R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 11-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #16471
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
So a page or 2 back there was talk of the MIP Pucks, rotation and forward bite. I had a set of MIP Shiny Pucks laying around. which weight about the same as the kit bones/outdrives. I wanted to try a diff that was about the same weight as the kit diff, but had less theoretical bone bind. My results were that the MIP shiny do NOT feel like the kit parts. I could still feel the weight in the rear of the car, but the car rotated much better. Also, this was with my same 17.5 I always use. I liked the feel of the MIP shiny pucks better over all. The track is a little rutted, as the layout is a getting old. the extra weight in the rear seemed to plant the car more over the bumps, yet it cornered almost as good as the bi-metal pucks. I felt this was a nice compromise. But, I personally would not use the plastic pucks on a 10.5 or lower. MIP has some "Roller" pucks coming out. It will be interesting to see how they work with the Shiny pucks. Anyway, those were my observations.
I am hesitatant to buy any MIP products other then their nut drivers. I have a friend who uses the mod pucks in his b5m, and he is constantly changing out then pucks. My experience with the 17.5 pucks in a super light 22 2.0 wasn't much better, the pucks lasted, but still pitted the aluminum outdrives. I'm interested to know what these roller pucks are. But as with anything like this, I will wait and hear about wear characteristics.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:03 PM   #16472
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You can get the replacement rollers (15131) and cross pin (15132) from the D413 roller kit and use them with the rest of the shiny pucks system. Matt has said that they shouldn't be used with the aluminum outdrives though.
jmcelroy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #16473
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
I am hesitatant to buy any MIP products other then their nut drivers. I have a friend who uses the mod pucks in his b5m, and he is constantly changing out then pucks. My experience with the 17.5 pucks in a super light 22 2.0 wasn't much better, the pucks lasted, but still pitted the aluminum outdrives. I'm interested to know what these roller pucks are. But as with anything like this, I will wait and hear about wear characteristics.
I agree on mod. The plastic does not last long. But in my b5m (1550g) the orange pucks last a while. I have 8 weeks on my current ones and they are still good. The outdrives do wear for sure. Greasing the pucks helps, but if you race in a dust dirty area, I suspect the pucks wont last line. I race on a zero dust track. Indoor wet modeling clay pretty much.

The rollers appear to use a brass round puck, instead of the plastic puck. how will the brass to steel wear? No idea. We will see as time goes.

Keep in mind, that IMO the pucks are a performance part, not a durability part.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:10 PM   #16474
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I only race once week, and I am getting about 6 months on a set of pair of pucks and pair of out-drives. I've had my B5m for a year and a half, and I just cracked open my first bag of replacement orange pucks. I clean and re-lube after each run, and they last a long time.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #16475
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
I only race once week, and I am getting about 6 months on a set of pair of pucks and pair of out-drives. I've had my B5m for a year and a half, and I just cracked open my first bag of replacement orange pucks. I clean and re-lube after each run, and they last a long time.
Yeah, mine last a long time as well. I assume that has to do the greasing and lack of dust. I know just running outdoors on blownout track are getting much less time out of them.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:21 PM   #16476
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

The pucks are very track dependent. Here on the East Coast we have a lot of fine dust in our dirt that gets in everything. So if you grease the puck, the dust gets mixed in very quickly, effectively changing it from a lubricant into an abrasive compound.
seth556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:22 PM   #16477
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth556 View Post
The pucks are very track dependent. Here on the East Coast we have a lot of fine dust in our dirt that gets in everything. So if you grease the puck, the dust gets mixed in very quickly, effectively changing it from a lubricant into an abrasive compound.
I have not tried it, but some guys are using a dry wax lube, as used on bikes.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #16478
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I spray clean with contact cleaner, and use one tiny tiny drop of light bearing oil on each side, and dab the excess away. It never collects enough dust to wear. I do the exact same thing on my CVD joints.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:42 PM   #16479
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
Hmm... I ran pucks for an entire season in 2 different cars(1 buggy and 1 truck, 17.5) and never even changed the pucks and had 2 sets of spare pucks even! Original pucks looked brand new even! I must be an odd case! Apparently everybody else had different luck!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:15 PM   #16480
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 478 (100%+)

I replace my pucks every 4 race days....every two weeks in the spring and summer.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:07 PM   #16481
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

replaced pucks every 6-8 race days, cleaned all the time, indoor clay. Ate up a second set of the out drives and went back to stock. Those little screws made it something I had to change on my sons car because I was afraid of him stripping them. Good performance but for some reason they would not last on our cars.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #16482
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Has anyone tried the offset castor block bushings and if so did they give you more initial turn in? Just lookin for a little more aggressive turn in on my buggy.
shadowracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #16483
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Does anyone know if the four D rear arm inserts are the same for the rear brass arm holder? All 4 have arrows on them.
DIRT DIGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:12 PM   #16484
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If your asking if the brass and alum D mount use the same inserts , I don't know. If your asking if all 4 of the D inserts in the bag are the same , all 4 of the inserts I got are the same

Don't forget ... Have fun , talk sh*$ with your buddies, and have fun.

I race so I can have people flip my car over ....
wittyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:14 PM   #16485
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRT DIGGER View Post
Does anyone know if the four D rear arm inserts are the same for the rear brass arm holder? All 4 have arrows on them.
They are all the same.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote