R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree7Likes

Old 09-11-2015, 06:29 PM   #15511
Tech Apprentice

hmm..needs a front wing
will5879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #15512
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD99 View Post
Wondering if anyone knows why when I get on the throttle onto the straight, about 30'-60' later my buggy starts doing a wicked wheelie? There's nothing on the track causing the front end to lift I don't believe, no crazy bump. I'm not using turbo or boost either. My EPA is -20%. Running a 4 gear and a Schelle slipper. Two white pads and a red pad. Med-high traction clay.

Anyone?
What motor do you have in it?

"What I say makes sense in my head. Once it comes out of my mouth it's for you to figure out." -me
Jpdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:18 AM   #15513
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Wondering if anyone knows why when I get on the throttle onto the straight, about 30'-60' later my buggy starts doing a wicked wheelie? There's nothing on the track causing the front end to lift I don't believe, no crazy bump. I'm not using turbo or boost either. My EPA is -20%. Running a 4 gear and a Schelle slipper. Two white pads and a red pad. Med-high traction clay.

Anyone?
How tall is your wicker bill?
Old 09-12-2015, 04:37 AM   #15514
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I am just getting back into r/c after a several year layoff. Almost all of my previous racing was indoor on carpet with either touring cars or 12th scale. I just ordered a b5m lite and the necessary parts to put a 4 gear tranny in since I will be racing outdoors on a lower grip track. My question is about the bearings. For now I will run the kit bearings - do people pull the seals and clean out any grease and re-oil like what did indoors , or just install them as they come. I will be running mod if that makes a difference.
Thanks
dway100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:17 AM   #15515
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I am running a 7.5T, 25T pinion and 78T spur.

For wicker I am running a Trifecta wing, with it cut to the lowest line, which now that I am looking at it, is still a fairly large scoop! The Trifecta cut down compared to a JC wing at stock wicker, no cutting, so the wicker is fairly large. I guess that could be the issue. I have considered running 20g of weight in front...
EB48SL/RX8/TekinT8i/Hitec7599/SMC4500(4S)
Grasshopper/Tekin FX/Twister 27T/FutabaS9551/Speed power
HeavyD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:18 AM   #15516
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dway100 View Post
I am just getting back into r/c after a several year layoff. Almost all of my previous racing was indoor on carpet with either touring cars or 12th scale. I just ordered a b5m lite and the necessary parts to put a 4 gear tranny in since I will be racing outdoors on a lower grip track. My question is about the bearings. For now I will run the kit bearings - do people pull the seals and clean out any grease and re-oil like what did indoors , or just install them as they come. I will be running mod if that makes a difference.
Thanks
4 gear? Seriously? Please, in all of your infinite reasoning, why would you downgrade?

Leave the bearings, the kit bearings are cheap, but they will work right out of the box. Spraying out kit bearings is a very old practice for when runtimes and HP were an issue.
Socket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:18 AM   #15517
Suspended

Quote:
I am running a 7.5T, 25T pinion and 78T spur.

For wicker I am running a Trifecta wing, with it cut to the lowest line, which now that I am looking at it, is still a fairly large scoop! The Trifecta cut down compared to a JC wing at stock wicker, no cutting, so the wicker is fairly large. I guess that could be the issue. I have considered running 20g of weight in front...
Feather the throttle.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:27 AM   #15518
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

anybody know who sells the brass weight that goes under the battery?
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:36 AM   #15519
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW ET View Post
anybody know who sells the brass weight that goes under the battery?
mckunedesign.com
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:40 AM   #15520
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
4 gear? Seriously? Please, in all of your infinite reasoning, why would you downgrade?

Leave the bearings, the kit bearings are cheap, but they will work right out of the box. Spraying out kit bearings is a very old practice for when runtimes and HP were an issue.
The track I will be running at can be pretty dry and slick coming out of some corners, so from what I have read about the 4 gear, it should help with rear traction. Is that not the case?

I was planning on going back to the 3 gear when we move inside this winter on to carpet.
dway100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:45 AM   #15521
Suspended

Quote:
The track I will be running at can be pretty dry and slick coming out of some corners, so from what I have read about the 4 gear, it should help with rear traction. Is that not the case?

I was planning on going back to the 3 gear when we move inside this winter on to carpet.
You test it, and see what you come up with. I've done my own on outdoor low bite, and did just fine with the 3 gear. Setup is always critical...
Old 09-12-2015, 07:48 AM   #15522
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBuddha View Post
mckunedesign.com
thanks
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:33 AM   #15523
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:

4 gear will help pitch weight to the rear under acceleration.

I run a 4 gear with cut gears and lightened shaft and slipper elim on my Serpent and I have ridiculous acceleration too with the benefit of the weight transfer.

I think the 3 gear thing is mostly hype and the newest fad, most will go back to 4 gear eventually. 3 gear is for higher grip so it would work great on carpet with a gear diff and slipper elim.
support your local tracks- Beachline Raceway-386-Full Throttle Raceway
JEFFs SC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #15524
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
It worked great on my XXX in 1997.
You had a Triple X in 1997? Intriguing.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:03 PM   #15525
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrak View Post
Not having actually raced this TP motor and only spending time doing practices, I settled on a final ratio quite a bit lower than you did. With your gearing you ended up at 6.455, running mine at 33\69 puts me at 5.436. If I stick to five minute intervals and timing on the end can turned almost all the way down, I am temping the TP 17.5 at around 145, pretty safe temp range from what I can gather.

I would be curious to see how your buggy handles a lower ratio and if you can see improved lap times or not. Since I am gearing to use the torque this motor provides, I found that adding timing brought on more heat with less ability to swing the lower gear ratio with out any added acceleration. Since the track is being reset this week, this might all be a moot point if it is a more open and flowing track come this weekend
With the timing at 40* on the old Nor-Cal layout I could run consistent 15.5s and a fast lap of 15.2. The local hot shoes ran a second faster than me with my car. When I ran 72/30 or 31, I would never top out in speed and I could never accelerate as fast as the others racing.

I used to run tall gearing and low timing but found out I was faster gearing down and adding timing.
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote