R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 01-20-2016, 07:34 AM   #17941
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cridd View Post
Never heard before. Sound a little cra cra.

Use X rings on your shock build is the norm and adjust package to reflect the amount of travel. That post feels like a slam on AE more then a helpful post.

Kody N. has posted some good shock package info on Facebook, may want to take a look.
I was not slamming AE, except for the missing parts dig. If AE asks the people packing the kits to be more careful packing kits because of my post, I can live with that.
I love the B5M lite and I would recommend it to a friend. I won first place in my local B-main this Sunday.
To understand the bottom out O-rings (or fuel tubing), look at the rear shock of any Motocross motorcycle rear shock from any bike built between 1988~2017.
Eddie_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:41 AM   #17942
Tech Rookie

I just purchased one of these kits and while installing the rear clamping 7mm hex on the upgraded axle I broke the bolt off in the hex. Is there a better aftermarket hex I can buy that will fit on the upgraded axle shaft? Thanks
jstang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #17943
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstang50 View Post
I just purchased one of these kits and while installing the rear clamping 7mm hex on the upgraded axle I broke the bolt off in the hex. Is there a better aftermarket hex I can buy that will fit on the upgraded axle shaft? Thanks
The AE hex is good quality. How hard were you cranking on that tiny screw. Just a little snug is all it needs. It's not going to fall off.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:06 AM   #17944
Tech Initiate

Bump stop shock doughnut

http://images.ridemonkey.com/index.p...004_191910.jpg

Last edited by DeadstickDuck; 01-23-2016 at 03:09 PM.
DeadstickDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:18 AM   #17945
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstang50 View Post
The AE hexes are usually good, but Exotec makes some. Just be aware that there was a running change to a 5mm rear axle for the lite or CE. If you have the old basic B5M kit, it might be an SAE size axle.
Eddie_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:40 AM   #17946
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
The AE hex is good quality. How hard were you cranking on that tiny screw. Just a little snug is all it needs. It's not going to fall off.
The AE hexes are trash. JC needs to release theirs for the cars/trucks.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:41 AM   #17947
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadstickDuck View Post
for offroad, we mainly limit the up travel to prevent the bone from hitting the outdrive. I know Cav did that at nats for either his st or sc, I forget which. I rarely ever see it done for any other reason
Old 01-20-2016, 08:43 AM   #17948
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
The AE hexes are trash. JC needs to release theirs for the cars/trucks.
Mine work fine. I don't hulk on them though. I also cant wait until JC releases the hexes separate...until then I will just use my JC CVA's

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Old 01-20-2016, 08:46 AM   #17949
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Mine work fine. I don't hulk on them though. I also cant wait until JC releases the hexes separate...until then I will just use my JC CVA's
my b5m hexes have been fine. My sc5m ones stripped out and I was aware of the issue and I was super gentle with them always. IMO, the screw diameter is too narrow. The went to a thinner screw than the 4 series cars. I have the JC front hexes on my car and they work well. I snapped an AE alum bellcrank also, so I am not overly loving the AE alum parts right now.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:50 AM   #17950
Tech Rookie

Quote:
lol well I guess I was cranking on it a little more than I should have... ok hopefully I can find some in stock somewhere. Thanks
jstang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:58 AM   #17951
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_E View Post
Put the optional 3mm x 8 set screws everywhere you can. (makes sense when you build it) C.A. glue in every suspension insert in every suspension component or it will be a sloppy mess in 2 weeks.

3mm X.5 shims on the rear hub to remove play on hinge-pin.

Install 2 red shock O-rings plus a 1 mm spacer on the outer shock shafts, on the inside of the spring cup to limit the chassis dragging on steep jump faces. It should have 1 mm of air gap between the bottom of the chassis plate and the table when you push down hard on the towers. Free the ball cups as needed, because there are a lot of poorly sized ball cups out there.

Keep a pen and paper close when you build to write down the part numbers of the missing kit parts. It's much faster than trying to remember after it's half built.

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:22 AM   #17952
Tech Initiate

Break it, upgrade it and slap yourself upside de head. Break that and you need to seek a councillor.
DeadstickDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:33 PM   #17953
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have the JC black hexes, mine has the 5 mm axles as well I ordered them and they would not fit as stated but what I did was found a drill bit that the hex would slide over with the clamping screw loose, than just a slight twist of clamping screw and used a 12 mm wrench to hold it while using the drill to slowly ream it out took a few minutes but worked like a charm. black hexes -- yes that is an additional .10 sec per lap lol.
jslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #17954
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslider View Post
I have the JC black hexes, mine has the 5 mm axles as well I ordered them and they would not fit as stated but what I did was found a drill bit that the hex would slide over with the clamping screw loose, than just a slight twist of clamping screw and used a 12 mm wrench to hold it while using the drill to slowly ream it out took a few minutes but worked like a charm. black hexes -- yes that is an additional .10 sec per lap lol.
The JC black hexes currently available were made to work with the original B5/B5m axles. Then AE went to the HD axles on the truck and started making this the standard...leaving the aftermarket companies to redesign them. The JC black hexes that come with their CVA kits will work on the updated HD axles and should be available separately in the future.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Old 01-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #17955
Dal
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dal

Hello everybody,
Does anyone know where to get, or what to use, for a 14mm rear wheel adaptor.
So I can use my 14mm hex rear wheels on this car?
Dal is offline   Reply With Quote