R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 10-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #16411
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsair View Post
Anyone know of a source for 7mm ballstud washers? I run a B5R with 3mm of spacers (6mm ballstud) on the rear aluminum hub carriers, which only leaves 3mm of ballstud threaded into the carrier. Unfortunately this is a little small, which leads to easily stripped carriers in a crash.

AE makes an 8mm ballstud, but this goes too far into the carrier and rubs the bearing.

Or maybe I could try the Schelle version?
You could always grind down the 8mm a little
X6^3: Tekin, Fantom, Sav÷x
B5M: KDRC, Fantom, hobbywing, Sav÷x, Schelle, AC RC
Thomas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:35 AM   #16412
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the incubus View Post
If you know about racing you'd know that the lower everything is, the better. It doesn't matter of it's F1, Nascrap, Indy, GP2, LMP, GT, MotoGP, Slot cars, or RC cars… Lower center of gravity is the most crucial element, period.

Just because a car does better on a certain type of surface does not mean it cannot perform equally well on other surfaces. And if you stick with it, eventually you will make the car work better on any type of track period. If it was done with Rear Motor cars for 25+ years, so too can it be done with the low slung Mid-Motor cars currently flooding the hobby/sport.

They're still in their infancy so new things are being learned and discovered all the time and in due time laydown transmissions will be figured out and it would not surprise me to see laydown tranny cars winning everything. Dirt, Clay, Carpet, Astro.
I disagree. The ideal front to rear weight distribution is different on low vs high traction surfaces. You can't just arbitrarily shove weight forward in an effort to lower cg under the guise that you can tune for any degree of change. Mid motor is nothing new for rc—super high traction tracks are if anything. We're not the pioneers of car development. Rear motor sand dune buggies and mid motor race cars, all developed surface appropriate, have been around for longer than rc cars—Roger Curtis used real off-road cars and existing full size race cars as his design influence for the original rc10. All were doing is gaining more traction with different surfaces and thus gaining the ability to use more surface appropriate chassis layouts.

Wayne
Old 10-30-2015, 01:15 PM   #16413
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I <3 my B5M!

That is all...
iTz Nicholas72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:27 PM   #16414
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
Lay down tranny's have little to do with lowering the CG. A little sure. But they're using them because it moves the motor farther forward. Lay down tranny's are being used on high grip tracks to change the weight balance of the car (motor position). IF the "lay down" part was the only reason they were doing it we would see direct drive tranny's like oval guys use. You can worry about CG all you want, but if the weight balance is off you're screwed and left with one option. ADD weight behind the motor...cough cough TLR 22MM.
I have had to add weight on all MM cars I have driven. Even my B5M lite needed the aluminum bits to get the forward bite I require. Its not just TLR.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:31 PM   #16415
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
Who is everyone? I was at cactus and took a picture of my car. it had a shorty :P. I can tell you for sure that currently drivers are not using SQ packs.
was my experience the week after cactus when I went, nobody was running square packs. Nor does anyone run one as far as I know at Coyote, and definitely not LRH. All shorty.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #16416
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas PA View Post
agreed.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:45 PM   #16417
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
There's definitely a push (pun intended) to move motors forward. But then there's also a trend to move them back as well.

The Centro, B5M, Bmax2 and the D216 all have a motor very far back. Coincidently, these cars (other than the D216, too new) are well known to have very good rear grip, with mm-like corner speed. They provide an excellent balance.

As traction has come up, and continues to, consistency has risen in demand as well. More traction, you can move the motor farther forward, and gain more corner speed without losing speed and drive off the corner.

F1 and other forms of sport have very little bearing on RC, because of the severe power to weight ratios RC has, as well as corner speed to direction change required. On scale, these cars are not at all in proportion, and haven't been for at least 25 years.

The yz2, 22, schumacher KF and other forward-motor car can do well on lower bite or lower consistency track, but still struggle with getting off the corner.

Cite: yz2 at nationals/cactus, as grip came down and consistency went to crap, the yz2 times dropped.

Incubus, could you please stop speaking without experience - soon we're going to ask how you did at nationals and other large races, because you're starting to spout off useless facts without ANY background. I realize you've bought a YZ2, please stick to telling them you know everything, not the B5M group.
Agree'd with the YZ-2 in the corners if the track was loose, but only if you lost forward momentum. If you have good forward momentum, the YZ-2 will pull on any other car out there in the corners. But you've gotta keep the speed up. I noticed with mine, if I got off line and had to hit the brake, it didn't like that too much. But still your right high grip consistent is optimal, or the YMax conversion for lower grip. That car is good. If they could have run the YMax at Cactus they would have done better.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:07 PM   #16418
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

all this battery talk. are square packs even on the roar approval list? i couldn't find any. so most likely this is why guys are running shorty or saddle packs.
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:48 PM   #16419
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas PA View Post
Good idea, thanks!
tsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:49 PM   #16420
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
I have had to add weight on all MM cars I have driven. Even my B5M lite needed the aluminum bits to get the forward bite I require. Its not just TLR.
Aren't those aluminum bits lighter than the plastic? I know the brass bits are heavier.
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:44 PM   #16421
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
Aren't those aluminum bits lighter than the plastic? I know the brass bits are heavier.
I haven't weighed them, but I don't think they are lighter. That plastic feels like air in my hands.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #16422
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW ET View Post
all this battery talk. are square packs even on the roar approval list? i couldn't find any. so most likely this is why guys are running shorty or saddle packs.
Square packs are not roar legal, but saddles are.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:16 PM   #16423
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
that's what i thought.
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:06 PM   #16424
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Evidently I've been in the dark. I thought the square packs were legal.
Cautrell05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:36 PM   #16425
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

funny my trinity "brick" has roar approved tape around it...
noproblems209 is offline   Reply With Quote