R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 09-04-2015, 07:27 PM   #15436
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Well said.

Akerman is very track dependent, and when you're on a surface where traction is an after thought, getting the car to square and get off the corner hard is the focus. This will also be determined by driving style, and power applied.

I liked the hard turn in the negative akerman gave me once I let weight transfer forward, it'd "plant" the car, and then I could immediately grab a hand full and have the car finish the corner WFO. We also talked about how I liked my electronics setup to allow the car to rotate more.

Wildcat drove my car, made it 1 corner and crashed. 2 more corners, crashed...said it was impossible to drive with so much steering.

When you're pushing the edge of the car, the tire, and the motor, more steering with a planted rear is very much welcome, as on a track where corner speed is low because of 180's, it allows you to get off the corner HARD.

If the track is very open and flowing, I see myself going to either zero or positive 1 akerman, or if I were a much slower racer, I could see how that setup would be very twitchy.

Personally, I'm super interested in Cav's nationals setup - it's completely off the map to what I understand (which is VERY little...).

Edit: I played around with the ghea pivot inserts and wide pivot around the time the 3 gear dropped, months before AE had anything available. I wasn't always impressed with how the car felt. Cav's setup definitely gives light to how to utilize the different rear pivot setup.
Haha, I did not like your car, lol. Way too edgy for me. to each their own.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #15437
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Heads up to those who tried my setup. There was a mistake on my setup sheet showing my rear inner brace using the outside camber link hole. I was using the standard hole. I don't know how it got selected incorrectly, but I noticed it today making minor changes to my sheet.

EDIT: New setup attached with correction. I also went back to -2mm+3mm on the rear brace due to finding a tire that really worked well when the track was loose. The car was too stuck when I wanted it to rotate at that point, so I raised the rear RC a little and got the best feel across the tires I have to run as the track changes. It's really nuts when the track gets a moist groove at night and we can throw on electrons, especially when running blockades earlier because it was loamy. We have very dynamic traction depending on the moisture and sun when running outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-rc10b5mfl_wayne_20150904.jpg  

Last edited by Razathorn; 09-04-2015 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Attached new setup
Razathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:58 AM   #15438
Tech Regular

Fasttrak, I am using positive ackerman as the inside tire turns in hard wile the outside goes straight and Anti-ackerman or negative as the outside wheel turning while the inside goes straight. ( I actually thought this was never done, until I read full size F1 use it to control tire wear.)
I got this theory from researching full size car ackerman settings online. I don't know if it's the "r/c" method as Socket seems opposite.

To understand the B5M turn the wheels slow and watch them. I think the steering rack geometry adds very little ackerman near center (or negative with 2mm shims) and then adds a ton at the end near full lock. It's not linear. I'm calling neutral as the inside turning slightly more than the outside to match the projected path when drawing two different circles on paper.
I will NOT even talk about calculating slip angle drag of an r/c tire on dirt. That should be left to NASA.
Eddie_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:35 PM   #15439
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

wildcat... socket... Whats good in AZ
Old 09-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #15440
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter36 View Post
wildcat... socket... Whats good in AZ
whats is good? clarify, lol
Old 09-06-2015, 07:34 AM   #15441
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
whats is good? clarify, lol
Massive back end traction with pin-point steering everywhere Pretty much what we're all striving for.
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:00 AM   #15442
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anyone know that waterfall fits the low profile lightweight shorty packs. Mine has a big gap and I am afraid it will move around.

If it was one with a fan mount it would be even better.
neu2this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:23 AM   #15443
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by neu2this View Post
Anyone know that waterfall fits the low profile lightweight shorty packs. Mine has a big gap and I am afraid it will move around.

Search b5m waterfall on shapeways and look for the one with the adjustment screw where the strap goes in
Can't recall the company name
Thomas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #15444
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 478 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neu2this View Post

It would be much easier to just put a piece of foam on top of the battery. If its tight enough under the battery strap it will be fine. No need for a special waterfall.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:08 AM   #15445
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Finally got my B5M Lite out to the track. It's basicly a box straight setup with a 17.5, shorty up front and slipper eliminator. All I can say is this thing is a blast to drive! It's so neutral feeling with no quirks that I have to overcome. Every other car or truck I've ever had (dating back to the original RC10 and 10T Gold pans) have needed a lot of track time and tuning. This thing just needs some minor tuning but is already fast. Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I've been able to find what I need to start fine tuning for my track. Now to get it to a race and see if I'm right about how good it is.

Brakes? who needs brakes?
SCTDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #15446
Tech Elite

Is there a track out that way other than the RoadRunners track in Camarillo?
Old 09-06-2015, 10:19 AM   #15447
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
Is there a track out that way other than the RoadRunners track in Camarillo?
Just the Roadrunners that I'm aware of.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:47 AM   #15448
Tech Elite

I've been on that track....did you run dry on X2s or damp on Holeshots? I'm surprised that the box set up was good on outdoor blue groove (for all those who have no idea what that track is like).
Old 09-06-2015, 11:08 AM   #15449
Tech Regular

deleted

Last edited by SCTDan; 09-06-2015 at 11:58 AM. Reason: inappropriate content for the thread
Old 09-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #15450
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

This thread looks like a great place to discuss the Roadrunner track specifics. Please leave this thread for B5M discussion for the benefit of all. Thanks.

The Roadrunners RC Club V.2

Same for other tracks, better use of the regional forums and track threads could really help those looking for vehicle specific info, a common and I think valid concern.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote