R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 12-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #17446
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisNyholm View Post
I am looking at ordering a b5m factory lite from tower hobbies this week and im looking for suggestions on what else I should be picking up with the kit. I am going to be running 17.5 blinky on hard packed clay that has decent tractions, slightly damp. So far I threw the aluminum shock caps in the kit and I am not certain what other things may be needed. Hard arms? different wings? A suggestion for a reasonably priced battery?

I have a gift card to my local track but they don't have the kit in stock so I will be buying my esc, motor, and additional batteries from them. Just looking what I might need from tower so I wont have to place a second order. Sorry for the newb question, I haven't been into rc for almost 10 years when I had my xray t2, so offroad buggies are new to me!! Thanks!
I like the way my b5m drives with the MIP Pucks system. I get better acceleration/deceleration. I let off the throttle a little bit later into the turn with the increased deceleration from the Pucks system. A draw back to the Pucks system was I have lost several pins, even with lock tight. I've been checking them after every session lately and haven't had to worry bout it since.

Also, if they have the waterfall fan mount, I'd suggest getting that and a fan. You will have to get a different body though. The body that came with my factory light would not fit when I mounted a fan. My temps are 20 degrees cooler with the fan.

I like the protek 4250 shorty 100C battery. I got mine when Amain had a 40% off sale. It's light weight and can last me over 10 minutes with my stock motor.

Other than that, the resest of my investment has been going into wheels and tires. I go through rear tires pretty quick on my outdoor dirt track. I'm lucky if a set will last 2 race weekends. My fronts tend to last 2x as long.
AE SC5M
AE ProSC 4x4
derFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #17447
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

Where is this fan waterfall ?
Old 12-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #17448
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorman007 View Post
Where is this fan waterfall ?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/search?s=waterfall

It blows air directly onto the motor.
AE SC5M
AE ProSC 4x4
Old 12-29-2015, 10:12 AM   #17449
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derFF View Post

Thanx sir
Old 12-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #17450
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jstump

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrAcOn View Post
I think he means to say spring cups. Not ball cups.

yes sorry spring cups
jstump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:43 AM   #17451
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

My daughter finally got to drive her new CE yesterday. Car was really good with the kit set-up. It did have a little push in two of the corners. I think it was mainly due to the track being 2 days old, but I made 2 small adjustments and it was 10 times better than her old 22. Car jumps, corners and accelerates very well. She was keeping pace and was passing some of the 4wd guys. Got to hand it to AE for making an awesome car.
RC Pro Racing VA, Awesome Hobbies(RIP), Debbies RC World VA, Thunder Alley Raceway NC
Jerm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:55 AM   #17452
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm13 View Post
My daughter finally got to drive her new CE yesterday. Car was really good with the kit set-up. It did have a little push in two of the corners. I think it was mainly due to the track being 2 days old, but I made 2 small adjustments and it was 10 times better than her old 22. Car jumps, corners and accelerates very well. She was keeping pace and was passing some of the 4wd guys. Got to hand it to AE for making an awesome car.
What adjustments did you make?
AE SC5M
AE ProSC 4x4
Old 12-29-2015, 12:24 PM   #17453
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:

Will that with the s2 body?
JEFFs SC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:27 PM   #17454
Tech Initiate

I had to use the JConcepts B5M "Finnisher" Body to be able to use the fan.
AE SC5M
AE ProSC 4x4
Old 12-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #17455
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
I like the way my b5m drives with the MIP Pucks system. I get better acceleration/deceleration. I let off the throttle a little bit later into the turn with the increased deceleration from the Pucks system. A draw back to the Pucks system was I have lost several pins, even with lock tight. I've been checking them after every session lately and haven't had to worry bout it since.

Also, if they have the waterfall fan mount, I'd suggest getting that and a fan. You will have to get a different body though. The body that came with my factory light would not fit when I mounted a fan. My temps are 20 degrees cooler with the fan.

I like the protek 4250 shorty 100C battery. I got mine when Amain had a 40% off sale. It's light weight and can last me over 10 minutes with my stock motor.

Other than that, the resest of my investment has been going into wheels and tires. I go through rear tires pretty quick on my outdoor dirt track. I'm lucky if a set will last 2 race weekends. My fronts tend to last 2x as long.
Thank you so much for the informative reply! I'll definitely look into the waterfall mount and a fan, but I think the MIP system may be a bit out of my price range.

Though I am considering the CE kit as opposed to the factory lite. Not sure if the additional $50 will make it worthwhile for a relatively new racer? The store was trying hard to sell me it, but didn't really have any great information except that it was the same setup as a winning car. Though the Fox shocks seem to be a pricy upgrade... Hmm. What to do, what to do.
DennisNyholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #17456
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Thank you so much for the informative reply! I'll definitely look into the waterfall mount and a fan, but I think the MIP system may be a bit out of my price range.

Though I am considering the CE kit as opposed to the factory lite. Not sure if the additional $50 will make it worthwhile for a relatively new racer? The store was trying hard to sell me it, but didn't really have any great information except that it was the same setup as a winning car. Though the Fox shocks seem to be a pricy upgrade... Hmm. What to do, what to do.
GET THE FACTORY LIGHT AND RUN IT,
jslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:42 PM   #17457
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast8 View Post
Anyone know off hand if any other manufacturers spring cups with a taller inner spring perch fit the b5/m and retain similar off set and sit snug on the eyelet?

The Losi (22) are close but don't fit snug on the AE eyelet
The Avid (that say the perch is taller) is the same height
Yokomo YZ-2 look close??
Koyosho (Rb6) and Serpent (whatever that2wd buggy is called) have a very small inner perch.

Seems like every time I get bumped in the rear (gigity!), it knocks my spring on top of the cup. Yes, I'm running the right cups and I'm running standard droop; 1 shim in the rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
Try zip tie the spring to the cup. This helps with the spring popping of the cup a lot. When do you race? I dont think I have seen you at srs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstump View Post
AE b5\b5m comes with 3 sizes for the ball cups, i like to use the mid one on my b5m and sc5m all the way around. What are you trying to achieve? Have you downloaded the setup sheet from rc10.com ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstump View Post
yes sorry spring cups
jstump, onefast8 is talking about the springs popping over the inner lip of the spring cups. He isn't asking which one of the 3 supplied cups to use. Get it now??

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:46 PM   #17458
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslider View Post
GET THE FACTORY LIGHT AND RUN IT,
Hard to say if I agree. I like my 4 gear car and I like my Lite (on the same track). The CE gives you the option to decided and try different things.

Personally, the CE is the best bang for the buck.

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:38 PM   #17459
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:

Would have to agree with the other comments. The kit setup for high bite clay is dang near will you will need to be. You honestly do not "need" anything. The only part i have broke is a wing mount. But with any buggy i would suggest arms maybe towers ect. But for now buy it, build it, rip it. -Tim
95zero
dirtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:15 PM   #17460
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
What adjustments did you make?
Ride height (up 2 mm in front and 1 mm in rear) and wheel base (longer).
RC Pro Racing VA, Awesome Hobbies(RIP), Debbies RC World VA, Thunder Alley Raceway NC
Jerm13 is offline   Reply With Quote