1/10 buggy Question, Serpent Spyder Vs. Durango Dex210

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/10 buggy Question, Serpent Spyder Vs. Durango Dex210

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

That's what i was getting, dex -> serpent, almost like a fad, whats next? haha.

Anyways, my plan went out the window so i may well end up building a kit
Old 12-13-2013, 09:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iclrag
That's what i was getting, dex -> serpent, almost like a fad, whats next? haha.

Anyways, my plan went out the window so i may well end up building a kit
Serpent is anything but a fad.

I have driven everything except a dex210 as nobody runs them in florida. 22 1.0 & 2.0, b4.2, rb5 sp2 wc and rb6. My serpent is the best all around car for ME. I put emphasis on the me part because everybody is different.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

If you want a reliable existing platform, go AE. They're obviously the biggest, most successful name out there.

Look at the features. Although I switched, I don't feel that the Durango is a bad car. Bad cars don't make world events, even if they don't win it. Decide what you want out of this. Parts support or local expertise? Check your local track. New features and ideas? Then, think about Serpent.

If you do go with Serpent, you'll need some tools that you may not already have:
5mm Nut Driver:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Nut-Driver-5mm

4.5 mm Nut Driver

Not required but nice to have:
Serpent Ball Cup Tool:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Ball-Cup-Tool

3mm Turnbuckle wrench: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...nbuckle-Wrench
Old 12-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

I've got a fairly large assortment of tools (i was doing heavy equipment mechanics and worked on a lot of small electronic parts as well) so i think i'm covered on that end. It was more of a "what if they stop producing" kind of a question, they have a monopoly on their stuff. I think i may got AE as all the local places have AE, but no real useful parts support unless i go all the way to tames
Old 12-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I got a 210 for a couple of reasons. One was that it could go from rear to mid motor and in either 3 gear or 4 gear mode for both. It is actually a very good car in both modes so the excuse that a convertible car is a compromise is a myth. The standard 210 body is also quite nice looking. The 210 was also priced very cheaply for a while which made it highly attractive. I am a tinkerer so a car that has tons of options is appealing.

If I were going to buy a dedicated rear motor car it would be a B4. They are common and easy to work on. It is also the car that everyone else copies in geometry. The Serpent being nothing special in that regard. If I wanted a dedicated mid motor car I'd go with a Team C TM2 since I dislike 4 gear mid motor setups.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by fredswain
I got a 210 for a couple of reasons. One was that it could go from rear to mid motor and in either 3 gear or 4 gear mode for both. It is actually a very good car in both modes so the excuse that a convertible car is a compromise is a myth. The standard 210 body is also quite nice looking. The 210 was also priced very cheaply for a while which made it highly attractive. I am a tinkerer so a car that has tons of options is appealing.

If I were going to buy a dedicated rear motor car it would be a B4. They are common and easy to work on. It is also the car that everyone else copies in geometry. The Serpent being nothing special in that regard. If I wanted a dedicated mid motor car I'd go with a Team C TM2 since I dislike 4 gear mid motor setups.
I'm a tinkerer as well, but most of my tinkering is on a motorcycle, so now that i'm on R/C I don't want to push it, i saw a Dex210 RTR for $200 somewhere recently, seemed really cheap for a RTR
Old 12-15-2013, 11:33 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

I'm a tinkerer as well, but most of my tinkering is on a motorcycle, so now that i'm on R/C I don't want to push it, i saw a Dex210 RTR for $200 somewhere recently, seemed really cheap for a RTR
Red or Blue ?
Old 12-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by flame56mx
Red or Blue ?
Neither, it had a clear body i think. Either way, not a fan of those bodies. How does the DEX RTR stack up with the AE RTR? it seems the AE is faster, but the DEX is a better, more competitive chassis in the long-run.

It seems like every time i start getting near the DEX210 i end up going back to the serpent spyder, and i've heard bad things about the DEX RTR motor and ESC. Kind of a hard decision! i feel DEX / Spyder are competitive, but if i get a RTR DEX, don't it be worse than the RTR AE for $50 more?
Old 12-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Neither, it had a clear body i think. Either way, not a fan of those bodies. How does the DEX RTR stack up with the AE RTR? it seems the AE is faster, but the DEX is a better, more competitive chassis in the long-run.

It seems like every time i start getting near the DEX210 i end up going back to the serpent spyder, and i've heard bad things about the DEX RTR motor and ESC. Kind of a hard decision! i feel DEX / Spyder are competitive, but if i get a RTR DEX, don't it be worse than the RTR AE for $50 more?
The dex rtr is on another level compared to the ae rtr. The ae rtr does not have the nice parts the b4.2 kit has, like big bores or even a +8 chassis. It's more like the b4 when it first came out. The dex rtr is a much more race worthy car than the b4 rtr.

Also, there is no rtr dex that doesn't have the ugly body. The ugly bodies are the only ones that fit the rtr version.

With that said, if you really want the serpent, get that. All of the top tier cars are good enough to win with, so it really comes down to which one you want the most. Plus, nothing is worse then spending $50 less on a car you don't want as much only to turn around and buy the one you really wanted in the first place.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

If a good looking body is what is important than there really only are two cars out there to choose from. The B4 rtr or the standard 210 kit. Everything else is cab forward ugliness.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Tech Adept

one thing to keep in mind is that the dex210v2 is sheduled to come out very soon. If you look at prototype pictures from the worlds it looks like they fixed some key problems. The current dex210 is older than the serpent so it is in need of some upgrades to be competative. I got the durango because it was only 140$ and offer both mm and rm. i race it and it beats peoples brand new 22 2.0's
Old 12-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Older does not mean less competitive. Everyone is driving a suspension geometry figured out in 1991. There isn't a buggy produced in the past 20 years that isn't still competitive.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

B4.2...can't go wrong.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fredswain
Older does not mean less competitive. Everyone is driving a suspension geometry figured out in 1991. There isn't a buggy produced in the past 20 years that isn't still competitive.
Truth spoken here, and he gave it to you for free.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Davidka
Truth spoken here, and he gave it to you for free.
Yep, i'm thinking i'll go for the B4.2 for now, comes RTR W/ Brushless, plus i can get factory team upgrades or STRC stuff for it, i like the huge after-market. Once i get competitive (if i ever do) i'll get a Serpent Spyder to run the mod class (if they get a bigger after market in the future, i like options. I think that sounds like a good plan, leaves me with a Stock class B4.2 and a mod class Spyder as well as my rusty basher / stock class.

And thank you everyone for your responses, i think i got caught in some of the DEX210 hype and once i sat down and really compared them, the spyder sounds better for me, though that opinion may change as i drive more and hopefully compare the two with my own experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.