R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 08-24-2015, 07:37 PM   #15256
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFuel11 View Post
I prefer the 1.4x3 all the way around. I can run a little lighter oil in the car if I am looking for more overall grip.

The 1.4x3 will have less overall dampening at low speed compression (Bumps and cornering) due more total surface area for the oil to pass through over the 1.6x2 hole design. However the 1.4x3 will pack up faster due to the smaller holes under high speed dampening (Landing).

This allows my car to ride better on bumpy track and run half weight lower shock oil on the car for more overall grip without chassis slapping off the jumps.

This is at least my findings with the difference between these two pistons.

Another factor to keep in mind is what pistons are you running... A 1.4x3 hole pistion from AE is a totally different piston and shock feel then one from say Schelle due to they way they fit the shock body! With the Schelle I run the half weight lower shock oil compared to the AE pistons... Just FYI

Good Luck.
Good point about different brands of pistons. Definitely wouldn't want to mix and match those. I stick with ASC pistons since I usually try to copy the setups the factory guys post and I assume they usually use ASC unless notated otherwise.
mgers75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:42 PM   #15257
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgers75 View Post
Nope no problems driving semi-fast and consistent. Ive seen that video of Wildcat driving at SRS and I'm pretty sure i'd lap him twice in a 6 min main haha (jk wildcat).......Perhaps the problem is I've never really tried changing pistons at track to do back-to-back comparisons because I hate messing with those e-clips and having to take the shock eyelet off to get to the piston and reseting the shock lengths. Would be a good reason to get the new shock shafts perhaps.

But what exactly do people like better about the 3 x 1.4 pistons. Do they have more pack and jump better but with the smaller holes still give the traction of a bigger piston? Sorry if i sound like an imbecile, but I'm not the best set up person around and usually just copy a pro setup adjust based on the local conditions. I've ran 1.6s all around; 1.6s back/1.4's front; 1.4 all around; 1.4's back and the lap times and car feel is pretty much the same. Currently i'm sticking with 1.6's f/r. Hoping to stir up some setup discussion in here!
I was running the 1.6s for a while and liked them. I tried the 1.4s and they seemed to add a little more steering. The 1.4s were not magical by any means. I do wish AE would sell them in packs of 2 though. I think schelle is selling them in 2 packs.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:45 PM   #15258
Tech Adept

Default Machined Pistons price gouging

Speaking of shock pistons...Can somebody please come out with a machined piston that doesn't cost so much. Why do tiny pieces of plastic cost the same as fancy machined/anodized parts? If I was to go into RC business I'd probably do an RC generic line like a supermarket and make cheaper machined pistons, x-ring, green slime, etc. Basically all the crap that manufactures price gouge.
mgers75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #15259
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
I was running the 1.6s for a while and liked them. I tried the 1.4s and they seemed to add a little more steering. The 1.4s were not magical by any means. I do wish AE would sell them in packs of 2 though. I think schelle is selling them in 2 packs.
I picked up several different packs of Schelle V1 tapered pistons and they were all 4 pistons to a pack. Honestly, I would of said the same when placing the order but have since gone to balanced piston setup and happier than mixing and matching, just playing with the oil and spring sets to understand the range of effect for each. It is pretty slow and tedious to do a complete replacement of oil and piston, though each time I do it I shave some minutes off the rebuild.

I would say the best thing mod yet was getting rid of the red silicone o-rings in favor of clear silicone x-rings, much smoother and so far not a drop has leaked out of the shocks and I am still in the abusing stage of learning.
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:51 PM   #15260
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgers75 View Post
Speaking of shock pistons...Can somebody please come out with a machined piston that doesn't cost so much. Why do tiny pieces of plastic cost the same as fancy machined/anodized parts? If I was to go into RC business I'd probably do an RC generic line like a supermarket and make cheaper machined pistons, x-ring, green slime, etc. Basically all the crap that manufactures price gouge.
It's fairly easy to call it price gouging when you have no idea what it costs to produce. It's not like companies such as AE and Schelle pay .50 per piston and then think....if I put the word machined in the description I can sell them for $14.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #15261
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
It's fairly easy to call it price gouging when you have no idea what it costs to produce. It's not like companies such as AE and Schelle pay .50 per piston and then think....if I put the word machined in the description I can sell them for $14.

