R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 01-13-2016, 08:21 AM   #17791
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick1 View Post
yes, stock chassis is better in my opinion. it handles better
best car stock or mod, stock chassis, 1560 grams

also one of our fastest stock cars is stock chassis
That makes me feel better since I just got the CE version which comes with the stock chassis. I thought about getting the lite version but I think I can get it down to 1500 grams without it. I would think having a bulk of the car's weight (relative to everything else) so low to the ground would actually improve handling anyway.
Tracks: Pitstop Hobbies, Bumps & Jumps
Kalio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:25 AM   #17792
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalio View Post
That makes me feel better since I just got the CE version which comes with the stock chassis. I thought about getting the lite version but I think I can get it down to 1500 grams without it. I would think having a bulk of the car's weight (relative to everything else) so low to the ground would actually improve handling anyway.
IMO the best my car has ever felt was when weight was in the 1530-1550ish range.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:17 AM   #17793
Tech Initiate

Steering resolution seems very rough using 1024 resolution receiver, though the Savox sc1258tg is 4096 resolution, there simply is not any fine or "finesse" in steering near center neutral. Straight tracking is not straightforward, one click Left is too much and it drifts off center, go the other way 1-click Right and you get the same thing.

Is there a shorter servo horn option where the ball orientation is closer to the servo output shaft, where the arm has to move in a longer arc to steer the wheels with smoother incremental steps?

My TS-920tg brushless servo is too choppy so I replaced it with a Savox SC1258tg unit and noticed it made a huge difference, guessing the 4096 resolution gives a smoother operation, but there is no smooth steering around center. It would be nice to drive down a line without making it look like chicane work.

Last edited by DeadstickDuck; 01-13-2016 at 10:34 AM.
DeadstickDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:19 AM   #17794
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadstickDuck View Post
Steering resolution seems very rough using 1024 resolution receiver, though the Savox sc1258tg is 4096 resolution, there simply is not any fine or "finesse" in steering near center neutral. Straight tracking is not straightforward, one click Left is too much and it drifts off center, go the other way 1-click Right and you get the same thing.

Is there a shorter servo horn option where the ball orientation is closer to the servo output shaft, where the arm has to move in a longer arc to steer the wheels with smoother incremental steps?

My TS-920 servo is too choppy so I replaced it with a sc1258tg and it made a huge difference, guessing the 4096 resolution gives a smoother operation, but there is no smooth steering around center. It would be nice to drive down a line without making it look like chicane work.
Does your radio have subtrim? This is a finer L/R trim adjustment. Your L and R EPA's should be within a couple points of each other as well.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Old 01-13-2016, 10:28 AM   #17795
Tech Initiate

EPA is set at 75 each side to hit wheel lock side to side, without pulling against the swing arms/cause buzzing servo strain, just lock to lock.

My subtrim is set Left 17, as the center is actually off due to the location of the splines inside the horn itself, and going one tooth over means I have to set sub-trim to Right 20. I chose Left sided teeth since it didn't need as much correction.

It would be nice to see center as being "center" without needing to adjust the turnbuckles for a mechanical correction. LoL, or physically sliding the servo over a mm which isn't going to be easy, it's pretty tight in there.

I do have Expo and it seems to be smoother when set at -35% and the near-center movements are smoother but you hit a little more steering beyond the center 35% range and the steering becomes more aggressive and it leads to the rear end sliding out from under you in the turns.....you simply can not ride the edge and counter steer effectively. So no Expo is my choice.

Last edited by DeadstickDuck; 01-13-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:54 AM   #17796
Tech Regular

how much toe do you have?
Old 01-13-2016, 11:08 AM   #17797
Tech Initiate

Toe is set at the stock angle per 1st time setup instructions. The FL has not been driven yet except to set steering trim. I could plug in a glitch buster but at this point there hasn't been any glitches, there simply is no fine steering should you just steer a little to each side.

I would guess my toe is +5.

