R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 10-05-2015, 03:22 PM   #15871
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Need to purchase some new batteries for my B5M and T5M. What size batteries should I run? What brand seems to be the best? Thanks
moto44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:06 PM   #15872
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto44 View Post
Need to purchase some new batteries for my B5M and T5M. What size batteries should I run? What brand seems to be the best? Thanks
I like Orion. Decent IR and look cool.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:10 PM   #15873
Tech Master

With the new AE springs, Green Fronts 54mm at 3.75 lbs, old Green big bore at 3.25. I am safe to say I need to find a 54mm at 3.25 to get same rebound in the conversion?
Old 10-05-2015, 05:06 PM   #15874
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volition View Post
Anyone used a torque gauge to measure diff tightness. I know you can get screwdriver/wrench torque gauges. Seems like a reliable way to get the tightness right.

There are cheap ones out there.
http://m.supercheapauto.com.au/Produ...Angular/214307

Just an idea. What do you think? Could you hold 1 wheel and twist the other with the gauge. To get a reading.
Personally I race toy cars for bowling trophies so this seems a little excessive to me. No offense but with tolerances not crazy tight batch to batch and with the setup changes and wear a diff experiences even if you check after every single run your never going to get identical readings and you probably wont even get close after a rebuild or 2
Old 10-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #15875
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooba View Post
Personally I race toy cars for bowling trophies so this seems a little excessive to me. No offense but with tolerances not crazy tight batch to batch and with the setup changes and wear a diff experiences even if you check after every single run your never going to get identical readings and you probably wont even get close after a rebuild or 2
Shhh, let him do it and tell everyone they're wrong.

He probably won't come back to tell us all we were right, but I will feel validated.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:09 PM   #15876
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
This is pretty easy - pull apart the transmission and see where the play is. You don't want it super tight in the cases, however just like anything, shim to perfection.
Cool, thanks Socket.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:03 PM   #15877
Tech Regular

I'll take everyone 's feedback on face value. The gauge is $20. I saw Jconcepts have a ride height gauge for $30. So value is reasonable.

From the feedback though it would seem too unreliable. If I get bored one day. Might give it a whirl. Thanks for your input.

I can hear you socket. You ll have to whisper much quieter. I'll think I'll wait to tell everyone they are wrong. You ruined the moment you cynical one.
Volition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #15878
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto44 View Post
I use SMC shorty packs. They are priced good and work great.
Teknoracer4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #15879
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

When using the Associated aluminum rear hubs, which position is closest to the stock setup? Also will I need any washers between the ball stud and the hub?
afm223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:56 PM   #15880
Tech Master

Quote:
I'll take everyone 's feedback on face value. The gauge is $20. I saw Jconcepts have a ride height gauge for $30. So value is reasonable.

From the feedback though it would seem too unreliable. If I get bored one day. Might give it a whirl. Thanks for your input.

I can hear you socket. You ll have to whisper much quieter. I'll think I'll wait to tell everyone they are wrong. You ruined the moment you cynical one.
I think it makes sense in the mechanical world and would be great if it was a click it and forget it but with all the plastic and variables it may get you close but then you would still need to tweak tighter or looser depending.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:19 PM   #15881
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cridd View Post
I think it makes sense in the mechanical world and would be great if it was a click it and forget it but with all the plastic and variables it may get you close but then you would still need to tweak tighter or looser depending.
Diff's wear. Diff's set in, and Diff's are active. They're also held together by a Nylock. It's not a torqued assembly that can actively be measured because of all of these variables above.

But, what do I know. I carry the same clout as the idiot that gives us facts on 3 gears but doesn't know how camber links work.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:21 PM   #15882
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Relax, people... same team.

Volition, When I setting my diff, I can get a pretty noticeable change in diff tightness or looseness as, maybe going in a quarter turn, or out a quarter turn, but the tension/torque I feel on my allen wrench doesn't seem to really change. You need to be able to tune your diff based on the perceived tension in the diff action, and then know how that tension behaves on the track. You aren't going to get what you need from a ball diff, using a torque wrench. Does not apply.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:59 PM   #15883
Super Moderator

Quote:
Anyone used a torque gauge to measure diff tightness. I know you can get screwdriver/wrench torque gauges. Seems like a reliable way to get the tightness right.

There are cheap ones out there.
http://m.supercheapauto.com.au/Produ...Angular/214307

Just an idea. What do you think? Could you hold 1 wheel and twist the other with the gauge. To get a reading.
Your'e thinking of using the torque wrench to measure the actual diff action, right? Not the diff bolt torque?

At the very least I don't think the linked wrench is the correct tool. That appears to be a version of what some call a torque-tension tool with a 1/2" socket drive, used for final torquing of fairly substantial full scale bolts. Not sensitive enough, and the angle part doesn't apply.

With a far more sensitive/lower range torque only wrench it might be possible at least to an extent. I think the best chance of success would be on the bare diff out of the car. The torque is so low that things like driveshaft binding and hub bearings would add to the challenge.

Interesting idea, if you do try it I would like to know how it works or doesn't.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:30 AM   #15884
Tech Apprentice

How much longer till we get a worlds kit?
Old 10-06-2015, 01:15 AM   #15885
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silberpfeil View Post
How much longer till we get a worlds kit?
Yeah, make it happen by November please....

davesrctracks.net
tomdav is offline   Reply With Quote