+2

I have seen some very good companies go under over the last thirty years due to bad business models. It all comes down to the cost to develop, mfg and the amount of units you can possibly sell to make a profit. Very few of these companies are raking in the cash, they get by, some better than others. It is made even more difficult with the number of mfg, the differences in each that require numerous part numbers and pretty soon, it is not easy to carve a niche for yourself and sustain profitability.
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:26 PM   #15262

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Try working for a company with slim profit margins. It sucks.

Probably should stop this here and get back onto the B5M discussion....
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:29 PM   #15263
Tech Regular

Quote:
I completely disagree actually, thats exactly why they call it machined. They are in business to make money (among other things) your telling me the replacement B5M foams they sell for about $10 cost anymore than .05 cents to make...please!

Dont get me started on the cost of 'x' rings...

"The person saying it cannot be done should stop interrupting the person doing it"
Nat Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:33 PM   #15264
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Maniac View Post
I completely disagree actually, thats exactly why they call it machined. They are in business to make money (among other things) your telling me the replacement B5M foams they sell for about $10 cost anymore than .05 cents to make...please!

Dont get me started on the cost of 'x' rings...
It's because its a machined delrin piston. We don't need to get started on this. Do you know how much it costs them to make? My point was unless you know how much it costs to make you don't get to call it price gouging.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Old 08-24-2015, 08:51 PM   #15265
Tech Regular

Quote:
It's because its a machined delrin piston. We don't need to get started on this. Do you know how much it costs them to make? My point was unless you know how much it costs to make you don't get to call it price gouging.
I have no idea, it depends on how many they order, but given the conglomerate that is Thunder Tiger I suspect they have some pretty sweet arrangements at their factories in China. In respect to the term 'price gouging' if people are willing to pay the offered price for a non essential item then its a moot-point really, all im saying is that I believe the margin on these items is pretty significant and marketing has a massive role in selling these items.

"The person saying it cannot be done should stop interrupting the person doing it"
Nat Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:57 PM   #15266
Super Moderator

Quote:
the margin on these items is pretty significant
Nothing in R/C has a "pretty significant" margin. Back to the B5m...

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Old 08-24-2015, 09:02 PM   #15267
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
I have no idea, it depends on how many they order, but given the conglomerate that is Thunder Tiger I suspect they have some pretty sweet arrangements at their factories in China. In respect to the term 'price gouging' if people are willing to pay the offered price for a non essential item then its a moot-point really, all im saying is that I believe the margin on these items is pretty significant and marketing has a massive role in selling these items.
Everyone always assume every company is making money hand over fist. AE does pretty good I am sure. But I dont think they are making millionaires of the employee. I bet the margins on kits are pretty small and much larger on parts. I hope they are making tons of cash, that just means they will be around and RC lives on. Who goes into business to lose money or break even? The pistons cost less than tires and last 20 times as long. It is all perspective. I take my wife and 2 kids out to dinner and that is like $50. Then, I end up just crapping that out the next day. Biggest waste of money in my life is eating, not RC.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:18 PM   #15268
Super Moderator

Quote:
Who goes into business to lose money or break even?
Hobby shop owners....that's who.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Old 08-24-2015, 10:37 PM   #15269
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 483 (100%+)

Quote:
Hobby shop owners....that's who.
Being involved [personally] with running a track I can tell you there's no money in it at all. You do it because you love to do it. Its hard to make money at it. If you have shop attached to your track you could eke out a living but you better have something else going on the side too. If you consider how many times the goods change hands you'd realize that for the manufacturer, distributor, and then retailer to make money stuff needs to be marked up. Unfortunately nobody has the distribution and marketing channels to sell direct. In the case of machined shock pistons....the materials and labor are more than you would think. Delrin is expensive and machine time is too. Its not like the manufacturer has a CNC that runs day and night.....they pay somebody to do the pistons. People imagine that the manufacturers have these enormous million square foot factories but that's not the case at all. Most of this stuff is made in very modest facilities and most of the parts are made by vendors.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:05 AM   #15270
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
I take my wife and 2 kids out to dinner and that is like $50.
You can do that in Arizona? Gotta move down there...
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote