R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree7Likes

Old 02-27-2016, 10:48 AM   #18541
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRSracing View Post
You post highlights what I am saying:
1: the car they won with at the worlds is not available to the public
2: the only car they make right now is the lite car, which when it was released was advertised as being best for stock racing (so no car for mod?) The lite chassis does not work well at all in mod and no mod drivers use it around here.
3: several tracks are switching to carpet and the B5 is not designed for carpet, or they would have used it at the worlds as is.
4: Consumers will not spend 300 on a car and then another 100-200 to make it work for their needs such as carpet.
5: Xray and Durango have carpet and dirt cars because that is the direction the industry is headed.
Team associated realized how far behind they were at the worlds last year. The B44 could not compete in the hands of the worlds best drivers and the B5 was far from a B5 that the public can buy. So actually they are behind schedule if you ask me. Like it or not carpet racing is here to stay and more tracks will convert as its popularity grows. I have never been fond of carpet but it is what it is. Rear motor is dead and the need for a rear motor and mid motor car is in the past. The now is a carpet and dirt car. Time will tell either way makes for good conversation.

Lol you don't need to do a ton of tuning to get the B5M to work on carpet all i did was switch to 3 gear mid and lowered the ride height to 22mm , different tires and it handled fine and fast ran into the top of the field.

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:56 AM   #18542
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ9017 View Post
Im on a clay surface that has very good grip. i run mod class and id say im around back of the A guy. I just use liquid wrench for sauce and i think my car gets better as the run goes on.
I know some guys that use it on high grip clay. They love it, but their line did change a bit. In modified, I'd bet a laydown car with a well adjusted slipper could be competitive. Your corner speed will come up, but depending on your competition it may be negated, as you can only go as fast as the car blocking you. Gil Losi Jr had an excellent explanation on his AKA podcast about comparing two vastly different cars when it comes to a single track and racing line.

I tell everyone, try it, see if you like it. Also, if you won't answer all of my questions, don't even bother replying.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:59 AM   #18543
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Your saying the B5 is the top of the class because it won the worlds, which is not true. That would be like saying the the Toyota Camry at my local dealership was used by Denny Hamlin to win Daytona last week. That's one thing about RC racing that annoys me is how uneducated people see a car win a big race and think it must be the best car on the market when actually its not on the market.
BRSracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:04 AM   #18544
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Your saying the B5 is the top of the class because it won the worlds, which is not true. That would be like saying the the Toyota Camry at my local dealership was used by Denny Hamlin to win Daytona last week. That's one thing about RC racing that annoys me is how uneducated people see a car win a big race and think it must be the best car on the market when actually its not on the market.
Read my post. I eluded to two different facts:

At the pro level, the B5 is not holding back the pro drivers, thus making zero need for them to develop a whole new car. It's cheaper for a company to make 1 off parts for a 1 off race to win. Why develop a whole new car, it's cost prohibitive.

At the local level, the B5 is not holding back a local driver, thus making zero need for them to develop a whole new car. Sure, if sales dip, then they will throw out the newest hottest thing to spur the market. Right now from my peon perspective, the B5 is still the most popular car built. So much so, some companies literally only stay in business to develop parts for it, and it alone.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #18545
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
Lol you don't need to do a ton of tuning to get the B5M to work on carpet all i did was switch to 3 gear mid and lowered the ride height to 22mm , different tires and it handled fine and fast ran into the top of the field.
Shhhhhh don't tell people that, they need to believe they need a carpet car with a lay down transmission.

I agree with what you are saying and believe 95% of the racing community would do just as well without the new transmission.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #18546
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Read my post. I eluded to two different facts:

At the pro level, the B5 is not holding back the pro drivers, thus making zero need for them to develop a whole new car. It's cheaper for a company to make 1 off parts for a 1 off race to win. Why develop a whole new car, it's cost prohibitive.

At the local level, the B5 is not holding back a local driver, thus making zero need for them to develop a whole new car. Sure, if sales dip, then they will throw out the newest hottest thing to spur the market. Right now from my peon perspective, the B5 is still the most popular car built. So much so, some companies literally only stay in business to develop parts for it, and it alone.
I agree with you on most all things you are saying..... we will pick the conversation up when the new cars drop
Old 02-27-2016, 11:16 AM   #18547
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Shhhhhh don't tell people that, they need to believe they need a carpet car with a lay down transmission.

I agree with what you are saying and believe 95% of the racing community would do just as well without the new transmission.

