R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 11-24-2015, 11:40 AM   #16906
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
yep. I talk to him from time to time. But he is uber "creative" in everything he does in RC. Some of his work bleeds off into the fast guys, then trickles down. I was talking to him recently, and he told me that he makes all of his sway bars. He rarely ever uses the OEM ones, lol. That guy just loves to make stuff. He is ALWAYS trying new stuff, so his tire program changes often. He even makes his own tires sauce. He would create a car from the ground up if he has the resources, I am sure of it.
All I will say to that is nothing is as simple as it appears to be with him and his equipment.

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:46 AM   #16907
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
All I will say to that is nothing is as simple as it appears to be with him and his equipment.
yeah, I went over to him with my sc5m and told him it sucks (i hate SC). He showed me his truck and what he had done. He says, "As you can see I have done a few extra things...." I busted out laughing. His truck is nothing like the kit. Not even close. Custom made rear arms, custom front and rear sway bars and much more custom stuff, that is not bling. Then of course he had his usual custom bling mods he does to make it look nice. So if you ever see one of his setup sheets. You are not even getting half the picture, lol.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:42 PM   #16908
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Amain order picking the B5MCE. Needed a kit to build for 17.5. Are the turnbuckles still tight on ball studs, lol, jkjk. If I had a nickel.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #16909
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
It moves more weight over the rear which tightens up the car more then the shorter wheelbase reduces the turning radius.
Got it, thanks!
gabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:32 PM   #16910
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
yep, 90% of the crap I buy does not do crap. A few pieces lower motor temps and the rest is bling. The "Lite" comes with pretty much everything I need. I do like pucks and cut gears for 17.5. Mostly for some lower motor temps and more snap. I also prefer the Avid Slipper. I tried to go back to the AE slipper, but it was crappy. I didnt like it at all.

That being said, Rivkin beat everyone at JC stock nats without pucks. Unsure on cut gears, since I could not see in his gear box, lol. And owning tires, is only part of the equation at SRS. I have been aware for a while, but trying to ignore it, but tire prep is everything. I tried to use the stock foams and tires without any prep and it was not great. I keep seeing posts saying, "I bought the same tires the fast guys use...", while that may be true, that is only part of the tire program. I miss outdoor non sugar racing. Good Ole glue and go tires.
Even outdoor nowadays is a bit higher tech than glue and go. Most guys use a sauce of some sort and the tracks are covered in calcium to improve grip. Still not clay, but at least Florida heat is such that no matter what you put on a track surface, if it's outdoors, it will get baked off and by the third run after watering its dusty and begins to get loose so you must stay in the groove and maintain speed/momentum.
WWW.TRICOUNTYHOBBIES.COM :: WWW.CRPPLUS.COM
the incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:12 AM   #16911
Tech Regular

Quote:
I keep seeing posts saying, "I bought the same tires the fast guys use...", while that may be true, that is only part of the tire program. I miss outdoor non sugar racing. Good Ole glue and go tires.
The tire issues were the biggest change I noticed when I recently went to off-road carpet the first time. No tire sauce all day and I had stupidly high (and consistent) grip all day. I see now why most of Europe went to turf or carpet. It's the most fun I've had at the track in years, and I've been racing on and off-road since 1990. The only down side was re-learning not to huck the car sideways to setup the next corner.
Eddie_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:00 AM   #16912
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Pulled the pin!!!!

B5M CE will be here On Friday. Lite Chassis, X-rings and JC Warrior body got here yesterday... Body will be going to the painter on Friday.

Thinking of just doing a completely new car with speedo, motor and servo..

Little girl is going to die of excitement! Wife.... not so much.
RC Pro Racing VA, Awesome Hobbies(RIP), Debbies RC World VA, Thunder Alley Raceway NC
Jerm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:34 AM   #16913
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_E View Post
The tire issues were the biggest change I noticed when I recently went to off-road carpet the first time. No tire sauce all day and I had stupidly high (and consistent) grip all day. I see now why most of Europe went to turf or carpet. It's the most fun I've had at the track in years, and I've been racing on and off-road since 1990. The only down side was re-learning not to huck the car sideways to setup the next corner.

You did? You realize it's because it rains there almost everyday and maintaining an outdoor dirt track in those conditions is near impossible, right? Along with that the cost of having an indoor dirt facility is INSANE in Europe. Most of the free world doesn't race on carpet/astro because they WANT to, it's because they have to.

IMO

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #16914

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

If off road moves to astro everywhere I will have to move on and find a new hobby. I just don't like it. I grew up with a gold pan sliding around and driving and tuning to win.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:01 PM   #16915
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds81175 View Post
If off road moves to astro everywhere I will have to move on and find a new hobby. I just don't like it. I grew up with a gold pan sliding around and driving and tuning to win.
+1 Astro and concrete smooth clay isn't the same. That's why I've mostly moved on to 1/8th scale and have been having way more fun ever since.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:14 PM   #16916
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 483 (100%+)

Its tough to keep a track open as it is. Out here, in SOCAL, the lease on a space big enough for a good sized track would be really high. I'd imagine OCRC pays well over $10,000 a month. You need to have a lot racers and sell a lot of stuff just to cover your rent much less make a living, pay operating costs, and employees. I don't see a huge # of carpet indoors opening it up. Actually, all the oldest tracks in SOCAL are outdoor blue groove and/or wet dirt. HotRod has been around 20 years and the RoadRunners in Camarillo have had their club racing for over 30 years....the RoadRunners guys said that they were the oldest RC club/track in the US.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #16917
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

What inserts are you running for the C mount? Indoor, clay, and fairly tight? thanks for the help
motoman811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:21 PM   #16918
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds81175 View Post
Astro requires just as much driving skill, and probably even more tuning.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:38 PM   #16919
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
What are the pros and cons of the x-factory and plan b carbon fiber chassis?

Since i'm running on high grip i think the x-factory with the stiffer side rails would be better. The plan b looks like it flexes a lot.

Last edited by BrandonBreh; 11-25-2015 at 04:07 PM.
BrandonBreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:31 PM   #16920

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Never said it didn't. In fact, I think it really starts to separate the great drivers from the good drivers. I just don't like the feel. The new mid motor offerings are just plain fun to drive on all surfaces I have been on down to medium/low grip.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote