R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 03-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #18691
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

"Are machined pistons a worth investing in??? If so what make & size would you recommend starting with?

(hopefully) plan on returning to racing after a long long break. Home track is Norcal Hobbies; Hi-Bite clay surface.

Thanks"

yes

I run AE but there's other brands.

3 x 1.4 and 2 x 1.6
check out the new 12th scale GT class! https://www.facebook.com/groups/148391312353349/
support your local tracks- Beachline Raceway-386-Full Throttle Raceway
JEFFs SC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:22 PM   #18692
Tech Elite

Machined pistons are accurate and should be perfect. The molded ones may say 1.3 but may not be perfect. I ran the GHEA piston's in my RC8 and they were good. Whether you need them depends on how picky you are about it. I don't doubt there is a difference. tolerances on machined parts are tighter. But you probably know that.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:55 PM   #18693
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFs SC10 View Post
"Are machined pistons a worth investing in??? If so what make & size would you recommend starting with?

(hopefully) plan on returning to racing after a long long break. Home track is Norcal Hobbies; Hi-Bite clay surface.

Thanks"

yes

I run AE but there's other brands.

3 x 1.4 and 2 x 1.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Reilly View Post
Machined pistons are accurate and should be perfect. The molded ones may say 1.3 but may not be perfect. I ran the GHEA piston's in my RC8 and they were good. Whether you need them depends on how picky you are about it. I don't doubt there is a difference. tolerances on machined parts are tighter. But you probably know that.
Thanks for the info... It's rough being a noob again

[email protected]

www.rcracing.com
RAP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #18694
Tech Adept

Well my car was 1000X better tonight. 12 car B main, qualified 3rd.. end up running 2, less than 2 seconds off the leader. Bumped into the A... moved up several spots until I got mixed in some trouble. I was happy to bump into the A.

Now.. I'm thinking about either lightening the car up some or going with a better motor maybe better motor esc combo. Right now I'm running the Turnigy trackstar turbo combo with Turnigy batteries. Thought about going to a faster motor. Thoughts? Suggestions?

RC10 B5M CE
Fantom| HobbyWing| Savox| Turnigy| JConcepts
JC8390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:21 PM   #18695
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashn77 View Post
I never used a brass arm mount but have used brass on my sct right infront of my rear shocks on the chassis which is a common place for sct but I haven't seen anybody actually run brass arm mounts on this car for stock or mod so I'm curious on what you want the weight to help with on this car
I have one on my T5M, threw it on when I did the 3 gear swap, didn't lose a lick of rear traction. It's a nice tuning option to have on hand "just in case".
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:58 PM   #18696
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC8390 View Post
Well my car was 1000X better tonight. 12 car B main, qualified 3rd.. end up running 2, less than 2 seconds off the leader. Bumped into the A... moved up several spots until I got mixed in some trouble. I was happy to bump into the A.

Now.. I'm thinking about either lightening the car up some or going with a better motor maybe better motor esc combo. Right now I'm running the Turnigy trackstar turbo combo with Turnigy batteries. Thought about going to a faster motor. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Awesome, nice work!!

I think you should look into lightening up the drive train. First I would start with better bearings such as ceramic or there is a mod people are doing to the existing. They blow out the grease on them, use a synthetic oil and supposedly work better.

Also cut gears, lightening spur and pinion. I don't know that motor but I am not sure what timing you are running and how hot the motor is getting.

I just picked up a SMC battery, 4000mah 100c for $39 which works great. Of course everyone has a preference and opinion on battery brands.

Either way you are on the right track, keep it up!
SC10
Losi SCB
Just2much19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #18697
Tech Adept

Since Chris, Jeff and Rap talked about pistons, has anyone tried the RCShox TriFlex or FloControl?
SC10
Losi SCB
Old 03-04-2016, 11:51 PM   #18698
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 483 (100%+)

