R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 02-28-2016, 04:57 PM   #18571
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

What is the best thing to do on this car to pickup some easy rear grip?? My local track is clay and I notice sometimes towards the end of the day the high traffic areas of the track will get dusty and the car starts to kick out suddenly if you aren't really careful. I moved the rear camber link out on the hub which seemed to help...but it still breaks loose at times. And when it goes...it goes quick and stuff the nose right into a pipe before you can do a thing..no talking her out of it.

Running 17.5 turn motor, stock setup except for the rear link and I'm running the 3 gear transmission included in the champions edition. Running the same tires 90% of the guys at this track run...

Otherwise I've been really happy with the car.

RC10 B5M CE
Fantom| HobbyWing| Savox| Turnigy| JConcepts
JC8390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:04 PM   #18572
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Is your battery all the way to the back? It should be. You could add more toe in.
dan-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:06 PM   #18573
Tech Addict

JC8390 have you tried moving the rear hubs all the way forward?
bprc10T3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:35 PM   #18574
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 163 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-o View Post
Is your battery all the way to the back? It should be. You could add more toe in.
Moving the battery all the way back will make the car kick even more
pink_sleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:38 PM   #18575
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC8390 View Post
What is the best thing to do on this car to pickup some easy rear grip?? My local track is clay and I notice sometimes towards the end of the day the high traffic areas of the track will get dusty and the car starts to kick out suddenly if you aren't really careful. I moved the rear camber link out on the hub which seemed to help...but it still breaks loose at times. And when it goes...it goes quick and stuff the nose right into a pipe before you can do a thing..no talking her out of it.

Running 17.5 turn motor, stock setup except for the rear link and I'm running the 3 gear transmission included in the champions edition. Running the same tires 90% of the guys at this track run...

Otherwise I've been really happy with the car.

Yup sounds like you run on the same surface clay as me it gets the same later in the day. Put the battery back with the big pad and one thin one first .

If that doesn't work a softer Rear spring with the 3 gear.

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #18576
Tech Adept

What about rear camber? Think I have it -1. Will going to 0 or .5 make a difference and not cause any problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-o View Post
Running the big foam in the front and the two little foams in the rear. How does more toe affect it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprc10T3 View Post
JC8390 have you tried moving the rear hubs all the way forward?
No, I haven't. Will that take away much steering?

RC10 B5M CE
Old 02-28-2016, 05:47 PM   #18577
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
Yup sounds like you run on the same surface clay as me it gets the same later in the day. Put the battery back with the big pad and one thin one first .

If that doesn't work a softer Rear spring with the 3 gear.
I thought about going to a softer spring when I did the 3 gear.

RC10 B5M CE
Old 02-28-2016, 05:52 PM   #18578
Tech Addict

It will take a little steering away yes but does really help with grip at my local track at least.
bprc10T3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:57 PM   #18579
Suspended

Quote:
What about rear camber? Think I have it -1. Will going to 0 or .5 make a difference and not cause any problems?

Running the big foam in the front and the two little foams in the rear. How does more toe affect it?

No, I haven't. Will that take away much steering?
More toe will create more overall traction.

Camber has to match the amount of camber gain and roll stiffness. Less camber could yield more traction if your car isn't rolling enough in the rear, or if you have very little camber gain. How even is your tire wear across the tread of the rear tires? If it is only wearing on the inner half of the tire, you probably have a little too much rear camber.

Moving the rear hubs forward doesn't take away steering. It creates more mechanical bind in the driveshafts, which creates more on throttle traction. If the car wants to loop out as soon as you touch the throttle, then this adjustment will help the car square up out of corners and go forward instead of keeping rotating. It also puts more of the weight over the rear of the car.

