R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #15466
Tech Master
 
Razathorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,972
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGSKI15 View Post
The grey spring will add more push to the car. A stiffer spring will give more initial response but will push mid turn. I usually use a grey sprin on higher traction tracks.
For what its worth, I run the grays on loose tracks too.
__________________
AE B6D / AE B44.3 / AE RC10WC / AE RC8B3
Razathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:07 AM   #15467
Tech Addict
 
BIGSKI15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Western PA
Posts: 544
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Raz,

I do too at times toe prevent the car from hooking if that is a problem with white springs.
__________________
B6D
B5M
Airtronics M12
BIGSKI15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #15468
Tech Master
 
Razathorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,972
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

The faster you drive, the stiffer front spring you want! Go fast guys!!!
__________________
AE B6D / AE B44.3 / AE RC10WC / AE RC8B3
Razathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #15469
Tech Regular
 
VegasHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 456
Default

I've got my B5m balanced out really well and handling great but I was planning on running on a sugared track this coming week. To start I plan on raising my roll center for the higher grip, is it fair to say removing 2mm ballstud spacers up front and 2mm ballstud spacers in the rear will maintain that balance? I assume the geometry front and rear is close enough to make this assumption?
__________________
Don't worry about saving pennies, worry about making dollars.
702rcraceway.com, sponsored by my wallet
VegasHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:18 PM   #15470
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 225
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Anybody try the new reedy mach 3 17.5 short stack or even the regular one? How do you like it compared to other ones?

I have a trinity d4 17.5 maxzilla and i overheated it too many times. Time for a new one.

I run a reedy 8.5 mach 2 when i run modified and it's super smooth. I've heard that trinity is the way to go in stock and reedy in modified.

Not sure if i should get a trinity ss or the reedy ss.
BrandonBreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #15471
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: N Cal
Posts: 283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonBreh View Post
Anybody try the new reedy mach 3 17.5 short stack or even the regular one? How do you like it compared to other ones?

I have a trinity d4 17.5 maxzilla and i overheated it too many times. Time for a new one.

I run a reedy 8.5 mach 2 when i run modified and it's super smooth. I've heard that trinity is the way to go in stock and reedy in modified.

Not sure if i should get a trinity ss or the reedy ss.

So far I have only had the chance to run a Team Powers Actinium, the Trinity D4S Short Stack I bought had issues out of the box.

The Team Powers I love for it's massive torque, geared two teeth low with timing turned almost down to zero, which I think on the TP is still like 30 degrees at zero. Running it at 33\69 this last weekend gave it great corner-to-corner pull, fairly short track with short approaches to two fairly good sized jumps and the torque is useful more than an RPM type motor.

I will say I was not happy to have the Trinity come out of the box with issues but just heard back from Jim Dieter and he confirmed that the motor had issues on one of the poles and is turning the motor around ASAP, nice customer service I must say!

I am dying to get the motor back from Jim and put it through it's paces, I have a feeling it will be good since Jim will be setting it up himself and he tested each phase to see how much timing it was pulling and making the motor right with his own hands. Truly hard to beat that kind of customer service in this day and age of disposable products.

Using the Team Powers motor setup the way the instructions from my B5M and even the TP setup sheet, it was not well matched for the track I run on. They had the motor shifted to spin it up but did not leverage the massive torque it produces. Once I played with the gear ratio, started at 30\69 and worked my way up to 33\69 reducing timing to manage heat. I went from struggling to have enough pop out of the corners to clear the two big jumps to easily having the torque to pop over them with very little effort which made picking lines and driving the buggy much easier and less stressful.

If the track I was running on was a more open and longer style setup, the rpm oriented setup would be preferable, for now I am enjoying having the grunt to get around the corners and drive the torque curve. it was almost pulling a wheely coming down the straight, it had just enough to get the wheels just barely touching the ground.
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:37 PM   #15472
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Antelope Valley, CA
Posts: 4,758
Trader Rating: 483 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasHB View Post
I've got my B5m balanced out really well and handling great but I was planning on running on a sugared track this coming week. To start I plan on raising my roll center for the higher grip, is it fair to say removing 2mm ballstud spacers up front and 2mm ballstud spacers in the rear will maintain that balance? I assume the geometry front and rear is close enough to make this assumption?
Here's a typical setup for sugared blue groove in 90-105 degree heat:

I run a pretty much book set up in the front other than 0mm on the rack, 2mm under the ballstud. In the rear my set up is pretty basic too. You need to run a long link, I run the aluminum hub w/ball stud in the second longest hole with 1mm under the ball on the hub and 1mm under the inside ball with the ballstud holder flipped in the -2 position. I run a 3 hole 1.4 piston in the front with 32.5-35 and run .75-1mm of extra droop over the box set up w/ white spring but I've been considering grey. The rear I run a 2 hole 1.6 piston 32.5 w/white spring and around .5 - .75 extra droop over the book setting. The proline X2 is the best blue groove tire there is (suburb rears/scrubs up front). If you can't get x2s then orange barcodes are the next best. Regardless of anything else, if you run the oil any thicker the car will feel funny. Even when its 100 plus degrees out the car feels weird with more than 35/32.5. Max the droop out till the car starts to roll over and then reduce a hair.
__________________
Now that I've discovered the ignore list I plan to use it.....14 and counting!
QDRHRSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:37 PM   #15473
Tech Master
 
Razathorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,972
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasHB View Post
I've got my B5m balanced out really well and handling great but I was planning on running on a sugared track this coming week. To start I plan on raising my roll center for the higher grip, is it fair to say removing 2mm ballstud spacers up front and 2mm ballstud spacers in the rear will maintain that balance? I assume the geometry front and rear is close enough to make this assumption?

