Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree54Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 10:51 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson
Does anyone know if the ASC91606 V2 topshaft from the B5M lite will fit in the V2 4gear transmission case with a VTS slipper?
I thought I read somewhere a ways back that the bearings in the 3gear and V2 4gear cases are the same, but what about the top shaft?
Yes, you use the idler gear bearings in the V2 case with a V2 topshaft.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So, off topic a bit, but I think you guys will have a better chance of knowing the answer / seeing the question. With the b5/m and b44.3 platforms, the v2 big bores have a smaller gland for the o-ring as we know. Additionally, AE changed the size of their red o-rings and now both the x-rings and red o-rings leak like crazy in V1 big bores. I've got some old V1 big bores that I am thinking of slapping on a worlds RC10 (although I may just put my spare V2 BB on it), and was trying to figure out what on earth I can use as an O-ring that won't have me soaking them overnight to swell up to a usable size?
Old 09-04-2015, 11:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Razathorn
So, off topic a bit, but I think you guys will have a better chance of knowing the answer / seeing the question. With the b5/m and b44.3 platforms, the v2 big bores have a smaller gland for the o-ring as we know. Additionally, AE changed the size of their red o-rings and now both the x-rings and red o-rings leak like crazy in V1 big bores. I've got some old V1 big bores that I am thinking of slapping on a worlds RC10 (although I may just put my spare V2 BB on it), and was trying to figure out what on earth I can use as an O-ring that won't have me soaking them overnight to swell up to a usable size?
Traxxass o ring kit need 2:

http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/traxxas...tra2362/p45156
Old 09-04-2015, 01:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dpcardoza
Are there any x rings that fit other than the TA ones. Heard someone say the Yokomo ones are to big
This is all I have ever used. Super smooth, last forever, and very well priced. None of these companies make their own x-rings

http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/traxxas...tra2362/p45156

(EDIT: Ninja'd by Dbowen! )
Old 09-04-2015, 02:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

I'll buy a few sets and try them out. Those are cheap!
Old 09-04-2015, 02:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson
Does anyone know if the ASC91606 V2 topshaft from the B5M lite will fit in the V2 4gear transmission case with a VTS slipper?
I thought I read somewhere a ways back that the bearings in the 3gear and V2 4gear cases are the same, but what about the top shaft?
The reason that there is V2 4 gear is the new topshaft. Should be the same.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Socket
Well said.

Akerman is very track dependent, and when you're on a surface where traction is an after thought, getting the car to square and get off the corner hard is the focus. This will also be determined by driving style, and power applied.

I liked the hard turn in the negative akerman gave me once I let weight transfer forward, it'd "plant" the car, and then I could immediately grab a hand full and have the car finish the corner WFO. We also talked about how I liked my electronics setup to allow the car to rotate more.

Wildcat drove my car, made it 1 corner and crashed. 2 more corners, crashed...said it was impossible to drive with so much steering.

When you're pushing the edge of the car, the tire, and the motor, more steering with a planted rear is very much welcome, as on a track where corner speed is low because of 180's, it allows you to get off the corner HARD.

If the track is very open and flowing, I see myself going to either zero or positive 1 akerman, or if I were a much slower racer, I could see how that setup would be very twitchy.

Personally, I'm super interested in Cav's nationals setup - it's completely off the map to what I understand (which is VERY little...).

Edit: I played around with the ghea pivot inserts and wide pivot around the time the 3 gear dropped, months before AE had anything available. I wasn't always impressed with how the car felt. Cav's setup definitely gives light to how to utilize the different rear pivot setup.
How you have your buggy setup sounds exactly what I have been trying to get mine to for the last four weekends of track time. I am curious how the ackermann is being expressed as either positive or negative, with shims being used under the ball stud I am assuming is positive ackermann and how do you get to negative? Still learning and trying to digest a ton of information, really enjoying some of the discussions in this thread the last couple of weeks.

Socket, I would love to see one of you tighter track with high bite clay setups, curious to compare to what I have going right now and how it might feel on my local track.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:27 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket
Well said.

Akerman is very track dependent, and when you're on a surface where traction is an after thought, getting the car to square and get off the corner hard is the focus. This will also be determined by driving style, and power applied.

I liked the hard turn in the negative akerman gave me once I let weight transfer forward, it'd "plant" the car, and then I could immediately grab a hand full and have the car finish the corner WFO. We also talked about how I liked my electronics setup to allow the car to rotate more.

Wildcat drove my car, made it 1 corner and crashed. 2 more corners, crashed...said it was impossible to drive with so much steering.

When you're pushing the edge of the car, the tire, and the motor, more steering with a planted rear is very much welcome, as on a track where corner speed is low because of 180's, it allows you to get off the corner HARD.

If the track is very open and flowing, I see myself going to either zero or positive 1 akerman, or if I were a much slower racer, I could see how that setup would be very twitchy.

Personally, I'm super interested in Cav's nationals setup - it's completely off the map to what I understand (which is VERY little...).

Edit: I played around with the ghea pivot inserts and wide pivot around the time the 3 gear dropped, months before AE had anything available. I wasn't always impressed with how the car felt. Cav's setup definitely gives light to how to utilize the different rear pivot setup.
Haha, I did not like your car, lol. Way too edgy for me. to each their own.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Heads up to those who tried my setup. There was a mistake on my setup sheet showing my rear inner brace using the outside camber link hole. I was using the standard hole. I don't know how it got selected incorrectly, but I noticed it today making minor changes to my sheet.

EDIT: New setup attached with correction. I also went back to -2mm+3mm on the rear brace due to finding a tire that really worked well when the track was loose. The car was too stuck when I wanted it to rotate at that point, so I raised the rear RC a little and got the best feel across the tires I have to run as the track changes. It's really nuts when the track gets a moist groove at night and we can throw on electrons, especially when running blockades earlier because it was loamy. We have very dynamic traction depending on the moisture and sun when running outside.
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-rc10b5mfl_wayne_20150904.jpg  

Last edited by Razathorn; 09-04-2015 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Attached new setup
Old 09-05-2015, 06:58 AM
Tech Regular

Fasttrak, I am using positive ackerman as the inside tire turns in hard wile the outside goes straight and Anti-ackerman or negative as the outside wheel turning while the inside goes straight. ( I actually thought this was never done, until I read full size F1 use it to control tire wear.)
I got this theory from researching full size car ackerman settings online. I don't know if it's the "r/c" method as Socket seems opposite.

To understand the B5M turn the wheels slow and watch them. I think the steering rack geometry adds very little ackerman near center (or negative with 2mm shims) and then adds a ton at the end near full lock. It's not linear. I'm calling neutral as the inside turning slightly more than the outside to match the projected path when drawing two different circles on paper.
I will NOT even talk about calculating slip angle drag of an r/c tire on dirt. That should be left to NASA.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

wildcat... socket... Whats good in AZ
Old 09-05-2015, 07:48 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skeeter36
wildcat... socket... Whats good in AZ
whats is good? clarify, lol
Old 09-06-2015, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
whats is good? clarify, lol
Massive back end traction with pin-point steering everywhere Pretty much what we're all striving for.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anyone know that waterfall fits the low profile lightweight shorty packs. Mine has a big gap and I am afraid it will move around.

If it was one with a fan mount it would be even better.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by neu2this
Anyone know that waterfall fits the low profile lightweight shorty packs. Mine has a big gap and I am afraid it will move around.

If it was one with a fan mount it would be even better.
Search b5m waterfall on shapeways and look for the one with the adjustment screw where the strap goes in
Can't recall the company name

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.