R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 01-29-2016, 08:36 AM   #18061
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Why bother? Is the car losing?

Is the car holding any of the team drivers back? They haven't had to Frankenstein a car to be competitive other than the goofy worlds track, so what is there to worry about...
I agree. They seem to be happy letting people print and mod the car for carpet. They are focused on the nitro worlds and putting out the new wheeler.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:38 AM   #18062
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It should be pointed out that the fundamental suspension geometry of the B5 was the same as the B4 and the B3, which was derived from the 89 and 91 IFMAR stealth cars so designing a whole new car isn't a must. They've taken what has worked and have constantly refined it over the past 25 years rather than constantly reinventing the wheel. Just because a laydown gearbox won the worlds doesn't mean that it's the best design. That's a bad trap to fall into just like thinking that the winning car's setup sheet is the ultimate performance potential for the car. Those setups keep changing though. Learn what changes affect the performance of the car and learn to tune around your own driving style and then evolve and improve from there. It's easy to copy what you see. It's hard to achieve the same results.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:10 AM   #18063
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
It should be pointed out that the fundamental suspension geometry of the B5 was the same as the B4 and the B3, which was derived from the 89 and 91 IFMAR stealth cars so designing a whole new car isn't a must. They've taken what has worked and have constantly refined it over the past 25 years rather than constantly reinventing the wheel. Just because a laydown gearbox won the worlds doesn't mean that it's the best design. That's a bad trap to fall into just like thinking that the winning car's setup sheet is the ultimate performance potential for the car. Those setups keep changing though. Learn what changes affect the performance of the car and learn to tune around your own driving style and then evolve and improve from there. It's easy to copy what you see. It's hard to achieve the same results.
Correct!!! The molds are very costly so changing every year or so its going to imposible. AE will change a design when they feel they have to change so many parts that the complete platform is not competitive.

Doing injection molding is not as easy to do as 3D printing and the cost are astronomical when you compare the two. The laydown tranny does have advantages over the other designs but those advantages can only be noticed in very high bite situations. We only race on carpet, outdoors is mostly for nitro since the tracks are big and very nasty. 1/8 buggies and some short course trucks is what normally races here outdoor that are electric. So in my situation a low center of gravity will help. But that does not mean that a normal 3 gear won't be competitive.
jneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:58 AM   #18064
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Why bother? Is the car losing?

Is the car holding any of the team drivers back? They haven't had to Frankenstein a car to be competitive other than the goofy worlds track, so what is there to worry about...
I know a guy that did the LRG 3 gear mod to his buggy on our high to ultra high hard packed clay track with astro sections and hes the fastest guy out there by a a second.

Theres guys with xb2's and yoko's going faster than the regular transmission so that design does indeed work.
JEFFs SC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:33 AM   #18065
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFs SC10 View Post
I know a guy that did the LRG 3 gear mod to his buggy on our high to ultra high hard packed clay track with astro sections and hes the fastest guy out there by a a second.

Theres guys with xb2's and yoko's going faster than the regular transmission so that design does indeed work.
You imparted to us 3 gear was a fad. Sounds like it works pretty good.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:59 AM   #18066
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'd like to see a correlation between those fastest guys and the total time they practice and race vs the total practice and race efforts of those who don't have the lay down gearboxes. Causation and correlation aren't the same thing.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:57 PM   #18067
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
B4 platform ran for what 10 YEARS. The B5 is how old??
Not saying next month just saying it will change.
jslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:05 PM   #18068
Tech Regular

I could see a possible B5.1 (I think they'll drop the 'm' moving forward) come out with the chassis drilled for an optional laydown box, and maybe a convertible rear shock tower allowing shocks to be mounted forward of the arm. Developing a whole new car wouldn't make sense for reasons already stated.
boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #18069
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

If a laydown tranny is better because of lower cg, woudn't it be better for dirt also?
Old 01-29-2016, 06:08 PM   #18070
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cridd View Post
If a laydown tranny is better because of lower cg, woudn't it be better for dirt also?
Depending on the track but it will likely just break loose. High bite clay seems like it would do well on.

Everyone one is comparing cars at their tracks but saying nothing about the drivers. Everyone is of difference experience and as someone else mentioned people's practice and race experience differs.

Everyone here is super helpful and giving pointers when someone has an issue. I say find what works for your driving style at your track. If someone else is racing the same track then that setup would be a good starting point.

I don't think the B5M is going anywhere. AE is just going to continue to release versions and optional parts. If it works why replace it?
Just2much19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:22 PM   #18071
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
I'd like to see a correlation between those fastest guys and the total time they practice and race vs the total practice and race efforts of those who don't have the lay down gearboxes. Causation and correlation aren't the same thing.
Yea Ill get right on that for you.
JEFFs SC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:37 PM   #18072
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cridd View Post
Laydown tranny is mainly better (on super high grip tracks) 'cause of the forward position of the motor ; the lcg, just limit the rolling effect .
On (real) dirt , we need the opposite, more traction, so more backward masses just like the b5m standard tranny (d216 is a good example to ).
5tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:18 PM   #18073
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Question, bought the fox shock bodes for my car. And realized I bought the wrong size rears. I bought the 12x27.5 rears. Will these actually work on the rear of my car?
Old 01-30-2016, 10:22 PM   #18074
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
Question, bought the fox shock bodes for my car. And realized I bought the wrong size rears. I bought the 12x27.5 rears. Will these actually work on the rear of my car?
You "could" use them, but it'd have less down travel and more up travel than the correct 12x31 bodies.
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:01 AM   #18075
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Question, does the championship edition come with a gear or ball diff?
the big rc is offline   Reply With Quote