R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree7Likes

Old 03-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #1741
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theroc View Post
Xrings? You guys using kyosho?

Anyone been using the gear diff? If you are what diff oil?

Thanks
Nope, Associated. Click here.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #1742
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

bearing greese vs bearing oil which should i use building the kit?
xTotalghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #1743
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTotalghost View Post
bearing greese vs bearing oil which should i use building the kit?
Bearing oil and remove the seals in the transmission. Everywhere else leave them as is. Just my .02
mugenhatchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:04 PM   #1744
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/product...s/fixtools.htm I use this with motor spray. then one drop of oil. Just the way i do it..
Old 03-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #1745
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Finished the roller tonight. Man, by the way some of you were talking about the ball cups, I was prepared for a fight. Turns out, it's no big deal. All I did was ChapStick the threads, and screwed them together. No drilling, taping, or reaming. Just thread and go. I can adjust all I want on the car and the cups are not popping off.

My only "issue" is the ball diff is NOT smooth. It's a bit notchy. I took it apart and re-did it several times. Same result. I'm hoping it will break-in. If not, that gear diff has my name on it.

The Certainty Principal - "Only the person who doesn't fully understand the problem has complete certainty about the best solution and its consequences. Certainty is proportional to the square of Ignorance (C≈IČ)"
Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #1746
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I normally race 17.5 in my area but was waning to go ahead and throw in a mod motor I was seeing what's a good turn motor to run I was thinking 8.5 but was not sure if I should go 7.5 instead? My mod 4x4 I ran 6.5 just turned it down in my remote.
Rd. 2 TQ-1st--Rd. 3 3rd
Mxer59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:00 PM   #1747
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxer59 View Post
I normally race 17.5 in my area but was waning to go ahead and throw in a mod motor I was seeing what's a good turn motor to run I was thinking 8.5 but was not sure if I should go 7.5 instead? My mod 4x4 I ran 6.5 just turned it down in my remote.
Depends on the size track you have, for a smaller track an 8.5 should be more than enough. I know most of the team drivers run 8.0 pretty much everywhere it seems.
ntJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:25 AM   #1748
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasHB View Post

Comes in 12, 14 or 18ga
Thank you for making me not give up!!
TC4
SC10 4x4
Pellefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:02 AM   #1749
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Here's a bit of an odd question, I have a fair bit of fresh rubber mounted on b4.1 pin drive rear wheels, any chance that they will fit over the b5m drive pins with the hexes removed?
kingy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:54 AM   #1750
Tech Apprentice

Pin wheels will fit over the drive pins but you would have to also use the axle spacer that goes behind the pin from the B4.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:09 AM   #1751
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corners View Post
Finished the roller tonight. Man, by the way some of you were talking about the ball cups, I was prepared for a fight. Turns out, it's no big deal. All I did was ChapStick the threads, and screwed them together. No drilling, taping, or reaming. Just thread and go. I can adjust all I want on the car and the cups are not popping off.

My only "issue" is the ball diff is NOT smooth. It's a bit notchy. I took it apart and re-did it several times. Same result. I'm hoping it will break-in. If not, that gear diff has my name on it.
+1 on the ballcups w stock tie rods. Perhaps a running change or maybe something different with part cooling during manufacturing. Couldn't find my chapstick so they are dry for now! Haven't built shocks or diff yet. Skipped over messy stuff until today.
Only issues so far is manual call outs not matching a part or two with no suppliment sheet, and rear tower screws did not match lengths - one was 2mm shorter than the other. could be a user error though!
Tranny halves screwing in made snapping noises due to tightness.. we'll seeif the screws are in one piece today.

Kit build is probably the best ever for AE. Not much flashing to hassle with.

The biggest issue are the metric threads...my hand is tired from turning that wrench. Time for some power tools!
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:59 AM   #1752
Tech Apprentice

As far as the diffs not being smooth try sanding the rings with 800 grit wet and then 1000 grit dry. Clean off with brake clean assemble and break in. Diff in mine is super smooth with no slipping/barking.

I hear you on the metric threads. Love the fact that it feels so solid going together but man it gives your hands a workout lol.

On a sidenote, who's going to be the first to make a carbon plate chassis?
Old 03-08-2014, 05:59 AM   #1753
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenhatchie View Post
The MIP B4 Shaft will not work. This is a metric car and the b4 used the 3/16x3/8 bearings. You'd have better luck fitting a Kyosho RB6 top shaft with 5x12x4 bearings (which I am just speculating at, so no factual evidence this will actually work) or better yet, just get the AE B5 top shaft.
Yup b4 wont work and the rb6 wont work either, tooth count is different i believe and they use different bearings.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:02 AM   #1754
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

That's weird. Mine is like glass after several race days. Sanded the rings, broke it in and used ceramic thrust balls though ...
34x17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:29 AM   #1755
Tech Legend

Quote:

very common mistake is to overtighten the diff & dent a ring or flat spot a carbide diff ball. Also common to loose a bearing for the thurst bearing.

Disassemble and have someone with experience help.

The gear diff is the best choice if running on extreme high traction or carpet.

On clay the ball diff's performance is better by offering more traction.

BTW

No need for ceramic thrust , steel performs the same and has the same durability.

But you will need ceramic diff balls for their performance & extra durability.
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote