R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 11-25-2015, 04:49 PM   #16921
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

well I'll let you know how I feel about turf soon enough. I'm racing on it for the first time this Sunday.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #16922
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonBreh View Post
What are the pros and cons of the x-factory and plan b carbon fiber chassis?

Since i'm running on high grip i think the x-factory with the stiffer side rails would be better. The plan b looks like it flexes a lot.
No experience with the Plan B stuff

Xfactory pros:

It's light
It flexes, a lot

Cons:

It's Xfactory
It's light
It flexes a lot.

Neither chassis are going to make or break your experience with the B5M platform.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:16 PM   #16923
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
Its tough to keep a track open as it is. Out here, in SOCAL, the lease on a space big enough for a good sized track would be really high. I'd imagine OCRC pays well over $10,000 a month. You need to have a lot racers and sell a lot of stuff just to cover your rent much less make a living, pay operating costs, and employees. I don't see a huge # of carpet indoors opening it up. Actually, all the oldest tracks in SOCAL are outdoor blue groove and/or wet dirt. HotRod has been around 20 years and the RoadRunners in Camarillo have had their club racing for over 30 years....the RoadRunners guys said that they were the oldest RC club/track in the US.
The problem I have with indoor moist high grip is what Gil Losi Jr said. Indoors, sauce, and a lot of water in the dirt. Overtime it's inevitable that something (mold spores) start growing in the dirt, and it starts to effect your health. The sinus infections and allergies I get from indoor clay are not worth it. I would literally be sick for days.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #16924
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinebox View Post
Couple of 3 gear lcg trans cases I've been working on....
Prototype case arrived today.....
First test fit went very well! Waterfall and battery strap fit great. Motor plates are in the mail. I'll post more info & pics soon!
Pinebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:52 PM   #16925
Tech Apprentice

Default B5M Factory Lite

Hi all,

Been out of the hobby for years and was always a hardened Tamiya Fan, seem though they don't have much on offer for 2wd anymore. Myself and a few friends are looking to buy a few B5M Factory Lites and run a 10.5 "stock"class.... Any thoughts on ESC or Motors, I see Speed passion and LRP have some neat combos.

Also want to ask where the best deal is for one at the moment, especially with black Friday tomorrow over there in the States.

Callum
South Africa
Old 11-25-2015, 10:12 PM   #16926
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrigger View Post
Hi all,

Been out of the hobby for years and was always a hardened Tamiya Fan, seem though they don't have much on offer for 2wd anymore. Myself and a few friends are looking to buy a few B5M Factory Lites and run a 10.5 "stock"class.... Any thoughts on ESC or Motors, I see Speed passion and LRP have some neat combos.

Also want to ask where the best deal is for one at the moment, especially with black Friday tomorrow over there in the States.

Callum
South Africa
Speed Passion makes a decent ESC with the Reventon R and Pro 1.1, but their customer service is among the worst I have personally encountered. For the same amount of money you could buy a HobbyWing ESC. Everyone seems to love their products. If you're on an even tighter budget, Trackstar sold by HobbyKing is also pretty popular. I don't know a lot about LRP, but I would suggest seeing what people are using at your track. If you have a problem or a tuning question, you'd be able to get help from the other racers or hobby shop.

"What I say makes sense in my head. Once it comes out of my mouth it's for you to figure out." -me
Jpdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:35 PM   #16927
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 483 (100%+)

I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that the Hobbywing 3.1 is the best ESC out there. From the perspective of price and performance there is nothing better. The 3.1 stock spec is the best esc you can get in its price range and will run a 10.5 all day long. If you want to test the waters the Hobbywing Justock is rated down to a 13.5. Its $50 and is every bit as good as its nearest legit competitor at more than twice its price point. Things have changed, 10.5 is a lot of motor.

All that being said, I feel like a bit of a traitor. I really like the folks at Tekin and their service but their products just aren't as good. I want to buy Tekin but the RS doesn't cut the mustard and if the RSX is the best they have I'll have to stick with Hobbywing or Orion (which hobbywing produces). Hobbywing in the US is based in Los Angeles and has excellent service too.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:39 AM   #16928
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys,

I had a Reventon R in the Team Durango 4wd and is was good. As far as support there is no support for any brand in East London RSA, so no matter what I'll be ordering online and dealing with people from out of town. We don't have a track here.

I see RC Mart have the 1.1 and Comp MMM motor in 10.5 for $140...

Any idea on the best bargain for a B5MFL kit?
Old 11-26-2015, 06:27 AM   #16929
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The only "deals" I found is

Stormerhobbies.com - $259.99

Absolutehobbyz.com- promo code - NOV25 = $254.99
Old 11-26-2015, 07:00 AM   #16930
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that the Hobbywing 3.1 is the best ESC out there. From the perspective of price and performance there is nothing better. The 3.1 stock spec is the best esc you can get in its price range and will run a 10.5 all day long. If you want to test the waters the Hobbywing Justock is rated down to a 13.5. Its $50 and is every bit as good as its nearest legit competitor at more than twice its price point. Things have changed, 10.5 is a lot of motor.

All that being said, I feel like a bit of a traitor. I really like the folks at Tekin and their service but their products just aren't as good. I want to buy Tekin but the RS doesn't cut the mustard and if the RSX is the best they have I'll have to stick with Hobbywing or Orion (which hobbywing produces). Hobbywing in the US is based in Los Angeles and has excellent service too.
I ran a 9.5 Reedy with a Hobbywing Justock in my SC10.2 for quite a while, only reason I took it off was because I needed it for one of my touring cars.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:08 AM   #16931
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrigger View Post
Hi all,

Callum
South Africa
10.5 super stock would be fun for sure!
I would recommend the Orion R10 Stock esc and a Reedy Mach 3 motor, pretty sweet combo!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:26 AM   #16932
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

would one of you guys mind helping me out and give a width measurement of your buggys from outside to outside of the wheel front and rear please
eper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:18 AM   #16933
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eper View Post
would one of you guys mind helping me out and give a width measurement of your buggys from outside to outside of the wheel front and rear please
244mm front and rear
cutting42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:56 PM   #16934
Tech Initiate

Default Car's action after landing a jump

When my car lands it sometimes will kickout the rear end even when I am not on the throttle. When I jump it straight it will immediately turn to the left on landing. I have rebuilt my diff recently and I believe I have it adjusted properly -more on the loose side than anything else. I have the slipper adjusted on the loose side as well. Any thoughts on what I should be looking for in the car that would cause this kickout issue? Thanks.
larsif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:28 PM   #16935
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

cutting42 thank u
eper is offline   Reply With Quote