lite chassis- much lighter than ce flexes the most
JC chassis- much lighter than ce yet less flex than the lite

Go that way really fast... if something gets in your way... TURN!
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:20 AM   #18794
Tech Regular

Hey guys, a question. I'm in 17.5t stock, in Australia larger tracks bumpy dirt clay that grooves up over the day.

Been driving for just over 4 months, have been improving a lot. Weeks ago I replaced the servo from a 1258 to 1257. The 58 was just on loan. I got the 1257 would be better due to the faster speed.

At the same time I started racing 4wd it has a 1258 in it. I've improved a lot more rapidly in that class. Yes easier to drive a 4wd.

The actual question- could the faster servo 0.07s vs 0.08s effect my driving my b5m to the point it's harder to drive. It seems my improvement stalled around this time of installing. I don't feel I'm driving as well, however my times are reasonably similar. All the while I've continued getting better with my 4wd to the point I finished 3rd yesterday and was only just behind the lead. 2wd a different story, I seem to make more errors.

Could the steering have become too fast. Just seems weird. My transmitter has a speed setting, Spektrum. what speed does that adjust? Is it the speed of the servo movements. If I turned that down could I use it to test going back to a slower servo. Cheers guys, thanks in advance.

Btw to buy into the weight debate in 17.5t. I find the car way too twitchy at minimum weight 1530g is good for me.
Volition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:16 AM   #18795
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeRayls View Post
The AE lite chassis has more flex than the other 2. The JC is really close to the lite chassis in weight but has less flex.

CE chassis- most rigid weighs most
Lite chassis- much lighter than ce flexes the most
JC chassis- much lighter than ce yet less flex than the lite
So I'm guessing the AE lite chassis is really where it's at then? Especially for the $...

RC10 B5M CE