R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-27-2015, 04:51 PM   #16351
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 393
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRT DIGGER View Post
hello all i have a question im wondering if any one is using the x factory chassis? im thinking about getting it for my b5m lite but want to make sure its worth it i dont want to waste money if its not worth it. i run on a med bite track and run mod
I have the plan B cf chassis for my mod and stock buggy... love it in stock... have found with a mod motor though I get to much chassis flex and have since gone back to a lite chassis.
__________________
KW Raceway https://m.facebook.com/kwraceway

Mugen Seiki/Yokomo Usa/Protek/Amain/R1 Wurks/Flashpoint/KW Raceway
robbie_gtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:52 PM   #16352
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 35
Default I need a bit of help please.

I am in the midst of putting together a B5m for carpet racing. I got it used. I have built helis and planes but this is the first buggy for me.

I have looked at the thread which shows a huge selection of electrical setups but still have a couple of questions.

1) The Rx I got with my Airtronics is very large so things are very tight between the battery area and the servo area.
-- Is it OK for the servo and ESC to be touching or only a very small space between them?
-- It looks like the capacitor has to touch the ESC as well. Is this OK?
The only other option is a smaller batter so that I could put the Rx and ESC in front of each other down the centre line.

2) The wires going from the ESC had to be unsoldered because they were too short. It is OK to use 13 and not 12 gauge wire? Must all the wires be the same gauge? (No mixing of 12 and 13)

Thanks,
John
johndriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:19 PM   #16353
J2O
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the incubus View Post
Didn't see anyone answer this for you so I'll take a stab at it.

I generally run Savox as they are a great value and one of the best servos I've used. I've not had a single issue with any of mine, but on a different one I received from a friend for beta testing I experienced a similar issue to yours and after an hour of head scratching I noticed the horn was a little short by comparison.

I switched the horn to a longer one and was able to get much more uniform throw to both sides.

Maybe a longer horn will do the trick for you.
May I ask which horn you are using? I notice the b5m specific horns have a bit of an offset to them. Even the exotek aluminum variants show this same offset.

As much I have pitled with this kit, I went and added the servo spacers in between the servo and servo mounts and I added the 1mm washer under the ball stud again. It has helped me some. I noticed that where I do have to go against the instructions surrounding the servo horn position. Since i get much more travel towards the spur side and not so much to the motor side, instead of installing the saver and setting it straight up, it's sitting at L35 on the radio sub trim but my toe links are still different lengths. Short throw when turning left and long throw turning right. I'll bias my expo settings to the right some and see how it does at the track tomorrow.

Thanks again for the servo horn tip, incubus.
J2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:52 AM   #16354
Regional Moderator
 
Jon Carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,880
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndriver View Post
I am in the midst of putting together a B5m for carpet racing. I got it used. I have built helis and planes but this is the first buggy for me.

I have looked at the thread which shows a huge selection of electrical setups but still have a couple of questions.

1) The Rx I got with my Airtronics is very large so things are very tight between the battery area and the servo area.
-- Is it OK for the servo and ESC to be touching or only a very small space between them?
-- It looks like the capacitor has to touch the ESC as well. Is this OK?
The only other option is a smaller batter so that I could put the Rx and ESC in front of each other down the centre line.

2) The wires going from the ESC had to be unsoldered because they were too short. It is OK to use 13 and not 12 gauge wire? Must all the wires be the same gauge? (No mixing of 12 and 13)

Thanks,
John
Yes you can mix wire gauges. 13 to the motor shouldn't be any issue.
As far as the fit goes, things can touch no problem, it can be a tight fit depending on electronics choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2O View Post
May I ask which horn you are using? I notice the b5m specific horns have a bit of an offset to them. Even the exotek aluminum variants show this same offset.

As much I have pitled with this kit, I went and added the servo spacers in between the servo and servo mounts and I added the 1mm washer under the ball stud again. It has helped me some. I noticed that where I do have to go against the instructions surrounding the servo horn position. Since i get much more travel towards the spur side and not so much to the motor side, instead of installing the saver and setting it straight up, it's sitting at L35 on the radio sub trim but my toe links are still different lengths. Short throw when turning left and long throw turning right. I'll bias my expo settings to the right some and see how it does at the track tomorrow.

Thanks again for the servo horn tip, incubus.
I would suggest that you make the turnbuckles the same length. It will make the car weird if you don't I feel. It's ok if the sub trim isn't at 0. You should be able to get full lock steering though. Did you say what radio you are using?
__________________
Jon Carlson
Team Associated, Reedy
Futaba, OS Engines, O'Donnell Racing Fuel
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:36 AM   #16355
Tech Rookie
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Slow compared to what? How does it run compared to the other 17.5 cars on your track? The two pieces of information missing from this, is what rotor you're running, and how much end-bell timing you're running. What temp is your motor coming off the track at after 6 minutes?
Alright here I go! This car has not been run on a track just returning to the game. I have nothing to really compare it to so maybe I am overlooking it. The car is a B5M Lite the motor(Trinity 24k) has not been messed with as I know nothing about the timming on these yet. Way back when we either had a good motor or it was a dud we would play with springs and brushes to try and help it and that was that. I am going to look into the timming deal and get a run time on my current set up and see! Thanks fellas all info welcomed!!!
Clos76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #16356
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 225
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clos76 View Post
Alright here I go! This car has not been run on a track just returning to the game. I have nothing to really compare it to so maybe I am overlooking it. The car is a B5M Lite the motor(Trinity 24k) has not been messed with as I know nothing about the timming on these yet. Way back when we either had a good motor or it was a dud we would play with springs and brushes to try and help it and that was that. I am going to look into the timming deal and get a run time on my current set up and see! Thanks fellas all info welcomed!!!
I don't know what the 24k comes with but my D4 came with ~25 degrees on the endbell. If your motor isn't getting hot, don't be afraid to to crank it up a bit. It's just heat you need to be worried about.

