R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 01-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #151
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

preordered from amain today can't wait
Serpent s120 LTR Hitec/??/??/??/??
GRP/Dynamite/Grafil/Punched RC/RC monster/AKA/DE racing/LFR
strodedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #152
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by strodedawg View Post
preordered from amain today can't wait
me to got one from a main now I need 150 bucks lol
b5 mid motor
vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:26 PM   #153
Tech Elite

looks like tight room for esc and rx
b5 mid motor
vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #154
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

It does not look tight at all. Plenty of room for your speedo and receiver.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #155
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubonic-X View Post
Im just putting it out there but why buy a RM car when most of us already have a b4.2? If you need a car for Astro or high grip situations you just use the MM car? I just cant justify buying 2 cars for one class. My stance was make a car that can be converted but I admit I lost.
So Im taking that approach What do you think? Just creating dialogue
Valid point. To continue the dialogue I would add that to me it sounds like AE did LOTS to eliminate the slop that we've all come to know and love.
In addition to that a revised steering rack, bigger wheel bearings, etc will all appeal to the mass market. This will make for a better experience for those that don't feel like going nuts with upgrade parts in an attempt to "tighten up" the buggy (even though most of you know that lots of 4.2 owners have come to "embrace the slop") LOL.
If you have however been running a 4.2 and have spent time tightening it up etc than by all means its still a great vehicle!!
Bcholka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #156
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jake S Send a message via MSN to Jake S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbckevin View Post
It does not look tight at all. Plenty of room for your speedo and receiver.
could mount your rx to the side of your esc too like a few of the ae guys do in their c4.2

Old 01-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #157
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcholka View Post
Valid point. To continue the dialogue I would add that to me it sounds like AE did LOTS to eliminate the slop that we've all come to know and love.
In addition to that a revised steering rack, bigger wheel bearings, etc will all appeal to the mass market. This will make for a better experience for those that don't feel like going nuts with upgrade parts in an attempt to "tighten up" the buggy (even though most of you know that lots of 4.2 owners have come to "embrace the slop") LOL.
If you have however been running a 4.2 and have spent time tightening it up etc than by all means its still a great vehicle!!
The only "modding" I did was add 2 small shims to the steering rack, and drill and tap the rear hubs to accept grub screws.

The 4.2 is ready to rock out of the box. The only real annoyance, was the over abundance of flashing on the front of the chassis. It made the front arms bind, but only took 5 min to remove.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #158
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

the set screws that are suppose to take the slop out of the hinge pins don't really look to be hitting the hinge pin but hit the hinge pin insert which in turn mashes down on hinge pin (?).
good design, I guess ...
jag88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #159
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'm really hoping MIP makes a PUCK'S C-CVD system for this new buggy. Makes a world of difference.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:38 PM   #160
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyrc View Post
I'm really hoping MIP makes a PUCK'S C-CVD system for this new buggy. Makes a world of difference.
If I were a betting man.......

Also-kinda funny how the B4.2 thread seems to have hit a wall!!!!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #161
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Here you go--NOTHING to do with inferior materials--read on.
Oh-and also-no need to be so aggressive with your "you guys are so full of crap" comments--everyone is just trying to learn from one another. I for one will take the "high road" here hoping that people like yourselves can too!!

http://pittables.blogspot.com/2012/1...-14-vs-12.html
The key here is that the plates hit the gear when they broke in. I have experimented with less than designed diff balls many times, in an effort to reduce spring pressure but diffs need to be broken in to work with any real amount of torque. Running less balls (hehe, ok grown up again) is an oooolllldddd pan car trick and nothing weird. Sometimes the diff spring (even new) is too weak to spread across so many balls (in a smoothness losing move) run 2 or 3 less and remove evenly around. I've been known to pull 4 out of 14 or 16.

The new gearbox looks fantastic. They say stronger plastic, one of my complaints with the 3 - 4 platform. Carbide diff balls in the kit -- great call. Durango gives you aluminum balls in the kit and they melt with a 7.5.

I hope the rings are keyed -- I get annoyed with having to ca them.

The reason you dump your 4.2 is easy -- this car looks fantastic -- they claim to have fixed all the things that sucked and were antiquated. The insert thing is just plain easy and smart, and the 5 positions in the rear is a nice touch. Finally, a new gearbox and proper metric hardware. The new slipper was great, leave it alone, the new turnbuckles and ball ends look great, the old AE ones (and the RPM equiv) were long overdue for an overhaul.

I'm willing to replace arms often in exchange for less weight, however it was a bit out of hand with the 4.2.

I have to say, it looks like they hit this one out of the park
Adamska27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #162
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to BillPear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyWest View Post
Has anyone explained why this car was not run at the worlds
I have it on solid authority that there is only one in existence. AE has been working on the RM for a couple of years but when they "Sugared" the track for the worlds they realized they needed a MM, hence the deal with Centro, but they shifted gears on B5 development from RM to MM, built as mostly clean slate which is why we have 2 different kits not one interchangeable one. I wont be surprised if the March delivery date slips.
BillPear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #163
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Funny how things work out. A day or two after all the buzz started about this thing, I was on Amain about to buy the b4.2/centro kit then I found out about the B5m on AE's website. Glad I waited!!!
Old 01-03-2014, 05:34 AM   #164
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

The front and rear hubs use inserts, so what else would you expect the grub screw to push against? Also, keeps the inserts from falling out when working on the car. I am assuming they are not press fit in.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:15 AM   #165
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamska27 View Post
The key here is that the plates hit the gear when they broke in. I have experimented with less than designed diff balls many times, in an effort to reduce spring pressure but diffs need to be broken in to work with any real amount of torque. Running less balls (hehe, ok grown up again) is an oooolllldddd pan car trick and nothing weird. Sometimes the diff spring (even new) is too weak to spread across so many balls (in a smoothness losing move) run 2 or 3 less and remove evenly around. I've been known to pull 4 out of 14 or 16.

The new gearbox looks fantastic. They say stronger plastic, one of my complaints with the 3 - 4 platform. Carbide diff balls in the kit -- great call. Durango gives you aluminum balls in the kit and they melt with a 7.5.

I hope the rings are keyed -- I get annoyed with having to ca them.

The reason you dump your 4.2 is easy -- this car looks fantastic -- they claim to have fixed all the things that sucked and were antiquated. The insert thing is just plain easy and smart, and the 5 positions in the rear is a nice touch. Finally, a new gearbox and proper metric hardware. The new slipper was great, leave it alone, the new turnbuckles and ball ends look great, the old AE ones (and the RPM equiv) were long overdue for an overhaul.

I'm willing to replace arms often in exchange for less weight, however it was a bit out of hand with the 4.2.

I have to say, it looks like they hit this one out of the park
Very well explained!!!!!