R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 10-27-2015, 01:08 PM   #16336
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
...I was just gonna say holy crap that was a serious mouth full I have no idea how anyone could possibly say all that in one breath let alone have anything more to say but I'll try saying that 17.5 really isn't that slow and most people cant handle the speeds of mod motors anyway and actually run faster with a 17.5 than they do with even a mild mod motor.

pheew..i'm outta breath..carry on
lol. Yeah, I can turn better laps wit ha 13.5, but once I hit 10.5, I tend to over drive. But, I have never really given it time to adjust. I have a 9.5 I might try this weekend at SRS. Recently I was running my 17.5 in the mod class and beating a few guys. It is fairly rare locally to have a layout that is better suited to mod. 17.5 is the biggest class and they layout cater to those drivers. But with the Reedy race coming and many locals going, I suspect the mod class will pick up for a few months.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #16337
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Stock racing isn't for everyone. Not everyone enjoys going slow!
BrandonBreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:23 PM   #16338
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslider View Post
At my track many of the top runners have lap times in 17.5 that are faster than the mod buggy drivers. If you want more speed and can handle it go mod. It eliminates a lot of the motor and battery of the month club issues and is way cheaper to run than stock. A box stock b5mfl is all you need no expensive motors and battery's needed. Just get a decent motor you like the feel of, my favorite is the 9.5 from trackstar, it's cheap, powerful and is a very smooth motor
For the people that don't speak meth, I've converted this post to English.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:25 PM   #16339
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
lol. Yeah, I can turn better laps wit ha 13.5, but once I hit 10.5, I tend to over drive. But, I have never really given it time to adjust. I have a 9.5 I might try this weekend at SRS. Recently I was running my 17.5 in the mod class and beating a few guys. It is fairly rare locally to have a layout that is better suited to mod. 17.5 is the biggest class and they layout cater to those drivers. But with the Reedy race coming and many locals going, I suspect the mod class will pick up for a few months.

Yep, high grip and tight tracks..
Old 10-27-2015, 01:36 PM   #16340
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Until you win, beating a few novices that run mod is nothing to write home about. The big boys in modified are big named, and lapping you.
And what does it matter? Rivkin can beat all of the local mod guys with a 17.5 and no pucks or weird mods. My point was motors dont win races. Drivers do. I constantly hear guys say "I cant run mod, a 7.5 is too much motor". I was unaware mod was a 7.5 spec class. Too many drivers want to do exactly as the pros. That is stupid. Run the motor you want and have fun. Because neither you nor I will ever get paid to drive rc cars. Have fun and go home. Beating my "peers" in the mod class with a 17.5, just makes me smile. Fyi, I dont consider, Rivkin, Wheeler, Zippy, Tommy hinz, Maifield, Hicks or any of the like, my peers in RC driving, lol. Perhaps peers in life though.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:37 PM   #16341
Tech Prophet

Quote:
For the people that don't speak meth, I've converted this post to English.
Not meth, but i am sure he is on pain killers though, lol.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:42 PM   #16342
Suspended

Quote:
And what does it matter? Rivkin can beat all of the local mod guys with a 17.5 and no pucks or weird mods. My point was motors dont win races. Drivers do. I constantly hear guys say "I cant run mod, a 7.5 is too much motor". I was unaware mod was a 7.5 spec class. Too many drivers want to do exactly as the pros. That is stupid. Run the motor you want and have fun. Because neither you nor I will ever get paid to drive rc cars. Have fun and go home. Beating my "peers" in the mod class with a 17.5, just makes me smile. Fyi, I dont consider, Rivkin, Wheeler, Zippy, Tommy hinz, Maifield, Hicks or any of the like, my peers in RC driving, lol. Perhaps peers in life though.
I edited my post because I didn't like what I said, and how I said it. Sorry if it came off harsh/
Old 10-27-2015, 01:53 PM   #16343
Tech Prophet

Quote:
I edited my post because I didn't like what I said, and how I said it. Sorry if it came off harsh/
Haha, my skin is too thick for you :P

I enjoy racing my with my friends and people that bring out those competitive juices. Jslider is starting to throw down better times and is starting to beat me sometimes, I need to up my game. lol, I would love a track that is not an hour plus drive from my house.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:54 PM   #16344
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
I respect the info you give and I don't view it as the usual internet "hubbub". But locally I've never seen anyone go that far with the rear link. Hell, I'm willing to try it and see what happens but I would categorize it as being "out of the box" as far as a standard set up...IMO
Ehh, cav uses it in many of his setups:

His cactus classic setup
His crcrc winter indoor setup
His spectrum setup
His 2014 nats setup
His surf city setup

In fact, generally speaking he uses it more than the a hub.

In my opinion, definitely in the box

Wayne
Old 10-27-2015, 01:59 PM   #16345
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
I think you forgot at least a dozen periods, but I will cut you slack because you are recovering from surgery.
No my grammar sucks regardless of pain meds
jslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:14 PM   #16346
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslider View Post
No my grammar sucks regardless of pain meds
You forgot a comma and a period.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:57 PM   #16347
Tech Regular

Anyone want to buy some blue barcode tyres with 8 holes in the sidewall and 4 of them covered in tape? Racer1812!

I've really got to read posts all the way to the end.

Found some good info on venting tyres from a guy that drives locally. Ray M. Basically as a rule he vents tyres that have closed cell foams. And doesn't with open cell. However that can also depend on the tyre & conditions.
Volition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:01 PM   #16348
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hello all i have a question im wondering if any one is using the x factory chassis? im thinking about getting it for my b5m lite but want to make sure its worth it i dont want to waste money if its not worth it. i run on a med bite track and run mod
DIRT DIGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #16349
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRT DIGGER View Post
hello all i have a question im wondering if any one is using the x factory chassis? im thinking about getting it for my b5m lite but want to make sure its worth it i dont want to waste money if its not worth it. i run on a med bite track and run mod
Ask Cpt.America

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #16350
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2O View Post
Does any body have some time to chat about servos? My son and I both have b5m's, both with Spektrum DX4C's. His runs the savox 1258tg and I run the spektrum 6040, fairly identical servos or so I thought.

His savox installed nearly straight up, needs very little subtrim adjustment, runs toe links at kit instruction lengths and gets nearly full throw in both directions. One side turns a little further but the travel is so good that one side is 90% and the other is 85%.

My 6040 on the other hand has been such a headache. After exhausting every solution I can think of, my horn has been installed off center with toe links adjusted so that one is shorter and the other is longer than kit instructions, subtrim is L15. While the throw is close to even left to right, the steering blocks come nowhere near to hugging the caster blocks. It also seems that increasing travel on the radio past 100% gains nothing in throw.

Is everybody getting full throw left and right? Is anybody else running the 6040 with similar or better results?

Any help or info would be appreciated.
Didn't see anyone answer this for you so I'll take a stab at it.

I generally run Savox as they are a great value and one of the best servos I've used. I've not had a single issue with any of mine, but on a different one I received from a friend for beta testing I experienced a similar issue to yours and after an hour of head scratching I noticed the horn was a little short by comparison.

I switched the horn to a longer one and was able to get much more uniform throw to both sides.

Maybe a longer horn will do the trick for you.
WWW.TRICOUNTYHOBBIES.COM :: WWW.CRPPLUS.COM
the incubus is offline   Reply With Quote