R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 03-05-2016, 08:01 AM   #18706
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just2much19 View Post
Awesome, nice work!!

I think you should look into lightening up the drive train. First I would start with better bearings such as ceramic or there is a mod people are doing to the existing. They blow out the grease on them, use a synthetic oil and supposedly work better.

Also cut gears, lightening spur and pinion. I don't know that motor but I am not sure what timing you are running and how hot the motor is getting.

I just picked up a SMC battery, 4000mah 100c for $39 which works great. Of course everyone has a preference and opinion on battery brands.

Either way you are on the right track, keep it up!
Motor timing is maxed out.. and you aren't allowed to add timing via the ESC in stock class correct? So mine is set on stock/ no timing. Motor is coming off the track at about 90 degrees. Im no electric expert.. but that seems pretty cool lol.

As far as bearings... I have the champions edition car, but I built it with the regular bearings. The CE car comes with both... the CE edition bearings are in a separate bag so I didn't notice them until the kit was almost done. Would it be worth while to change them over??

RC10 B5M CE
Fantom| HobbyWing| Savox| Turnigy| JConcepts
JC8390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:08 AM   #18707
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I will agree with QDRHRSE to a point a good driver can make a stock car fast and most "pro" drivers only do a few select mods none of the crazy stuff popular here. However a well built and maintained car is essential to being fast. A sloppy worn out car even in the hands of cav or maifield will never be as fast as a properly maintained car in the same hands. Theres nothing wrong with modding your car with every part known to man but remember to learn to drive it too
Old 03-05-2016, 08:43 AM   #18708
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC8390 View Post
Motor timing is maxed out.. and you aren't allowed to add timing via the ESC in stock class correct? So mine is set on stock/ no timing. Motor is coming off the track at about 90 degrees. Im no electric expert.. but that seems pretty cool lol.

As far as bearings... I have the champions edition car, but I built it with the regular bearings. The CE car comes with both... the CE edition bearings are in a separate bag so I didn't notice them until the kit was almost done. Would it be worth while to change them over??
What gearing are you running? Sounds like you could go up a tooth or 2 on the pinion. I'm running 31/69 on the same track as you and the hottest I've been able to get my motor is 150F and that was after running 2 packs worth of practice back-to-back, which was probably 30-40 minutes running time. I'm using the green Eco Power Slingshot motor with about 40 degrees of timing. I think after a 5 min qualifier I'm only slightly above 100F so I'm thinking of trying a 32 tooth pinion.
Gearhead82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:17 AM   #18709
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_E View Post
I've been searching for the same thing and there is nothing. They all use that horrible sloppy loose fitting keyed insert for the B5M. Let us know if you find one.
I glue my inserts in....
RickyRacer Lidz
Jake's RC Topeka KS
TravisS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:17 AM   #18710
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:

Being that you are now bumping up to the A main you may want to change them or at least check them to see how they are doing. I would say on your next tear down check them out along with the ones in the bag. While in there it's probably worth doing a couple of other things.

Gear head brings up a great point! Your 90* is a great temp, what is your gearing.

On the first page the person who started the thread did an amazing job at noting all the upgrades you can do. I recommend checking it out if you haven't already.
SC10
Losi SCB
Just2much19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:22 AM   #18711
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAP66 View Post
Dude - It was just a question & your statements are uncalled for.

The last time I raced (on road) was over 10yrs ago: TC3, GP10, V1 - V1RRR & MRX3 MRX4. I did have off-road but mainly for bashing XX4 & MP5. Machined pistons were not being made, Horrible shocks were all too common. Brushless wasn't even out.

I like to tweak on the cars, I know how to race (on-road). I am a total noob with off road racing which is something I am really looking forward to trying.

I had a question to ask and I did.... There is no such thing as a "dumb" question just the question that is not asked.

I agree; Get out n run the car, see what it does and adjust, learn what the car likes and does not like. This is something I still need to do. As I stated earlier I like to tweak my cars and all I asked was a simple question.
Well said Rich! I love tweaking my car also, one of my favorite part is the initial build as well as the teardowns.

