R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 02-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #18451
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbandit View Post
Do the cut gears require anything to spin free? Deburring, ect?
Depending on who it was that cut them, maybe.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:56 PM   #18452
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
I used the CB gears and they didn't require anything to fit and spin freely. Great quality! I am not sure if anyone else that sells them.

http://www.cbscustomrc.com/products.html
SC10
Losi SCB
Just2much19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:03 PM   #18453
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
it depends, but. in any case, you need to break the transmission in. some guys use a wire brush on all of the diff gears to clean them up and smooth them out. essentially, helping the gear box break in faster.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:06 PM   #18454
Tech Addict

What are you guys using as a scale to weight your cars? I just got the Sky RC corner weight system to check not only total weight but balance front to rear and side to side. I haven't used it yet on my CE but I did use it on my truggy. I'm going to race on carpet so balance is very important, at least it was in my sedan days. Any recomendations on front to rear balance (%)? I got the brass bulkhead (45g) and a Ti screw kit. I will post what I find out regarding weight. I have attached a pic of what I found on my truggy.

Anither question is regarding the Ti screw kit. It's a Protek kit but it says not to use it in high stress areas, shock mounts or places where locktite is required. So with that where do you guys don't recommend I use the Ti screws.

Also I just got the C and D mounts, the thing is the arms seem to have a lot of toe in. I installed the 2.5-1 inserts in the D block and arrows out in the C block. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-image.jpg  
jneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:37 PM   #18455
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneg View Post
Also I just got the C and D mounts, the thing is the arms seem to have a lot of toe in. I installed the 2.5-1 inserts in the D block and arrows out in the C block. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Arrows should point in...
Silverstonev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #18456
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstonev8 View Post
Arrows should point in...
LOL I knew something was of...
Old 02-19-2016, 08:34 PM   #18457
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneg View Post
What are you guys using as a scale to weight your cars? I just got the Sky RC corner weight system to check not only total weight but balance front to rear and side to side. I haven't used it yet on my CE but I did use it on my truggy. I'm going to race on carpet so balance is very important, at least it was in my sedan days. Any recomendations on front to rear balance (%)? I got the brass bulkhead (45g) and a Ti screw kit. I will post what I find out regarding weight. I have attached a pic of what I found on my truggy.

Anither question is regarding the Ti screw kit. It's a Protek kit but it says not to use it in high stress areas, shock mounts or places where locktite is required. So with that where do you guys don't recommend I use the Ti screws.

I use the Sky RC corner weight system too. It's a really neat device. I wondered about weight distribution too, but for now my priority is just bringing the overall weight down. Once I get it closer to 1500 I'll start playing more with weight distribution.

As for titanium screws, a lot of people highly recommend the screws from Lunsford. I myself have bought a few Protek ti screws and they seem to strip a bit easily, so I would be hesitant about replacing all of my screws with them (right now I'm just using them for my button wing mounts and slipper eliminator). The Lunsford set is roughly twice as expensive but people say it's worth the price and I think they can be used anywhere.
Tracks: Pitstop Hobbies, Bumps & Jumps
Kalio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:39 PM   #18458
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalio View Post
I use the Sky RC corner weight system too. It's a really neat device. I wondered about weight distribution too, but for now my priority is just bringing the overall weight down. Once I get it closer to 1500 I'll start playing more with weight distribution.

As for titanium screws, a lot of people highly recommend the screws from Lunsford. I myself have bought a few Protek ti screws and they seem to strip a bit easily, so I would be hesitant about replacing all of my screws with them (right now I'm just using them for my button wing mounts and slipper eliminator). The Lunsford set is roughly twice as expensive but people say it's worth the price and I think they can be used anywhere.
Thanks for the reply. I will run mod with a 8.5 motor so the total weight is not such a big issue. I still want to get it down a bit. I used to race the B4 with a 13 turn double or a 11 turn single brushed motors in my outdoor track. I almost stripped one of the D mount screws so I they are not indestructible. But I did replace most of them without any issues. I didn't do the shock mounts on top or bottom. I'm waiting for confirmation on where not to use them Ti screws. Lunsford products are the best but $$$. Since I'm trying to be on a budget I couldn't get myself to spend more. Not right now anyway. I still have more cars to do so I will need more screws.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:23 PM   #18459
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just2much19 View Post
I have along with many others on the forum, if you go back about 10 or so pages you'll see photos of mine.

Which lay down conversion? 3 or 4 gear? I used the lay down conversion from Shapeways 3D printing in 3 gear. I did not drill the two additional holes for the waterfall and I know of others who did not also. You have to trim pieces off of the side rails.

While I was in there I added cut down gears, carbide and tungsten balls and thrust cage as well as ceramic bearings.

If you are using the S2 body you will need to do additional cutting to the top of the motor plate.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
thank you sir!! I have the Shapeways 3 gear and I wasn't planning on drilling either.

If you can send me more pics that would be great. I have my old aluminum chassis but I wanted to use this with my carbon fiber chassis.

i think this will turn out awesome.
check out the new 12th scale GT class! https://www.facebook.com/groups/148391312353349/
support your local tracks- Beachline Raceway-386-Full Throttle Raceway
JEFFs SC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:49 PM   #18460
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC8390 View Post
I thought about the CF, just wondered if that or any aftermarket chassis had any adverse affects on the car. We all know the JConcepts name, Im not sure about the others that make the CF... which is why I was leaning that way. JC claims that chassis to be just as stiff and strong, just lighter.
You will notice a slight change, the JC chassis is nice but for only a measely 23 grams it's not worth it.

Now if you want a NOTICEABLE difference go with a carbon fiber chassis, that's what I run. Super light and just as strong yet has flex which creates more traction. The flex can be tuned with the side posts and loosening screws around the chassis.

I run X Factory but others run Plan B and are equally as happy. Both high quality kits.
check out the new 12th scale GT class! https://www.facebook.com/groups/148391312353349/
support your local tracks- Beachline Raceway-386-Full Throttle Raceway
JEFFs SC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:45 AM   #18461
Tech Rookie

For the slipper eliminator what spur gears are u guys using
ErikTheRcGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:44 AM   #18462
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikTheRcGuy View Post
For the slipper eliminator what spur gears are u guys using
Kimbrough
Just2much19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:49 PM   #18463
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

does the V2 top shaft work with 3 and 4 gear trannys?
RC*PHREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #18464
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK View Post
does the V2 top shaft work with 3 and 4 gear trannys?
If it's the original 4 gear, no. If it's the new 4 gear case then yes, they are the same internals.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:09 PM   #18465
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

thought so. thanks matt.
RC*PHREAK is offline   Reply With Quote