No... Probably not. I'd start with 1mm front and low+2mm in the rear. Anything more than that and you're getting out of the range of normal setups.
__________________
AE B6D / AE B44.3 / AE RC10WC / AE RC8B3
Razathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #15474
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 225
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrak View Post
So far I have only had the chance to run a Team Powers Actinium, the Trinity D4S Short Stack I bought had issues out of the box.

The Team Powers I love for it's massive torque, geared two teeth low with timing turned almost down to zero, which I think on the TP is still like 30 degrees at zero. Running it at 33\69 this last weekend gave it great corner-to-corner pull, fairly short track with short approaches to two fairly good sized jumps and the torque is useful more than an RPM type motor.

I will say I was not happy to have the Trinity come out of the box with issues but just heard back from Jim Dieter and he confirmed that the motor had issues on one of the poles and is turning the motor around ASAP, nice customer service I must say!

I am dying to get the motor back from Jim and put it through it's paces, I have a feeling it will be good since Jim will be setting it up himself and he tested each phase to see how much timing it was pulling and making the motor right with his own hands. Truly hard to beat that kind of customer service in this day and age of disposable products.

Using the Team Powers motor setup the way the instructions from my B5M and even the TP setup sheet, it was not well matched for the track I run on. They had the motor shifted to spin it up but did not leverage the massive torque it produces. Once I played with the gear ratio, started at 30\69 and worked my way up to 33\69 reducing timing to manage heat. I went from struggling to have enough pop out of the corners to clear the two big jumps to easily having the torque to pop over them with very little effort which made picking lines and driving the buggy much easier and less stressful.

If the track I was running on was a more open and longer style setup, the rpm oriented setup would be preferable, for now I am enjoying having the grunt to get around the corners and drive the torque curve. it was almost pulling a wheely coming down the straight, it had just enough to get the wheels just barely touching the ground.
Team Powers seems to be a hot motor in Cali. Never saw one here in Michigan. Everyone at my track seems to be running short stacks.

We are allowed to run timing on our speed controls. Our track is a small indoor, rubber surface track. Traction is always through the roof. We run slicks all winter and summer.

My #1 concern with my motors is heat. I'm always squeezing every last bit out of my D4 to get it through 7 minutes. I need a motor that runs cool. I hear the short stacks generate less heat.

I've only ever run a D4 Maxzilla 17.5 as far as 17.5 motors go. I wasn't ecstatic about the performance but i wasn't pissed. Would like to try something this time, but don't mind staying with trinity.

So I guess I will do some more research on the TP motor
BrandonBreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:22 PM   #15475
JDe
Tech Apprentice
 
JDe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Perth Australia
Posts: 53
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razathorn View Post
For what its worth, I run the grays on loose tracks too.
"Thats not a knife"

Come race in Aus if you want a 'loose' track :P

Green spring ftw.
__________________
My Signature > Your Signature
JDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:05 PM   #15476
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: N Cal
Posts: 283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonBreh View Post
Team Powers seems to be a hot motor in Cali. Never saw one here in Michigan. Everyone at my track seems to be running short stacks.

We are allowed to run timing on our speed controls. Our track is a small indoor, rubber surface track. Traction is always through the roof. We run slicks all winter and summer.

My #1 concern with my motors is heat. I'm always squeezing every last bit out of my D4 to get it through 7 minutes. I need a motor that runs cool. I hear the short stacks generate less heat.

I've only ever run a D4 Maxzilla 17.5 as far as 17.5 motors go. I wasn't ecstatic about the performance but i wasn't pissed. Would like to try something this time, but don't mind staying with trinity.

So I guess I will do some more research on the TP motor
With our 17.5 class we get endbell timing and blinky mode on the ESC. Heat is always an issue when you are trying to squeeze amps through a motor to get power out of it, higher the traction the more managing it matters. I used to run indoor carpet and it was pretty much the same thing twelve years ago with 27 turn brushed motors, not much has changed in that regard. With the 30\69 suggested gearing I was getting the motor warm but never once did I get the Orion 4500 shorty even mildly warm, with this last setup, 33\69, the battery was coming off pretty warm and the motor was running in the 140's.

What impressed me on our short course layout is the guys running mod motors, most in the 7.5-10.5, had a hard time even pulling me on the infield and got questioned on what motor I was running more than once. The straight, not very long one and ends in an abrupt ninety and an immediate jump into a bowl and that is where I lost ground the most. Actually, my bobbles is where I lost ground the most
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:42 AM   #15477
Tech Adept
 
gabc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sg
Posts: 196
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default B4 compatible parts

Anyone knows if these b4 parts will fit the b5m?

1. Front arms, c blocks n steering knuckles

2. Rear arms n hubs

And is there any other part that will fit? Thanks!
gabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:55 AM   #15478
Regional Moderator
 
Jon Carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,882
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabc View Post
Anyone knows if these b4 parts will fit the b5m?

1. Front arms, c blocks n steering knuckles

2. Rear arms n hubs

And is there any other part that will fit? Thanks!
None of the parts fit. It is a completely new car.
__________________
Jon Carlson
Team Associated, Reedy
Futaba, OS Engines, O'Donnell Racing Fuel
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:05 AM   #15479
Tech Adept
 
gabc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sg
Posts: 196
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Carlson View Post
None of the parts fit. It is a completely new car.
Oh shoot. At least the arms look like they'll fit!
gabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:02 AM   #15480
Tech Elite
 
Mason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ocala, Florida
Posts: 4,853
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabc View Post
Anyone knows if these b4 parts will fit the b5m?

1. Front arms, c blocks n steering knuckles

2. Rear arms n hubs

And is there any other part that will fit? Thanks!
Upper links are the only shared part on the cars.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (1 members and 4 guests)
Speed Chaser
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:39 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net