R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 11-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #16711
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonBreh View Post
So let me get this straight. People are now running their B5Ms without the ~3 gram battery strap and noticing that their cars are turning better? wut
I haven't tried this myself, but its not from the weight savings...its supposedly from the chassis flex.

Having run a lot of on-road TC and 1/12th scale, chassis flex and tweak make a huge difference on how those cars handle. Back out a couple of screws on the top deck of a touring car, and you have a totally different driving car.

I can see how it could be possible, but I haven't tried it for myself to confirm or deny...

Seth
3D-Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:38 PM   #16712
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker07 View Post
There are lots of people running the 6270 in B5M's around here. That or 6240's. It can help with both of them to simply cut off the rubber boot around the end of the connector going into the servo. Then, there is actually more room than any other servo.

There's no way just cutting the boot off makes that much room? I slid mine off and was still not able to get it in there. Sure, if you want to kink the crap out of the wire and have it fail in a month sure, but to do it right, they wont fit.
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:05 PM   #16713

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Just an FYI for folks on the titanium issue....bulk titanium is somewhere around 10X the cost of most aluminum alloys and the same can be said for steel alloys as well. This relationship in price is about what it was 15 years ago when I was looking into this as well. Titanium is abundant but still fairly expensive. The big difference in the final machined parts is partly due to this cost but also due to the difficulty in machining. Aluminum is a breeze to machine. Talk to most machinists with experience working with Titanium and they will tell you it is a pain to work with.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:33 PM   #16714
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible View Post
There's no way just cutting the boot off makes that much room? I slid mine off and was still not able to get it in there. Sure, if you want to kink the crap out of the wire and have it fail in a month sure, but to do it right, they wont fit.
Regardless, sucks to have to cut up a brand new servo to "make" it fit.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:22 PM   #16715
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Seth View Post
Regardless, sucks to have to cut up a brand new servo to "make" it fit.
I have been running a 6040 in my B5M since day one, about a year so far. I cut back the boot for the wires and I also ground down the corner of the servo mount. Not one problem. I dont mind a little cutting and grinding. Back in the RC10 days everything had to be hand fitted, custom made or taken from another car to get what you want. That is what this hobby is based off of.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:37 PM   #16716
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy View Post
I have been running a 6040 in my B5M since day one, about a year so far. I cut back the boot for the wires and I also ground down the corner of the servo mount. Not one problem. I dont mind a little cutting and grinding. Back in the RC10 days everything had to be hand fitted, custom made or taken from another car to get what you want. That is what this hobby is based off of.
6240, NOT 6040...

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...odID=SPMSS6240

Love the disconnect feature, but not that it doesn't fit in anything.

FWIW I'm running a 6240 in my T4 2016, but the plug side hangs off the chassis so more than enough room.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:47 PM   #16717
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Seth View Post
6240, NOT 6040...

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...odID=SPMSS6240

Love the disconnect feature, but not that it doesn't fit in anything.

FWIW I'm running a 6240 in my T4 2016, but the plug side hangs off the chassis so more than enough room.
Someone mentioned 6040 above so that is why I replied. The 6240 is cool, but why would you need it? I never wished I could remove the servo and not the wire. What we need to see the manufacturers do is make it so we can move the servo wire to come out where we need it, whether it be right or left, top or bottom or out the back.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:53 PM   #16718
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thoughts on gearing and timing for a Reedy 17.5 M3 short stack blinky w HW V3.1 stock spec? Do these motors like to be run with lots of timing and shorter gearing, I thought I read something about that...
tsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:56 AM   #16719

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I'm running the Mach3 17.5 short stack in mine right now. My car is a bit on the porky side at this point and I still have it geared 34/68 with 45 of can timing. The motor has great snap throughout the powerband and runs cool. There are a couple of turns on our track where I can just lift the front end getting back on throttle. I've got a WTF Windy fan on it right now but before I got the fan I couldn't get the motor temp much over 120. Makes me wonder why I got the fan...
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:01 AM   #16720
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds81175 View Post
Just an FYI for folks on the titanium issue....bulk titanium is somewhere around 10X the cost of most aluminum alloys and the same can be said for steel alloys as well. This relationship in price is about what it was 15 years ago when I was looking into this as well. Titanium is abundant but still fairly expensive. The big difference in the final machined parts is partly due to this cost but also due to the difficulty in machining. Aluminum is a breeze to machine. Talk to most machinists with experience working with Titanium and they will tell you it is a pain to work with.
That right there! ^ +10,000 it's a B%^&h to work with! Brass is also amazing to work with! Titanium not so much!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:21 AM   #16721
Tech Addict

Quote:
Someone mentioned 6040 above so that is why I replied. The 6240 is cool, but why would you need it? I never wished I could remove the servo and not the wire. What we need to see the manufacturers do is make it so we can move the servo wire to come out where we need it, whether it be right or left, top or bottom or out the back.
Agree. I've had a couple instances recently when I needed to remove my servo from my TC but the receiver was buried, so it was nice to have the disconnect plug. The 6040 was a good servo and has now been discontinued and replaced by the 6240...I bet most have bought it assuming it's a standard servo as the photos online don't show the plug. Yeah yeah, it's in the description, but how do you know what size it is?
Old 11-13-2015, 06:24 AM   #16722
Tech Master

Quote:
Some MFG's give you so much wire I just hate coiling it or putting it in a tie wrap. So much neater with different length's that are just long enough to plug into the receiver.
Bubonic-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:34 AM   #16723
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubonic-X View Post
Some MFG's give you so much wire I just hate coiling it or putting it in a tie wrap. So much neater with different length's that are just long enough to plug into the receiver.
Something I do on my Airtronics 94661 servo is take the back cover off and feed the excess wire into an empty cavity inside the servo. And only have enough wire coming out to reach the receiver. No cutting/resoldering and if I need to use this in another car, just pull out the wire.

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:43 AM   #16724
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubonic-X View Post
I did this a few months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmuck69 View Post
Something I do on my Airtronics 94661 servo is take the back cover off and feed the excess wire into an empty cavity inside the servo. And only have enough wire coming out to reach the receiver. No cutting/resoldering and if I need to use this in another car, just pull out the wire.
Another great alternative to soldering, cutting, crimping, etc...Thanks!

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:09 AM   #16725
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds81175 View Post
Yep. That is why there are ONLY a few shops in the USA that will mess with it; Lunsford being one of them. As I said in my posts, the tooling cost for titanium is just insane.