I really don't mean to start anything but 99.9% of the after market stuff we buy does not make us faster. Driver skill, a well set up and maintained average car, and the right tires will beat the fanciest most decked out car with a lesser driver controlling it. Most of you guys should set your cars up right and run some laps. All the lightened parts and expensive mods are 0 value added. Because I have the money, I buy the best of everything and I still get beat by my buddy who is a sponsored racer regardless of what he's driving. His stock buggy laps beat my 4wl laps. He puts in a lot of laps....that's how you get fast. It kills me that people agonize over shock pistons. I'm willing to bet any amount of money that an average guy will see no statistically significant increase in lap times by replacing a kit piston with the same machined piston. If your car is set up properly I bet that you could spend $250 in chassis mods and not see an extra .1 second decrease in lap times. Its crazy!
Old 03-05-2016, 12:51 AM   #18699
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
I really don't mean to start anything but 99.9% of the after market stuff we buy does not make us faster. Driver skill, a well set up and maintained average car, and the right tires will beat the fanciest most decked out car with a lesser driver controlling it. Most of you guys should set your cars up right and run some laps. All the lightened parts and expensive mods are 0 value added. Because I have the money, I buy the best of everything and I still get beat by my buddy who is a sponsored racer regardless of what he's driving. His stock buggy laps beat my 4wl laps. He puts in a lot of laps....that's how you get fast. It kills me that people agonize over shock pistons. I'm willing to bet any amount of money that an average guy will see no statistically significant increase in lap times by replacing a kit piston with the same machined piston. If your car is set up properly I bet that you could spend $250 in chassis mods and not see an extra .1 second decrease in lap times. Its crazy!
No need to get all raged up over shock pistons, it's just a discussion. It's obvious that experience and time at the track outweighs most mods. As you mentioned driver skill and a well setup car, these forums are an avenue for a discussion about setting up a car well.

Thanks for your added value to the discussion. It "kills" me that posts like that drive others to not post up because they don't want to be flamed. You could have easily posted that in a more constructive way other than saying you don't mean to start anything. We want to drive more people to the hobby and encourage them to participate, not drive them away.
SC10
Losi SCB
Old 03-05-2016, 03:34 AM   #18700
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
You are totally correct! It's just I really like the technical side of the hobby too. It's fun tuning the car, taking time to build a precise buggy. I also love to focus on building my buggies to be durable.

However both my buggies are at a point where I'm really happy with them. I find myself itching to do something with them, to play with them. Now I can't wait for my next scheduled strip down & maintenance. Mm mm, what can I buy & install next?

Oh yes and then there is the time I've got to spend on finding tents of seconds on each section of the track, well that one is as you said a matter of perfect practice.

Loving this hobby, technical, creative, challenging & bloody fun. Remember there are all sorts and they get different things out of it.
Volition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:18 AM   #18701
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

My friend got a used b5m and it has solid front aluminum steering blocks. Who makes these I have been searching the net found integy but they still use the inserts.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:31 AM   #18702
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

I respectfully disagree with QDRHorsie,

The mods I do have made my car easier to drive which in turn makes me turn laps faster.

The lightening of drivetrain makes the car accelerate faster throughout the track which again in turn equates to a faster lap. (for me)

Now of course a guy like JR Mitch who frequents my track a lot can drive a stock car probably a lot faster than me, but you're comparing apples to oranges.

I'm a glorified club racer, he's a paid, sponsored pro that no lie has 25 years of experience compared to my 2-3 .

but I do agree that practice on the track makes everyone better-that's a given.
check out the new 12th scale GT class! https://www.facebook.com/groups/148391312353349/
support your local tracks- Beachline Raceway-386-Full Throttle Raceway
JEFFs SC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:59 AM   #18703
Tech Adept

Default Mods for stock class

I'm looking at the Reedy motor and still debating on the JConcepts chassis. Maybe the titanium screw kit as well. What are other mods for stock class? I keep hearing drive train mods? What specifically should I look at? Keep in mind.. I don't want to make the car too difficult to drive.

RC10 B5M CE
Fantom| HobbyWing| Savox| Turnigy| JConcepts
JC8390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:59 AM   #18704
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmdesertracer View Post
My friend got a used b5m and it has solid front aluminum steering blocks. Who makes these I have been searching the net found integy but they still use the inserts.
I've been searching for the same thing and there is nothing. They all use that horrible sloppy loose fitting keyed insert for the B5M. Let us know if you find one.
Eddie_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:00 AM   #18705
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default To those concerned about my question about shock pistons

Dude - It was just a question & your statements are uncalled for.

The last time I raced (on road) was over 10yrs ago: TC3, GP10, V1 - V1RRR & MRX3 MRX4. I did have off-road but mainly for bashing XX4 & MP5. Machined pistons were not being made, Horrible shocks were all too common. Brushless wasn't even out.

I like to tweak on the cars, I know how to race (on-road). I am a total noob with off road racing which is something I am really looking forward to trying.

I had a question to ask and I did.... There is no such thing as a "dumb" question just the question that is not asked.

I agree; Get out n run the car, see what it does and adjust, learn what the car likes and does not like. This is something I still need to do. As I stated earlier I like to tweak my cars and all I asked was a simple question.

[email protected]

www.rcracing.com
RAP66 is offline   Reply With Quote