R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 11-12-2015, 07:45 AM   #16696
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmuck69 View Post
It was a slow day, what do you expect?
true, in the past we would have hit 3!
Old 11-12-2015, 07:52 AM   #16697
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cridd View Post
I bought Lunsford, they are the best. The last two kits did AE, they get the job done. Never used Protek.

Protek just realeased some Titanium turnbuckles that are grade 5 and priced down there, wonder how they will be.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...t-7002/p446778
Lunsford makes turnbuckles for several companies. They might be making these, but they seem to know which are which, and only warranty those with lunsford packaging.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:59 AM   #16698
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barry View Post
oh wow, you're way up there. Who knows maybe I can make it up to a race. I'm in Oneida all the time so maybe I can do a day trip there.
I'm actually in Maine, Just going to full throttle for a trophy race.

No biggie, I'll meet you at rama anyways.

Sponsors: Fiercercsolutions.com, AKA, jtbearingco.com, CowRC, Walden Designs, Leadfinger Racing, And BoomRC.net
ezlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:04 AM   #16699
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlight View Post
I'm actually in Maine, Just going to full throttle for a trophy race.

No biggie, I'll meet you at rama anyways.
Awesome. See ya there. Just look for me over near the Tekno pits
Old 11-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #16700
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cridd View Post
I bought Lunsford, they are the best. The last two kits did AE, they get the job done. Never used Protek.

Protek just realeased some Titanium turnbuckles that are grade 5 and priced down there, wonder how they will be.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...t-7002/p446778
Sadly Ti is not particularly that much more expensive of the sizes required for RC over T6 or T7 Aluminum, but Lunsford for too long had the market to himself and thus priced his stuff absurdly over the top. The notion that you get what you pa for does factor in to everything but simply because his turnbuckles are Ti doesn't mean they cost considerably more to produce than Aluminum parts. In fact there is hardly a difference between them in regards to machining.

Now, if he was making them from Magnesium, perhaps I could understand and accept the over the top pricing because to machine Magnesium requires special licensing and upgraded ventilation which increases manufacturing costs along with the material itself being a more expensive.

Ti Screws are also way overpriced and depending on which car or from which manufacturer, the exact same amount of screws in the same sizes fluctuates considerably. Some will sell for as low as $28 for a vehicle that's not considered top of the line, yet that very same score kits will be $65 for a more popular, more high-end kit. Sure supply and demand is king, but as long as people continue to pay these ridiculous prices, manufacturers will stand firm on their price points.

My ex girlfriend's family owns a VERY LARGE Fasteners company and being as I help set up their inventory system I know what screws cost and it is far from what RC companies are charging.
WWW.TRICOUNTYHOBBIES.COM :: WWW.CRPPLUS.COM
the incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:20 AM   #16701
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the incubus View Post
Sadly Ti is not particularly that much more expensive of the sizes required for RC over T6 or T7 Aluminum, but Lunsford for too long had the market to himself and thus priced his stuff absurdly over the top. The notion that you get what you pa for does factor in to everything but simply because his turnbuckles are Ti doesn't mean they cost considerably more to produce than Aluminum parts. In fact there is hardly a difference between them in regards to machining.

Now, if he was making them from Magnesium, perhaps I could understand and accept the over the top pricing because to machine Magnesium requires special licensing and upgraded ventilation which increases manufacturing costs along with the material itself being a more expensive.

Ti Screws are also way overpriced and depending on which car or from which manufacturer, the exact same amount of screws in the same sizes fluctuates considerably. Some will sell for as low as $28 for a vehicle that's not considered top of the line, yet that very same score kits will be $65 for a more popular, more high-end kit. Sure supply and demand is king, but as long as people continue to pay these ridiculous prices, manufacturers will stand firm on their price points.

My ex girlfriend's family owns a VERY LARGE Fasteners company and being as I help set up their inventory system I know what screws cost and it is far from what RC companies are charging.