I don't think in 25+ years I've seen a track that gets dusty in the line. Usually it is off of the line that is dusty. But I guess it could be possible. Does your track sweep or blow off the track with a leaf blower? A few minutes to keep the track clean is well worth it in my opinion.
Les Vegetables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:08 PM   #18580
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Im having the same trouble as well. I have to be super careful with the throttle out of turns in order to keep the car going straight. If I get it right, the car sets up and I can squeeze fully, if I squeeze too soon, the back end starts to come around. I have 27.5 wt oil in the rear and it definitely helped over the 32.5 that came in the kit stock.
DennisNyholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:10 PM   #18581
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Vegetables View Post
More toe will create more overall traction.

Camber has to match the amount of camber gain and roll stiffness. Less camber could yield more traction if your car isn't rolling enough in the rear, or if you have very little camber gain. How even is your tire wear across the tread of the rear tires? If it is only wearing on the inner half of the tire, you probably have a little too much rear camber.

Moving the rear hubs forward doesn't take away steering. It creates more mechanical bind in the driveshafts, which creates more on throttle traction. If the car wants to loop out as soon as you touch the throttle, then this adjustment will help the car square up out of corners and go forward instead of keeping rotating. It also puts more of the weight over the rear of the car.

I don't think in 25+ years I've seen a track that gets dusty in the line. Usually it is off of the line that is dusty. But I guess it could be possible. Does your track sweep or blow off the track with a leaf blower? A few minutes to keep the track clean is well worth it in my opinion.
The tires seem to be wearing even. To get more toe... the pill gets changed correct?

This is right in the race line... the current layout has a double that you downside and immediately do a 180 turn then onto the straight away. It gets dusty or loose, something...when you make the turn and start picking up the throttle on exit it just kicks out. Every car you watch seems to be hurting for traction right there at that point. They blow it off which helps but traction still seems to go away as the day goes.

RC10 B5M CE
Old 02-28-2016, 06:14 PM   #18582
Tech Adept

Every adjustment affects two things it seems like lol... so if moving the rear hubs forward adds traction, what does it hurt? Id like to add traction without taking anything else away. One of my buddies told me I'm terrible to help tune a car because I want it all lol.

RC10 B5M CE
Old 02-28-2016, 06:17 PM   #18583
Tech Adept

I thought about a little expo on the throttle trigger but... I don't want it to be weird on the rest of the track where I'm not having trouble.

RC10 B5M CE
Old 02-28-2016, 06:27 PM   #18584
Tech Prophet

Quote:
I thought about a little expo on the throttle trigger but... I don't want it to be weird on the rest of the track where I'm not having trouble.

That helps quite a bit actually just don't go to much negative with it .

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:56 PM   #18585
Suspended

Quote:
Every adjustment affects two things it seems like lol... so if moving the rear hubs forward adds traction, what does it hurt? Id like to add traction without taking anything else away. One of my buddies told me I'm terrible to help tune a car because I want it all lol.
Thats the beauty of moving the rear hubs forward. It pretty much just locks the car in on power.

Is that the only place that makes the car do that? Switching to a 4 gear would make the car a lot better on throttle, but less stable than a 3 gear under braking.

All adjustments alter the balance of the car. Most adjustments do change more than one aspect, so sometimes it takes a couple different adjustments to get the benefit of the one adjustment, and to change back the other thing that the adjustment changed. This is why until you have a great grasp on what changes do exactly, it is important to make a single change at a time. Often times people make a couple changes at a time. If they are the wrong combo of changes not only could they negate one another. The other things they effect could throw the car way off, and make it do weird things. This is why it is very crucial if you are gonna run a setup from a pro, you should make sure to follow it exactly. Even then sometimes pros can't say some of the stuff they have done to their cars so even if you copy that setup sheet exactly, your car would still not handle right. This is why I start with the kit set up, and make adjustments to make the car handle how I want. Keeping notes on what adjustments you make, and how they make your car feel should really help you learn how to make the right adjustments. Depending on how consistent your track is you may want to add track conditions to your notes too. Always check your ride height and camber after any adjustments.
Les Vegetables is offline   Reply With Quote