Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Driving differences between 2WD and 4WD? >

Driving differences between 2WD and 4WD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving differences between 2WD and 4WD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Tech Adept

Default Driving differences between 2WD and 4WD?

I've been driving 2WD trucks and buggies for a while now, and picked up a 4WD SCT, partially because I wanted to race it, but mostly because it was on sale. When I drive it, it slides around quite a bit, and feels like it's just a heavy brick plowing into corners, and until now, I just assumed I had a bad setup, or that was how it was supposed to feel. Then, I let a skilled 4WD driver drive it, looking for setup suggestions, and he said it felt good. When he drove it, the thing stuck to the track and looked smooth and controlled. As soon as I picked up the transmitter, it started sliding around again. So, it's probably my driving.

I'm used to driving stock 2WD buggies and short course trucks, and this is a 4WD modified short course truck. What do you do differently when driving 4WDs? When do you brake, and when do you give it throttle? How do you approach corners? (Specifically, compared to driving 2WD)
Old 12-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

with a 4wd, you normally try to not use the brakes as much and stay on the throttle, even if it is just a touch as much as possible, the front will pull you through...same thing if you start to spin, punch it and the power to the front wheels should straighten you out. I went though the same learning curve when I got an AE B44.2 buggy
Old 12-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The best way to transition from 2wd to 4wd is drive angry and give it lots of gas. If its pointed in the right direction, give 'er, the back won't step out like a 2wd, if you start drifting it a bit, steer the right way and give 'er, and don't be afraid of pitching it into the turns. You probably won't find yourself using much if any breaks, just the drivetrain drag will be enough, and always be on the gas a little bit except on entry, if its not turning on exit, give it a bit of gas. That's the easiest way of describing it. Drive angry.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have center-one-way on my ZX-5, it rolls into corners off-throttle just like a 2wd

4wd calls for less finesse, you can be on throttle/brake even when the wheels aren't pointing forward. Strange that I just don't understand the fun.

Think road rage.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Bracket, what 4wd sct did you get? just wondering
Old 12-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

You still have to finess the car a bit. If you drive it like your 2wd you will find you can get away with more. You can get on throttle more and brake harder. Jumping is a bit different. All the fast guys in 4wd are very smooth.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Slow in , fast out . The 4x4 pushs a bit more , so your turn in mark is more important in my opinion. But , once you turn in , all the corrections come from the throttle , and you should be trying to get back on the throttle sooner. Thats a good way to take advantage of all that 4wd grip.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

When I had my Kyosho Zx5 I noticed that it was more of a point and shoot driving style with little to no brake, and could power through turns without letting up on the gas much. They will go where you tell them too without having to really drive them a lot, unlike 2 wheel drive. Its hard to put into words, you just have to try it.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

You can drive a well setup 4wd buggy like a train on rails, 4wd sct has to always be driven like a dumptruck on acid
Old 12-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Very good tips. Thx all.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vw addict
You can drive a well setup 4wd buggy like a train on rails, 4wd sct has to always be driven like a dumptruck on acid
Dude , Im stealing "dumptruck on acid"....
Old 12-17-2013, 08:24 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Bracket
I've been driving 2WD trucks and buggies for a while now, and picked up a 4WD SCT, partially because I wanted to race it, but mostly because it was on sale. When I drive it, it slides around quite a bit, and feels like it's just a heavy brick plowing into corners, and until now, I just assumed I had a bad setup, or that was how it was supposed to feel. Then, I let a skilled 4WD driver drive it, looking for setup suggestions, and he said it felt good. When he drove it, the thing stuck to the track and looked smooth and controlled. As soon as I picked up the transmitter, it started sliding around again. So, it's probably my driving.

I'm used to driving stock 2WD buggies and short course trucks, and this is a 4WD modified short course truck. What do you do differently when driving 4WDs? When do you brake, and when do you give it throttle? How do you approach corners? (Specifically, compared to driving 2WD)
I think the main difference you're feeling isn't so much 2wd vs 4wd but more like stock vs mod. You gotta be more disciplined with your throttle finger whenever you're running a mod motor in any car. Try a mod motor in your 2wd - see if all of a sudden it's out of control. If so you're too trigger happy
Old 12-17-2013, 08:48 AM
Tech Adept

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The best way to transition from 2wd to 4wd is drive angry.
May I quote you on that?
awesome!
Old 12-17-2013, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

biggest difference is that 4wd don't steer when the brakes are on, unless you chuck it sideways.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UK.hardcore
biggest difference is that 4wd don't steer when the brakes are on, unless you chuck it sideways.
Unless you have a xx4 or new 22-4 with the clicker setup on. Then you brake like a 2wd.

Mind: blown

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.