R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #6256
CnR
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I know this is me being lazy but can someone upload a setup sheet with the latest standard setup. I keep hearing using different arms and such. It would be greatly appreciated. In the mean time I will try and dig through the thread and get one filled out. I am an engineer I don't like to read just see pictures. ;-)
Old 08-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #6257
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 133 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
yeah, its 4mm. Really wish someone made a 5mm version.
It doesn't make much sense since all of their other 90c packs have the 5mm bullets.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #6258
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
It doesn't make much sense since all of their other 90c packs have the 5mm bullets.
yeah, I converted my stuff to 5mm. No biggie to go back, just like all my packs to use the same bullets
Old 08-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #6259
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
yeah, I converted my stuff to 5mm. No biggie to go back, just like all my packs to use the same bullets
I know what you mean. When I had my short course truck I used full sized packs with 5mm bullets. Was not a big deal as I just wired up a new change harness with a 5mm bullet. But it got tedious switching back and forth from 4mm harness to 5mm harness then back again.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #6260
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i have a couple more questions. roll center, what is it and what is the purpose? if i change the trailing arms inserts what will it do to the car? and what will rear toe do to the car?
PHILIPPIANS 4:13
bbrace3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #6261
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 222 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrace3m View Post
i have a couple more questions. roll center, what is it and what is the purpose? if i change the trailing arms inserts what will it do to the car? and what will rear toe do to the car?
I even printed this for you last time we raced. Everything you need to know is here

http://www.competitionx.com/rc-racing/rc-tuning-guide/
Manatarms25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #6262
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatarms25 View Post
I even printed this for you last time we raced. Everything you need to know is here

http://www.competitionx.com/rc-racing/rc-tuning-guide/
You should have read it to him and showed pictures
Old 08-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #6263
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFKAOG View Post
You should have read it to him and showed pictures
+1 hehe..
Old 08-13-2014, 07:48 AM   #6264
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Its called not being able to find it in my stack of college books. Lol. I got it now though. I'm gonna do a base set up from a sheet on AE website and go from there.
PHILIPPIANS 4:13
bbrace3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:54 AM   #6265
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrace3m View Post
Some tools that have I used (and still use) to learn and apply the effects of Roll Center:

http://thecartech.com/subjects/auto_...oll_Center.htm

The above link does a good job of explaining the geometry and calculation of Roll Center in very basic terms with diagrams.

Now, if you want to further that knowledge as it applies to your specific chassis, check out RC Crew Chief:

http://www.rccrewchief.wrightdesign.ca/Index.aspx

RC Crew Chief is a software tool used to model the chassis's suspension system. Once your model is in the software, you're able to make virtual changes to your suspension to see what those changes affect in terms of performance (push, loose, chassis roll sensitivity, etc.). You can see "where" the front and rear Roll Centers are. If you have a slight push, off power, you can make a virtual change in the software (change a camber link position, for example) to pre-determine the physical change you actually make on your car to overcome that push.

Another benefit includes choosing a good front to rear spring combination. In addition to Roll Center, "Ride Frequency" is another quality found in sprung suspension systems. Take the guess work out of what front springs will work well with the chosen rears. Take the guess work out of the "fine-tuning" of the springs by moving the shock mounting positions on the towers and suspension arms.

Anti Roll Bars are included in the calculations. See what changing the ARB will do before actually changing it.

Very powerful software. I've been using it on both my 1/8 Tekno eBuggy and the AE B5 with impressive results over the past 9 months. Beats the "seat of the pants" method of figuring out what changes we need to make on these complicated racing chassis's.

Feel free to PM me with any questions on the use of this software. While not overly difficult, there is a learning curve in both measuring your car (to get the information into the software) as well as knowing what you're looking for and how to go about setting your car up.

Jim
President of SCR (just outside New Orleans) - https://www.facebook.com/scr.raceway
vwduud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #6266
Tech Rookie

This is great! It applies to both on and off-road setups. I'm going to try and build my B5 tomorrow (no guarantees), I'll post some photos.
Buggy Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #6267
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

For the past few months I have been running the mid motor, with very mixed results. Ran my friends rear motor a few nights ago and liked it much better. Am I the only one going from mid to rear? Seems like its the other way around.
BRSracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #6268
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRSracing View Post
For the past few months I have been running the mid motor, with very mixed results. Ran my friends rear motor a few nights ago and liked it much better. Am I the only one going from mid to rear? Seems like its the other way around.
I get mixed results also. I have the conversion, so I can go back to RM fairly easily. I am giving the MM a little more time. It drives well, but my consistency when I really need it, falls short. I am still learning how to push the car and keep it from stepping out. The RM much more planted in the rear and provided more confidence. I am hoping the MM is just a learning curve.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #6269
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 209 (99%+)

Anyone running the brass front bulkhead? Just got mine in today, hoping it will help the car turn a little better on power.
hlpressley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #6270
Tech Prophet

Well it will keep the front down acceleration