Perhaps my Tx steering wheel potentiometer has some headband around center. But I tested this out with a servo tester and center is indeed at ~150u but you can clearly tell the car's wheels don't have a lot of finesse, just kinda sloppy.

No play in any of the linkage, actually I'm quite pleased with the engineering in place on this car, very smooth.

Last edited by DeadstickDuck; 01-13-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:31 AM   #17798
Tech Initiate

Doesn't the 1024 resolution mean there are @3 incremental steps between each degree? I should see some fine steering around center. Going 4096 would mean 12 steps per degree in steering.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:34 AM   #17799
Tech Initiate

Shrug, maybe the B5MFL doesn't need drag strip centerline accuracy lol.... Bonk, I should actually drive the damn thing once the shell is dry. The carpet track does keep the car moving all over the place so no fine steering is needed. Humm.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #17800
Super Moderator

You should be able to fine tune steering in a straight line with subtrim.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Old 01-13-2016, 12:44 PM   #17801
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye dan View Post
I see Team Associated and Tower hobbies neither one show the B5M Lite or Ce any ideas?
The CE kit is done. It was a limited item. I tried like hell last week to order one through my LHS, but AE and the distributor (HRP) for my LHS are out of CE kits and will not be making any more. I finally just went through Amain where a few are still available.

The Lite kits should be back in stock now or VERY soon. The Lites will be the only b5 kit for a few months. I went round and round with emails and phone calls and this is the best info I could gather.
Finalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:57 PM   #17802
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalist View Post
The CE kit is done. It was a limited item. I tried like hell last week to order one through my LHS, but AE and the distributor (HRP) for my LHS are out of CE kits and will not be making any more. I finally just went through Amain where a few are still available.

The Lite kits should be back in stock now or VERY soon. The Lites will be the only b5 kit for a few months. I went round and round with emails and phone calls and this is the best info I could gather.

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:59 PM   #17803
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

finally done! The kit was so much easier to build than my b44.3.Finding a CE was the hardest part. I wanted to buy from LHS, but their distributor and AE will not be supplying anymore CE kits. The lite kit is it for a while.

Overall, the kit is a super easy build compared to the b44.3. However, the CE "extra" parts make things a little confusing. There are basically three "stock" set ups now if you look at each of the manuals, and certain parts were hidden deep within bags. For example the CE supplement calls for 6mm ball stud with zero shims on the steering rack while the standard and lite kits call for 8mm with 2mm shims...several things like that throughout.

When I first opened the box I saw those black steel turnbuckles and thought, "[email protected]! I got the wrong parts!" so I started looking for other things like the milled motor plate and couldn't find them. Turns out everything is there... just buried in bags within bags within bags. My ball cups were completely free, so that was a small work bonus, and my servo arm and link don't hit my servo as some are finding recently.

I have an SLRC chassis that feels like awesome quality just dying to get in this buggy, but I'm going with the stock chassis and mod motor since I already had a fairly new motor and very likely go to 17.5 stock in a couple months once I can spend some on lightening the weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-body.jpg   Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-inside.jpg  
Finalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:55 PM   #17804
Tech Elite

Quote:
Shrug, maybe the B5MFL doesn't need drag strip centerline accuracy lol.... Bonk, I should actually drive the damn thing once the shell is dry. The carpet track does keep the car moving all over the place so no fine steering is needed. Humm.
depending on the radio there are settings to adjust the rate of the trim and sub-trim steps. Just gonna take a geek translator reading the manual.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:23 PM   #17805
Tech Adept

Quote:
Toe is set at the stock angle per 1st time setup instructions. The FL has not been driven yet except to set steering trim. I could plug in a glitch buster but at this point there hasn't been any glitches, there simply is no fine steering should you just steer a little to each side.

I would guess my toe is +5.
Lite set up sheets usually call out 0 +/- 1 degree. +5 is excessive.
belewis01 is online now   Reply With Quote