R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 01-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #17821
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
I read it on the internet so it must be true.

Seriously though, just because someone said "No" at that time doesn't mean they will not do it.
I say +1 as well with the trend of tracks going to either high bite clay or turf and carpet the demand will rise and just as the mid motor started with aftermarket adds the laydown is doing the same thing I think it will be a little while but eventually they will end up with a laydown transmission car. because quite simply someone is going to do it, whether it be another manufacturer and they follow or if they are the first to have it in kit form. not to mention the fact that they have to have a drastic enough change soon that will the ""next generation" that will need to replace the B5M light.

it is either laydown or back to plastic chassis's again LOL.
jslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:10 PM   #17822
Tech Initiate

Hummmm, Magnesium.
DeadstickDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:30 PM   #17823
Tech Addict

AE once said that they were not looking to make a 4wd buggy. That was when the BJ4 first came out. JConcepts were working with AE from the get go. Then the update for the BJ4 came out and a little later the B44 was almost identical to the seconfd gen BJ4.

When it will come out? Who knows? But if the B5M looses it's market share then you can bet something will magically appear.
jneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:48 PM   #17824
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneako View Post
+1

Why would AE say they WERE developing a laydown gearbox? All that would do is slow down sales of the already packaged kits.
Maybe they will just add it into a CE.1 kit and do away with the three gear. Lol. Hehe.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:59 PM   #17825
Tech Prophet

The Laydown transmission wont do me much good since its meant for high traction but with the LCG it could still help a lot especially with 4 gear mid motor.

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:29 PM   #17826
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I recently just started racing on carpet and will be trying out the anti-roll bar tomorrow... I'm trying to minimize lifting the inside wheel around corners. (1.6 x 2 hole all the way around, 37.5/AE red front, 32.5/AE blue rear, 18mm ride height, raised roll center by removing spacers at both towers, etc etc). No I dont have a laydown transmission

I've never used an anti-roll bar and I can barely find any info on them. Essentially my question is, what should the turnbuckles look like; should they be vertical? what effects does making them longer/shorter have?

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1564/...b01f6510_o.png
shdwboxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:03 PM   #17827
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 478 (100%+)

I'm curious. Is running on carpet basically like running onroad? What do jumps and "features" look like? It seems to me that its not really off-road. I understand that certain types of carpet are super-ultra high bite but at what point is it not really offroad?? I've always thought racing on clay was a novelty. Carpet sees a little sci-fi to me. How big is the typical carpet track?
Old 01-14-2016, 11:46 PM   #17828
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
I'm curious. Is running on carpet basically like running onroad? What do jumps and "features" look like? It seems to me that its not really off-road. I understand that certain types of carpet are super-ultra high bite but at what point is it not really offroad?? I've always thought racing on clay was a novelty. Carpet sees a little sci-fi to me. How big is the typical carpet track?
I think your right, if it is not on dirt it's not off-road. It's not on road because it has jumps and not asphalt. It's a hybrid.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:05 AM   #17829
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

it's not huge, I think it's something like 60 x 90ft.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1682/...6a601f0a_o.png

essentially, yes, it's an onroad track with jumps added at will. It's all very new still, only a couple of weeks old so everything is still TBD. Still building more jumps and obstacles. But I can see the draw for the owners... low maintenance, attract twice the crowd (there was no indoor onroad facility here), much cleaner, track changes in an hour or two with just a couple of people utilizing no special equipment like a bobcat or back hoe, not having to water the track etc etc. For us no cleaning tires, consistent traction, minimal tire wear and no more tire sauce. Personally I dont think it's far off from the smooth clay tracks with people running primes.

Interested to see how the anti-roll bar does assuming Im doing it right
shdwboxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:10 AM   #17830
Tech Initiate

Hey guys
I just got the new b5mce last week and ran it a few times. Im having a hard time getting the car to stop pushing/understeering on sharp right or left handers and causing me to have to wait till im straight to put the power down.

Also in high speed corners im almost coilbound on the rf and causing oversteer on exit.

Im running the Gullwing aarms setup and stock springs u build it with in the kit.

Any suggestions thanks ahead of time
thartz36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:32 AM   #17831
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I just purchased a B5M Lite and a CE. The CE ball cups were fine, but all of the ball cups on the Lite bind. I thought AE resolved this issue. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what are you doing to resolve the problem. I've tried pinch the ball cups and it helped a little but they still bind.
rcfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:35 AM   #17832
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfiend View Post
I just purchased a B5M Lite and a CE. The CE ball cups were fine, but all of the ball cups on the Lite bind. I thought AE resolved this issue. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what are you doing to resolve the problem. I've tried pinch the ball cups and it helped a little but they still bind.
Put them on upside down. Pop them off and install them correctly...Or go spend money on a ball cup reamer. Or chuck the ball in a drill and polish it with fine sandpaper.
RC Pro Racing VA, Awesome Hobbies(RIP), Debbies RC World VA, Thunder Alley Raceway NC
Jerm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:37 AM   #17833
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm13 View Post
Put them on upside down. Pop them off and install them correctly...Or go spend money on a ball cup reamer. Or chuck the ball in a drill and polish it with fine sandpaper.
Thanks I'll give that a try. Any suggestions on ball cup reamers?
rcfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:45 AM   #17834
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfiend View Post
The way I did it was leave the ball in the end, and chuck the threads, and slowly work them until they freed up.. Barely any play, and crazy smooth.. Just what I did..
WonTonsChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:13 AM   #17835
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonTonsChicken View Post
The way I did it was leave the ball in the end, and chuck the threads, and slowly work them until they freed up.. Barely any play, and crazy smooth.. Just what I did..
Need to emphasize that word "SLOW."
Don't want to go ludicrous speed with the drill and melt the ball end
RC Pro Racing VA, Awesome Hobbies(RIP), Debbies RC World VA, Thunder Alley Raceway NC
Jerm13 is offline   Reply With Quote