Here is an article about motor timing:
http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/view_article/20
(Look at the motor timing, thats endbell timing)
BrandonBreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:50 AM   #16357
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 912
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

I just built a B5M lite kit and replaced all the Aluminum parts with the Black anodized version. Is there any outlet for the blue Alum parts online? Turnbuckles, front axles, batt thumb screws, rear camber link mount, 3 gear motor plate, Original shock bodies and blue collars?
__________________
Former fast guy just trying to keep up......
Jamie Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #16358
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 225
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson View Post
I just built a B5M lite kit and replaced all the Aluminum parts with the Black anodized version. Is there any outlet for the blue Alum parts online? Turnbuckles, front axles, batt thumb screws, rear camber link mount, 3 gear motor plate, Original shock bodies and blue collars?
What do you mean is there an outlet? Like to sell your stuff? Ebay, craigslist, here?
BrandonBreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #16359
Tech Regular
 
Thomas PA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: York
Posts: 304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclove13 View Post
I plan on getting into this class to run mod 8.5t motor. Which buggy suits me better the reg or lite ?? Indoor medium grip track
The lite is a better value as it comes with some goodies the regular doesn't. The only thing that isn't a definite upgrade over the regular kit is going from a 3 gear to a 4 gear. Its personal preference and only $10 or so to make it a 4 gear again. So definitely the lite
__________________
-Thomas Kauffman
KDRC Carbon Fiber Upgrades
Bumps & Jumps RC, Pit Stop Hobbies
X6^3: Tekin, Fantom, Sav÷x
B5M: KDRC, Fantom, hobbywing, Sav÷x, Schelle, AC RC
Thomas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:27 PM   #16360
Super Moderator
 
Cpt.America's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 11,083
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clos76 View Post
Alright here I go! This car has not been run on a track just returning to the game. I have nothing to really compare it to so maybe I am overlooking it. The car is a B5M Lite the motor(Trinity 24k) has not been messed with as I know nothing about the timming on these yet. Way back when we either had a good motor or it was a dud we would play with springs and brushes to try and help it and that was that. I am going to look into the timming deal and get a run time on my current set up and see! Thanks fellas all info welcomed!!!
It is probably under-timed if you haven't touched it. I think the guys I know running the 24k are running ~45 degrees or so, of endbell timing. Set it close to that, run it around the track, and temp it every minute or two to make sure it doesn't overheat in the span of a normal race. If it is coming off under ~150 or ~160 after 6 minutes, you're ok.
__________________
A big thanks to my sponsors:
- Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -
- Fusion Graphix- www.fusiongraphix.com -
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #16361
Tech Regular
 
Jpdanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: TRCR
Posts: 386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
It is probably under-timed if you haven't touched it. I think the guys I know running the 24k are running ~45 degrees or so, of endbell timing. Set it close to that, run it around the track, and temp it every minute or two to make sure it doesn't overheat in the span of a normal race. If it is coming off under ~150 or ~160 after 6 minutes, you're ok.
I'd try anywhere 50-55 for buggy and 45-50 for truck. My B5M Lite is 50* with 69/30 gearing at it comes off <140* after about ten minutes. I could go higher with the timing or gearing, but I'm happy where it is at.
__________________
I buy RC cars for my kids like a man buys a bowling ball with his name on it for his wife.

"What I say makes sense in my head. Once it comes out of my mouth it's for you to figure out." -me
Jpdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #16362
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 450
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

can anyone tell me how to get 6 degree wing angle? thanks alot of any help
DIRT DIGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:35 PM   #16363
Tech Regular
 
twindad98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Burlington, North Carolina
Posts: 425
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

What are your thoughts on a square vs shorty? I ran at a different track this past weekend and I really struggled for on power traction, especially coming out of a turn. This track uses the same tire M4 Primes as my local track.
Most of the fast guys were running shorties instead of a full square. This was the only major difference I could see from their setups. I just wonder if running a shorty all the way back would give more rear bite on corner exit?
twindad98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:38 PM   #16364
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 532
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cautrell05 View Post
how well are the aluminum front axles holding up for you guys? Any issues with bending or breaking?
Anyone want to weigh in?
Cautrell05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:39 PM   #16365
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,124
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cautrell05 View Post
Anyone want to weigh in?
Just fine. Just like the Ti rear axles.

If you crash, well, then...Don't, and stuff won't break
__________________
Best Avatar on rc-tech
Socket is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:08 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net