Wiki Posts
Search

battery/esc question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default battery/esc question

I bought a brushless truck from somebody and when I plugged the 2 2s lipos in series up to the esc, sparks shot from the deans connectors and the esc. I quickly unplugged them then later tried again, when I did it again same thing happened and it melted the deans connector on both sides. After that I got to testing voltages and both would read the fully charged voltage but after one was plugged up, the car would slighty move foward then nothing. I tested that battery and no voltage at all.I could plug the other one in and the car would run. Long story short that one battery is toast. Im wondering if yall think it was the battery to begin with or the sparks from when I plugged it in shorted the battery and it might be the esc causing it. I would hate to short out another battery if its just going to keep doing it because the esc is at fault. Also when I plugged it up the wires got really hot fast and there was a burning smell from the esc but no smoke. Thanks
Old 12-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tman48
I bought a brushless truck from somebody and when I plugged the 2 2s lipos in series up to the esc, sparks shot from the deans connectors and the esc. I quickly unplugged them then later tried again, when I did it again same thing happened and it melted the deans connector on both sides. After that I got to testing voltages and both would read the fully charged voltage but after one was plugged up, the car would slighty move foward then nothing. I tested that battery and no voltage at all.I could plug the other one in and the car would run. Long story short that one battery is toast. Im wondering if yall think it was the battery to begin with or the sparks from when I plugged it in shorted the battery and it might be the esc causing it. I would hate to short out another battery if its just going to keep doing it because the esc is at fault. Also when I plugged it up the wires got really hot fast and there was a burning smell from the esc but no smoke. Thanks
That sounds very strange to me, I'd say the battery has an internal short but it's hard to tell, it sounds like you don't have a huge amount of experience with RC, so I would maybe ask a friend to take a look at it or take it to your local hobby shop or track and maybe ask someone for help, better to ask then burn your new gear up and cost you more $$$, you'll find that most RC enthusiasts will be happy to lend a hand.

Cheers Justin
Old 12-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks for the help. Ive had an erevo brushless before but bought the batteries new so I know there was nothing wrong with them. These batteries came with the truck used. I plugged them in one at a time because I thought it might have been a problem with the wiring in series. When I plugged one in it would turn on and run. The other one would be full voltage for a 2s battery but would drop to nothing as soon as I turned the esc on. I ordered a 4s battery too replace the 2 2s batties. Im assuming it was that one battery just wanted some opionions. The LHS might be an option if the closest one wasent 1.5 hours away. Just bashing around on my motocross track and around the house.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Sometimes high voltage setups like 4s and up will arc when you connect the battery. May just be that?