Wiki Posts
Search

Stadium truck foams???

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 05:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Stadium truck foams???

Setting my TLR 22T up for indoor racing at a new track opening up. I was wondering what type of foams is the best setup for a stadium truck in general. I know many use open cell/front closed cell/rear for buggy setups, would the same hold true for Stadium? Track is expected to be med/high bite 100' x 60' with good speeds on the outsides and technical inside.

I am setting up a few varieties of tires. First set came in today and want to get them glued up. I got some JConcepts Bar codes and have the choice of the white open that come with them or some AKA red closed that I have also. I also have some Losi taper pins coming.

TIA
Old 11-13-2013, 07:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

AKA foams are the best. For high bite with high speeds you will probably want to go with closed cell around the truck.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Tech Prophet

Yea i would go with closed inserts since there firmer and dont break down so fast like foams in the ST tires. AKA are the best choice than the Proline Blue ones im intrested in trying them closed inserts on these trucks.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i prefer closed cell rear over open cell rear any day!
i am yet to try closed cell front though.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 101 (99%+)
Default Foams

I have tried every combo available in both stock & modified stadium truck. I found closed cell in the rear tires, open cell (white, die cut) foams for the front tires work best for max steering & overall control.

As for the brand of foams, Pro Line gave me the best "out of the bag" traction.. Meaning they did not need much "break-in" time to feel good. The trade off was they did not last as long as I would have liked.

I re-bought tires/foams & found the AKA closed cell foams took a little more break in time, but they last longer & feel more consistent.

Race on!
Old 11-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thanks for the insights. I went ahead and mounted up my Bar Codes with AKA Red in the rear and white open in the front with a bevel cut. Are any of you familiar with the quality of the Losi yellow foams? I have more JConcept whites left which I could use. My taper pins came in today.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:22 PM
Tech Addict

well the guys are our track are using a street type tire with a closed cell foam in both the front and rear. They started out by brake cleaning them, and then using some 80 grit sand paper and taking a slit bit off of them just a hair, then brake cleaning them again. Applying sticky fingers traction compound once running them. Brake cleaning them again applying it once more and running again. Again brake cleaning them after words they should have plenty of traction. IN THE GROOVE, apply as needed, we have enough traction that they are just brake cleaning them. Dont use brake clean that uses a greasy residue, that will not work, also depends on what kind of traction you have you may need a different tire or something.