Lunsford's titanium quality is head and shoulders beyond the titanium coming out of china. China is sourcing the lowest quality Ti from right here in the USA for their production. His machine work is also much higher quality. He is using Grade 5 for all of his components, and they're worth every penny.

The chinese kits are great, they work just fine, but they are grade 2.

Ti screws are not over priced, I deal with them on a daily basis, and there is no one that is making a "standard" run of them right now in the world. If there was, you're right, prices would plummet. As it stands right this moment, everything is still made to order, and carries a lead time.

Cite: I work for the largest fastener manufacturer in the world, and we outsource the titanium manufacturing to small shops like Lunsford because the cost of tooling is through the roof. I am directly involved in the procurement in titanium fasteners for an Aerospace company that generally needs 5,000 ti fasteners a month.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:25 AM   #16702
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Sadly Ti is not particularly that much more expensive of the sizes required for RC over T6 or T7 Aluminum, but Lunsford for too long had the market to himself and thus priced his stuff absurdly over the top.....
It isn't the material that makes Lunsford stuff better, and therefor more expensive... it is A) the quality of the material, and B) the quality and precision of the threads he cuts.

I see AE and Chinese titanium ball studs snap off hubs ALL THE TIME at the track... and I have yet to see a lunsford ball stud break. There is a very noticeable quality difference between the mass produced crap Ti you can get from amain or in an AE package, and the stuff that Kelly produces.

Whether that quality difference is worth the price difference, is a personal decision. I fork out the cash for the lunsford every time.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:33 AM   #16703
Super Moderator

Quote:

Sounds like you are missing out on a great business opportunity then.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #16704
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barry View Post
Awesome. See ya there. Just look for me over near the Tekno pits
I hope to be there with you, If not, I'll be close. Traveling with a Tekno driver. (And still praying that I make the Team. I haven't gotten a denial letter yet, so there's still a chance.)

Sponsors: Fiercercsolutions.com, AKA, jtbearingco.com, CowRC, Walden Designs, Leadfinger Racing, And BoomRC.net
ezlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:18 PM   #16705
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I used the AE kit. So far 6 bent screws. All 4 front lower screws were found bent.
KrAcOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #16706
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlight View Post
I hope to be there with you, If not, I'll be close. Traveling with a Tekno driver. (And still praying that I make the Team. I haven't gotten a denial letter yet, so there's still a chance.)
There is a private message feature . if you guys get any deeper into a convo

Lunsford does have better machining then the rest and theirs are shiny and clean, AE's looks dingy but half the price so I am good with that. I use MIP tools and have no issues with either. Hard for me to get behind the Protek stuff, bought a few of their batteries and they were not up to par and that made me gun shy. May need to give another shot.

Could go with these and spend some $. You drop that one your clearing the pits walking around like a mad man for a little nut because to have a matching set cost you another 25 !!

https://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars...47-blu/p413855

Last edited by Cridd; 11-12-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Cridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #16707
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Anybody running a shorty in the B5MFL 17.5 without the battery strap. What changes did you see on the car.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #16708
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 483 (100%+)

I run no strap on my fancy race car and until I cut the cradle on all my other cars it definitely made the car feel like it could turn harder. If you cut the cradle into 2 pieces and don't torque down your battery strap its pretty much the same....close. Traction needs to be super high to really feel it.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:01 PM   #16709
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
I run no strap on my fancy race car and until I cut the cradle on all my other cars it definitely made the car feel like it could turn harder. If you cut the cradle into 2 pieces and don't torque down your battery strap its pretty much the same....close. Traction needs to be super high to really feel it.
So let me get this straight. People are now running their B5Ms without the ~3 gram battery strap and noticing that their cars are turning better? wut
BrandonBreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:21 PM   #16710
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonBreh View Post
So let me get this straight. People are now running their B5Ms without the ~3 gram battery strap and noticing that their cars are turning better? wut
It's not the weight, it's the added flex.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jjlove1217?feature=mhee
https://www.facebook.com/jim.hustins.rc.racer
Jim Hustins is offline   Reply With Quote