Lol well its there money not my. But on the carpet track i race on at times its far from high grip its constant Med grip when the heat is turn on its warn Ozlite carpet the fiber kind so it feels like your running on a Med grip clay track.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:54 PM   #18548
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 478 (100%+)

Carpet, here in the US, seems to be a regional thing. I'm unaware of any carpet offroad here in SOCAL. This might be the biggest single market in the US....I've seen video of many European carpet tracks and it hardly seems like offroad to me. I think that carpet is a fad here but not overseas. I have a hard time believing that they are going to replace the B5M....they're probably going to offer a different tranny and a new 5 series 4x4. As much as I've learned to love my new XRay cars, I'm still racing a B5M. If the B5 series was a flop I could see them replacing it, but on the contrary, its huge success. There's no way they are going to spend the money to re-tool and come out with a new car. Since the new line of cars is so durable it seems to be that they will continue to come with new option parts and accessories.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:03 PM   #18549
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
Carpet, here in the US, seems to be a regional thing. I'm unaware of any carpet offroad here in SOCAL. This might be the biggest single market in the US....I've seen video of many European carpet tracks and it hardly seems like offroad to me. I think that carpet is a fad here but not overseas. I have a hard time believing that they are going to replace the B5M....they're probably going to offer a different tranny and a new 5 series 4x4. As much as I've learned to love my new XRay cars, I'm still racing a B5M. If the B5 series was a flop I could see them replacing it, but on the contrary, its huge success. There's no way they are going to spend the money to re-tool and come out with a new car. Since the new line of cars is so durable it seems to be that they will continue to come with new option parts and accessories.
I think I agree with it being a fad. Also I believe that on both coasts that clay is not going anywhere. And the coasts seem to be what have more of an impact on the industry. Especially the West Coast.

Every X-ray I have seen on clay has been a handful for the driver. Never seen one run on carpet. We have one carpet off road track in my area and another carpet track that will have removable jumps being built. I would never buy a laydown transmission even if I was going to run on them tracks because of what I have seen from X-rays on clay. Im not looking to have a car that I have to keep chasing set-up everytime I go to a different track.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:31 PM   #18550
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I don't know man, here at the local level the guys with the X-rays and yokomos hold way more corner speed due to the carpet specific layabout. Guys have tried every possible combination to get the B5m to turn like those cars, but the still can't hold the same line under power!!
U don't have to be a pro level driver to see that those other cars have an advantage on carpet.
Tekno NB48.4/ Alpha Dragon III
HB D413/tekin rsx/gen3 6.5
lala4fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:33 PM   #18551
Tech Prophet

Quote:

Well i had 2 clay indoor tracks close this year that where in a decent range travel wise so there is one track that is carpet that has jumps and the other is a clay track with wooden jumps quite a nice place but its 2 hours i go there at least twice a mouth.

Of course i like dirt better but not a whole lot of choice .

Old 02-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #18552
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 478 (100%+)

Quote:
Well i had 2 clay indoor tracks close this year that where in a decent range travel wise so there is one track that is carpet that has jumps and the other is a clay track with wooden jumps quite a nice place but its 2 hours i go there at least twice a mouth.

Of course i like dirt better but not a whole lot of choice .
We probably have 10 tracks within a radius of 100 miles and none of them carpet. In my proximity, within 30 miles or so, we have 2 outdoor and one small indoor, no carpet. I live 60 miles north of Los Angeles in what is considered a small to medium sized community and we have 250,000 people. When you get further toward the coast the population is much more dense. In that 100 mile radius that I mentioned we have 15 million people give or take....LA County has 10+ and OC has 3+.....Riverside, San Bernardino....Ventura. That's more folks than most states have. I have yet to hear about an actual open carpet track.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:48 PM   #18553
Tech Prophet

Quote:
We probably have 10 tracks within a radius of 100 miles and none of them carpet. In my proximity, within 30 miles or so, we have 2 outdoor and one small indoor, no carpet. I live 60 miles north of Los Angeles in what is considered a small to medium sized community and we have 250,000 people. When you get further toward the coast the population is much more dense. In that 100 mile radius that I mentioned we have 15 million people give or take....LA County has 10+ and OC has 3+.....Riverside, San Bernardino....Ventura. That's more folks than most states have. I have yet to hear about an actual open carpet track.

Your lucky man ! The carpet track thing is more of a East coast thing where I live at that pops up at some tracks . The tracks indoor wise the 2 tracks there Kind of in the boonies somewhat . Outdoor tracks off-road there is about 3 of them which are in a reasonable distance for me .
Old 02-27-2016, 07:35 PM   #18554
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Your lucky man ! The carpet track thing is more of a East coast thing where I live at that pops up at some tracks . The tracks indoor wise the 2 tracks there Kind of in the boonies somewhat . Outdoor tracks off-road there is about 3 of them which are in a reasonable distance for me .
What tracks are in the area? I am in Clinton NJ and my brother down in Glouchester NJ.
We just both bought b44.3s and I got a b5m as well... looking for a place to run them.
Thanks...
Silverstonev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:13 PM   #18555
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstonev8 View Post
What tracks are in the area? I am in Clinton NJ and my brother down in Glouchester NJ.
We just both bought b44.3s and I got a b5m as well... looking for a place to run them.
Thanks...

The carpet indoor track is in Kennett Square , PA the (Mushroom Bowl) which race on Saturdays they have two offroad outdoor tracks . The clay track is Bumps and Jumps in Etters, PA they race on Sundays good program and place only clay indoor track around now in PA.

There is Critters raceway in NJ indoor clay never been there though .

I race at both tracks in PA.