I've been watching the onroad stuff lately and seeing some of the cars, it looks like a lot of fun!
SC10
Losi SCB
Old 03-05-2016, 10:36 AM   #18712
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

check out petitrc to get setups geared towards your track.

ask and look in the pits to see what tires everyone is running.

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/associa...tedRC10B5.html
check out the new 12th scale GT class! https://www.facebook.com/groups/148391312353349/
support your local tracks- Beachline Raceway-386-Full Throttle Raceway
JEFFs SC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:37 AM   #18713
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:
Being that you are now bumping up to the A main you may want to change them or at least check them to see how they are doing. I would say on your next tear down check them out along with the ones in the bag. While in there it's probably worth doing a couple of other things.

Gear head brings up a great point! Your 90* is a great temp, what is your gearing.

On the first page the person who started the thread did an amazing job at noting all the upgrades you can do. I recommend checking it out if you haven't already.

90 deg? time to gear up! Try 32/72 and temp again.
check out the new 12th scale GT class! https://www.facebook.com/groups/148391312353349/
support your local tracks- Beachline Raceway-386-Full Throttle Raceway
JEFFs SC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:52 AM   #18714
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead82 View Post
What gearing are you running? Sounds like you could go up a tooth or 2 on the pinion. I'm running 31/69 on the same track as you and the hottest I've been able to get my motor is 150F and that was after running 2 packs worth of practice back-to-back, which was probably 30-40 minutes running time. I'm using the green Eco Power Slingshot motor with about 40 degrees of timing. I think after a 5 min qualifier I'm only slightly above 100F so I'm thinking of trying a 32 tooth pinion.
I'm running 32/69. I tried the 30, and felt like it lost too much bottom end. Never thought about it before... but with the change in pinion would a bump in punch on the ESC help? I may try a 31. Going from 32 to 31 should give the car more top speed? I didn't use a 31 because A main didn't have it in stock at the time lol.

Were you there last night?

Quote:

I will check that first page out, thanks.

RC10 B5M CE

Last edited by JC8390; 03-05-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #18715
Tech Adept

Does the championship edition come with an aluminum top shaft? Or steel? Is the MIP top shaft an improvement over what the CE already has?

RC10 B5M CE
Old 03-05-2016, 12:01 PM   #18716
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Does the championship edition come with an aluminum top shaft? Or steel? Is the MIP top shaft an improvement over what the CE already has?
CE comes with the aluminum top shaft and the mip would be zero improvement over the CE one.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:11 PM   #18717
Tech Adept

Maybe the MIP pucks and shafts, not sure how much of a weight difference it is.
SC10
Losi SCB
Old 03-05-2016, 12:47 PM   #18718
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Not a fan of pucks...they do lighten rotating mass but they take away traction as well

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:02 PM   #18719
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
I'm running 32/69. I tried the 30, and felt like it lost too much bottom end. Never thought about it before... but with the change in pinion would a bump in punch on the ESC help? I may try a 31. Going from 32 to 31 should give the car more top speed? I didn't use a 31 because A main didn't have it in stock at the time lol.

Were you there last night?
Nope you've got your gearing the wrong way around. A smaller pinion will give you more low end torque and less top speed and a larger pinion would do the opposite.

I couldn't make it last night. Sounds like they are redoing the track now so it'll be a whole new track to learn next week!
Gearhead82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:45 PM   #18720
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
CE comes with the aluminum top shaft and the mip would be zero improvement over the CE one.
Ok, I was thinking that might be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead82 View Post
Nope you've got your gearing the wrong way around. A smaller pinion will give you more low end torque and less top speed and a larger pinion would do the opposite.

I couldn't make it last night. Sounds like they are redoing the track now so it'll be a whole new track to learn next week!
Ok yea you're right...

yea the turnout wasn't that great, but it was a good time. I wanted to run that layout one more time! It was just this week that I really felt confident through that middle "pine cone" section.. I was poking along through there up until now. This weekend I was getting that line right and hitting the jump with some speed.

RC10 B5M CE