R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 12-05-2015, 10:25 PM   #17116
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
How is everyone not using a bat strap holding battery in? Shoe goo, Double sided tape ran full width of battery?
typically people use a high end double sided tape, NO CHEAP CRAP. Also something that has a little vibration dampening as well. the newer kyosho tape works very well as well as the clear Parma tape.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:27 AM   #17117

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 358Mustang View Post
Would a castle sidewinder 4600 motor and esc be ok to run in my B5M? I have this motor and esc, but am pretty new to electric. I am building a buggy to try and get into racing in the stock class.

Ive got an M8 radio and a Hitec MG servo from my older RC days that I was planning on using in this buggy. Should be ok?
I would stay away from the sidewinder and 4600kV motor. Find a decent sensored ESC and if you are headed for the stock class, find a ROAR legal 17.5 turn motor. Some places don't allow the older style radios like the M8 with their eye-poking antenaes. It will probably still work fine but you might annoy people on the drivers stand with the fishing rod bobbing around in front of them. As far as the servo goes, it totally depends on the model and specs. I have found anything over 0.10 transit time is too slow and hampers your ability to correct and make the small, quick adjustments we need to when we are racing. For a buggy, you don't need 300 oz. of torque. I would say anything over 120 would be okay in a buggy. Don't skimp on your servo!
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:29 AM   #17118
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 358Mustang View Post
Would a castle sidewinder 4600 motor and esc be ok to run in my B5M? I have this motor and esc, but am pretty new to electric. I am building a buggy to try and get into racing in the stock class.

Ive got an M8 radio and a Hitec MG servo from my older RC days that I was planning on using in this buggy. Should be ok?
That's a very big ESC and space is somewhat limited in the B5M. You may have issues fitting everything in the car. If you are wanting to get into stock racing, I do not believe you can use that motor. Honestly, you'd be better off buying a HobbyWing Justock for about $50 and spending the money on a good stock motor for $90-100. Besides,

"What I say makes sense in my head. Once it comes out of my mouth it's for you to figure out." -me
Jpdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:04 AM   #17119
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds81175 View Post
I would stay away from the sidewinder and 4600kV motor. Find a decent sensored ESC and if you are headed for the stock class, find a ROAR legal 17.5 turn motor. Some places don't allow the older style radios like the M8 with their eye-poking antenaes. It will probably still work fine but you might annoy people on the drivers stand with the fishing rod bobbing around in front of them. As far as the servo goes, it totally depends on the model and specs. I have found anything over 0.10 transit time is too slow and hampers your ability to correct and make the small, quick adjustments we need to when we are racing. For a buggy, you don't need 300 oz. of torque. I would say anything over 120 would be okay in a buggy. Don't skimp on your servo!
Hit the hobby shop at your track. They will sell what other racers are usually running. There are tons of combos everybody has their own liking. Personally I like Orion esc, Sanwa servo and trinity 17.5. Think you will need a new radio with all the new tech, few hundred bucks for airtronics MT4 or something like that radio will work great
Old 12-06-2015, 10:19 AM   #17120
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Need some help here...

Today was my first B5m official race in almost a year (I run it every week otherwise).
And I had something weird with the clutch. I'm using the Avid Triad slipper clutch and I set it as I always do : Rear wheels held -> full throttle -> the car lift about 2-3inches.
No problem there in fact the car was a little bit over tighten as when I accelerated on some short straights the car would lift the front 1inch.
But here my issue I can hear clearly the slipper slipping and I basically have a lost of acceleration in mid throttle. From zero when launching the race it's ok but after a few turn I can hear the slipper go and I feel the car slow in punch.

I dismantled the clutch the thing is ok. No massive wear, everything it assembled correctly.

The guys at the club told me that this clutch is infamous for heating up and loosing it's bite.
Is this the problem ?

Thanks
shannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:57 AM   #17121
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannow View Post
Need some help here...

Today was my first B5m official race in almost a year (I run it every week otherwise).
And I had something weird with the clutch. I'm using the Avid Triad slipper clutch and I set it as I always do : Rear wheels held -> full throttle -> the car lift about 2-3inches.
No problem there in fact the car was a little bit over tighten as when I accelerated on some short straights the car would lift the front 1inch.
But here my issue I can hear clearly the slipper slipping and I basically have a lost of acceleration in mid throttle. From zero when launching the race it's ok but after a few turn I can hear the slipper go and I feel the car slow in punch.

I dismantled the clutch the thing is ok. No massive wear, everything it assembled correctly.

The guys at the club told me that this clutch is infamous for heating up and loosing it's bite.
Is this the problem ?

Thanks
Could be the diff slipping and not the slipper .
Old 12-06-2015, 11:05 AM   #17122
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303slowdown View Post
Could be the diff slipping and not the slipper .
Trust me the sound is 100% the slipper. I never run ball diff I only run gear diff and today I had 5000 cst in it (rebuilt between two mains as a double check).
Old 12-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #17123
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Trust me the sound is 100% the slipper. I never run ball diff I only run gear diff and today I had 5000 cst in it (rebuilt between two mains as a double check).
Ahhh I see. I hope you get it figured out.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:31 AM   #17124
Tech Regular

But thank you anyway
Old 12-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #17125
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
How is everyone not using a bat strap holding battery in? Shoe goo, Double sided tape ran full width of battery?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter36 View Post
typically people use a high end double sided tape, NO CHEAP CRAP. Also something that has a little vibration dampening as well. the newer kyosho tape works very well as well as the clear Parma tape.
I use a 1"x1/2" piece on each end and one in the middle. Anymore and getting the pack out is TOUGH.

I use the clear Parma type (3M brand VHB) I got a roll from Amazon for $25 that will last me forever. It adds some cushion compared to the grey 3M that a lot of guys use.

Make sure the chassis and battery case are CLEAN! I prefer to use motor spray and a blue shop towel/paper towel. Rags, even washed rags, can have contaminants (soap/oil) left in them.

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #17126
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Need some help here...

Is this the problem ?

Thanks
what color pads?
Old 12-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #17127
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
what color pads?
White. I believe it's PTFE, no?
Old 12-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #17128
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
White. I believe it's PTFE, no?
I would pull the slipper apart, scuff the pads, reassemble and check/adjust the slipper setting again.

Slipping at mid throttle is very odd.

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #17129
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Need some help here...

Is this the problem ?

Thanks
Do you have any boost/turbo programmed into the esc at a specific rpm?
joncmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #17130
Tech Regular

Anyone know what servo horn this is?

And what rear springs are being used?

Thanks!

jB

B5M | MBX-7Re | T5M | TC3 | RC10 "Graphite"
Jason Baliban is offline   Reply With Quote