Wiki Posts
Search

soft lipo in 1/8 scale safe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default soft lipo in 1/8 scale safe?

is it a bad idea to run a soft pack in an 1/8 scale or should I stick to hard case only? seems the hard case batteries are often $15+ more.

what's the recommended min MAH and C rating
Old 11-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've been running escale since the early days, 5-6 years ago. Only this year I've been using hardcase lipos, as I attended the escale nats and was forced into ROAR's silly rules. Never had issues running softcase lipos. Just make sure they are secured well, several Velcro straps holding in the lipo, and Velcro-ing the lipo directly into the tray is usually a good idea so it can't shift around in the tray.

35C minimum, and mAh depends on what motor you're using, how many cells, how big the track is, and how long the mains are. Proven combos are:

1900-2050 on 4S, 5000-5600, 10+ min runs easy.
1400, 6S, 3300, 10+ min easy

And anyway, you're running 1/8th scale and worried about $15 difference in batteries???!!!!??? Really???? This ain't a budget class by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Tech Regular

I've never had a hard case for any of my 1/8 scale cars. Did airplanes for several years and smashed a few lipo batteries and never had a fire. Not saying anything can't happen but it's unlikely.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
And anyway, you're running 1/8th scale and worried about $15 difference in batteries???!!!!??? Really???? This ain't a budget class by any stretch of the imagination.
+1

Originally Posted by ALLERACER
I've never had a hard case for any of my 1/8 scale cars. Did airplanes for several years and smashed a few lipo batteries and never had a fire. Not saying anything can't happen but it's unlikely.
Not a good comparison.
What are you running into with an airplane?
Other than landings, you crash an airplane and you're generally buying a new plane, RC cars we're crashing them landing every jump 10 times a lap.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mtpocketsracing
is it a bad idea to run a soft pack in an 1/8 scale or should I stick to hard case only? seems the hard case batteries are often $15+ more.

yes, it's a bad idea.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BNaylor
+1

Not a good comparison.
What are you running into with an airplane?
Other than landings, you crash an airplane and you're generally buying a new plane, RC cars we're crashing them landing every jump 10 times a lap.
I take it you aren't a plane guy? Airplane crashes have little to no protection for the lipo.

Puncturing them is where you can start to have issues, or crunching them so it crosses poles and dead shorts.

In 1/8th battery trays they have MUCH more protection than planes do.

why risk melting a $1k 1/8th scale into useless goo over $15? buy the hardcase.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtpocketsracing

It will work fine until it does not. If you are seeing a $15+ premium then that is a small price to pay for something with a little more impact tolerance.

As far as MAH and C rating, it really depends on what you are trying to feed and how long you plan to run on a pack. As a rule though get as much as you can in there.

A higher C rating will deliver power better, less spikes and dips, and will often have a feeling of more punch.

A higher MAH rating will give you a longer run time on the pack.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:07 PM
Suspended

well actually there are a lot of softcase batteries going for $56 and the hard case of the same rating is $89 and there's a ton more available. all the sites I have found that sell a reasonably priced batteries (no not turnigy garbage) are always out of stock of the hard case one. but they always have the soft case in stock.

I am not going to be very competitive anyway. I'm new, on a budget and just really looking for something to do in the winter. when summer gets here I'll be doing track riding on my motorcycle. I put the cars away last march and I just got them back out about 2 weeks ago. so yeah, it's not my interest to spend the big $ on the BEST stuff.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Tech Regular

I knew the safety Nazi's would chime in.
A lipo fire starts when the terminals short out. That can happen on hard case also. Lipo batteries dont explode or catch fire when punctured.
I'd say if a Electric F1 pylon plane noses in above 180mph the batteries were "damaged"?

There are several thousand bashers out there that never laid eyes on a hard case lipo battery.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Suspended

A lipo fire starts when the terminals short out.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've been running a 6s 3000 mah Nano-tech soft pack in my e-buggy for 2 years with no problem.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F1Yankee
yes, it's a bad idea.
I've raced 1/8 scale e-truggy for 4 years and a converted erevo before that all soft case lipos. NEVER a single issue, just stay away from flying screw drivers and keep your body on your vehicle and you'll never have a problem. As noted above 2-3 typical Velcro system works great securing them. I've raced ebuggy almost as long and until a year ago I ran soft packs in it as well.. no issues.

BTW I RUN 6s SOFT packs..
Old 11-12-2013, 07:23 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by lbenton
It will work fine until it does not.
+1
Old 11-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Tech Regular

i use the zippy 4s 5000mah 40c SOFT case, and they are awesome. (i have them for about a year)
Old 11-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Tech Adept

A lipo fire starts when the terminals short out. That can happen on hard case also. Lipo batteries dont explode or catch fire when punctured.
I'd say if a Electric F1 pylon plane noses in above 180mph the batteries were "damaged"?
dude, you should really stop spreading bogus info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.