R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 10-27-2015, 09:13 AM   #16321
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
You will get all sorts of answers. What we can all hopefully agree on is that you will need holes some where in your wheel/tire and that depends on your track conditions. Standard hole locations are in wheels, tire sidewall or tire tread.

So tell us your expected track conditions and many will make recommendations from their experience.
Yeah, but there's only one *right* answer, and everybody has a different one
Old 10-27-2015, 09:26 AM   #16322
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razathorn View Post
Yeah, but there's only one *right* answer, and everybody has a different one
About 8 holes in the rim, half of them covered in tape. And a dozen randomly placed holes in the tire should just about make you perfect..

I personally vent both the tire and the rim, 2 holes each. Tires..sometimes in the middle, sometimes one hole to the outside of the tread, one hole to the inside. All depends on my mood

Obviously this is only on my B5m/B5m lite. My other cars, completely different scenario, and requires posting in those specific car threads.

please note heavy sarcasm.

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #16323
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I ordered the B5M lite for my second kit (Just finished a SC5M.) Are most people running this in stock class or mod? Is there a general consensus on how to set the trailing axe inserts, rear hub link or bulkhead angle?
John Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #16324
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sargent View Post
I ordered the B5M lite for my second kit (Just finished a SC5M.) Are most people running this in stock class or mod? Is there a general consensus on how to set the trailing axe inserts, rear hub link or bulkhead angle?
Out of the box the car simply works, for both stock and mod. The items you asked about, and I highlighted, again out of the box works for most people. Maybe some small ball stud washer changes. But overall, unless your track needs some crazy setup specific stuff, the kit setup is a solid place to start.

The kit 1.6 piston 32.5 oil front and rear isn't the norm at my track, but I built my lite that way just to test it compared to the set up on old B5m, and the handling was really close. Actually better in some areas. No need to get 'crazy' from the kit set up on the car...IMO

Old 10-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #16325
Tech Master

I'm of the honest opinion that the rear b hub "half hole longer" link position should be the default on this platform, regardless of the height of the inside ball stud position specific to your track. I think it makes the car rotate more linearly on most layouts and have a bit more traction when starting out. I really like it.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:58 AM   #16326
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

how well are the aluminum front axles holding up for you guys? Any issues with bending or breaking?
Cautrell05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:06 AM   #16327
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razathorn View Post
I'm of the honest opinion that the rear b hub "half hole longer" link position should be the default on this platform, regardless of the height of the inside ball stud position specific to your track. I think it makes the car rotate more linearly on most layouts and have a bit more traction when starting out. I really like it.

I respect the info you give and I don't view it as the usual internet "hubbub". But locally I've never seen anyone go that far with the rear link. Hell, I'm willing to try it and see what happens but I would categorize it as being "out of the box" as far as a standard set up...IMO

Old 10-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #16328
Tech Rookie

Default B5M SUPER SLOW...

HELLO everyone I am a long time racer that took a break and have started in the hobby again so I have built a new B5M with all the goodies! My problem is that I ran it last night for the first time and man is that thing slow! I have a mini8 that is faster then this! Please any suggestions are welcomed! H ere is a list of my parts....
B5M lite
savox servo
Futaba reciver
Hobbyking ESC
Trinity 24k 17.5
Orion carbon pro lipo 4500mah
Car is geared according to AE gear chart 31/69 spur
Clos76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:41 AM   #16329
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clos76 View Post
HELLO everyone I am a long time racer that took a break and have started in the hobby again so I have built a new B5M with all the goodies! My problem is that I ran it last night for the first time and man is that thing slow! I have a mini8 that is faster then this! Please any suggestions are welcomed! H ere is a list of my parts....
B5M lite
savox servo
Futaba reciver
Hobbyking ESC
Trinity 24k 17.5
A 17.5 is probably going to be slower than a mini 8ight depending on the battery is in the 8ight. 8ights are so light that on 3s they are faster than a lot of cars.

There are a few solutions to make the b5m faster:
Endbell timing (Stock legal)
ESC timing (Not stock legal)
Get a lower wind motor
Higher pinion/lower spur gear (Although you aren't going to want to go to far from where you are now)

Make sure you watch motor temperatures when increasing timing and changing gearing.

Last edited by racer1812; 10-27-2015 at 11:52 AM. Reason: thread merge....
BrandonBreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:25 PM   #16330
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonBreh View Post
A 17.5 is probably going to be slower than a mini 8ight depending on the battery is in the 8ight. 8ights are so light that on 3s they are faster than a lot of cars.

There are a few solutions to make the b5m faster:
Endbell timing (Stock legal)
ESC timing (Not stock legal)
Get a lower wind motor
Higher pinion/lower spur gear (Although you aren't going to want to go to far from where you are now)

Make sure you watch motor temperatures when increasing timing and changing gearing.
Thank you! I am kinda bummed out though I wanted to be in a competitive class but with a little speed... not ready for mod class driving skills not back up to par for that!! Has anyone tried a successful gear ratio/timming combo?
Clos76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:28 PM   #16331
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
B5M lite
savox servo
Futaba reciver
Hobbyking ESC
Trinity 24k 17.5
Slow compared to what? How does it run compared to the other 17.5 cars on your track? The two pieces of information missing from this, is what rotor you're running, and how much end-bell timing you're running. What temp is your motor coming off the track at after 6 minutes?
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:29 PM   #16332
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Quote:
Thank you! I am kinda bummed out though I wanted to be in a competitive class but with a little speed... not ready for mod class driving skills not back up to par for that!! Has anyone tried a successful gear ratio/timming combo?
17.5 will be slow. and optimal timing and gearing it motor specific. If you feel the need for speed, pickup a 10.5 and run mod.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:35 PM   #16333
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

At my track many of the top runners have lap times in 17.5 that are faster than the mod buggy drivers I'd you want more speed and can handle it go mod it eliminates a lot of the motor and battery of the month club issues and is way cheaper to run than stock a box b5mfl is all you need no expensive motors and battery's needed just get a decent motor you like the feel of my favorite is the 9.5 from trackstar cheap powerful and is a very ssmooth motor
jslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:39 PM   #16334
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

I think you forgot at least a dozen periods, but I will cut you slack because you are recovering from surgery.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #16335
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
I think you forgot at least a dozen periods, but I will cut you slack because you are recovering from surgery.
...I was just gonna say holy crap that was a serious mouth full I have no idea how anyone could possibly say all that in one breath let alone have anything more to say but I'll try saying that 17.5 really isn't that slow and most people cant handle the speeds of mod motors anyway and actually run faster with a 17.5 than they do with even a mild mod motor.

pheew..i'm outta breath..carry on