R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
Tech Legend

Is the Hobby Wing V3 same as the Orion R10 ?
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would say no . From the websites , the cases are different , the output specs are different , the Bec is different , the dimensions are different . Thats enough there to disqualify it from being the "same". However , I would have no problems thinking a company like Orion wouldnt contract a larger manufacturer like HW to build esc's to their specs. But , the "same". no.... What do you think ?

Don't forget ... Have fun , talk sh*$ with your buddies, and have fun.

I race so I can have people flip my car over ....
wittyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Because 2wd classes are dieing an awful death in many areas. I've got 2 big paper weights myself.
-
It's wise to invest in an ESC you can move into bigger cars, or use in your outdoor season 4wd's. Besides, there's plenty of room on a 2wd chassis anyways.
There's certainly no accounting for taste. Nevertheless, many people are buying the 120a senselessly for buggy use. Why?
Old 11-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Hey Fred,

I think the reason why people, including myself, buy the higher end or higher rated ESCs is to allow flexibility and transfer. Rather than spending another $60 - $80 on a stock specific ESC, its much cheaper to just just transfer to the esc to another chassis.

For RC TShirts and Custom Sponsor Shirts & Hoodies, Please Visit www.veytrex.com
VexVegaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

^Now that is a logical reason!
Old 11-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyname View Post
I would say no . From the websites , the cases are different , the output specs are different , the Bec is different , the dimensions are different . Thats enough there to disqualify it from being the "same". However , I would have no problems thinking a company like Orion wouldnt contract a larger manufacturer like HW to build esc's to their specs. But , the "same". no.... What do you think ?
I'm not sure reason I was asking ...

Hoping maybe someone has run both and can compare performance wise.

Would the ESC program box's work for either company ?
Old 11-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #22
Tech Master

I have not owned an orion , and my HobbyWing stufff is all sct pro . Dont know how they compare in regards to "feel".

Old 11-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Pics or it didnt happen ...
well If I could track down where my old HW is in the trash dump, I would prove it to you.

I had this HW below (and it died, I believe it was due to a motor going bad, but can't be positive as I never tested either of them after. For $50 shipped, for the motor and ESC, it was a consumable as far as I'm concerned.)

But I liked it sooo much that I replaced it with this one.

And I can tell you without a shadow of doubt in my mind, they are IDENTICAL. (Yes, the SAME)

I've had these exact two ESC's, in my hand, in my cars, hooked up to the same programmer, even had the case off of both of them, both had the same board with the same HW ID and version number....(although I didn't get into checking serial numbers of fets and crap like that...) from MY experiences, they are indeed the same damn thing.

and honestly, taking any of those specs of any of those websites as gospel, is a mistake IMO. I've bought several things that when in my hand, didn't exactly match what was stated on those websites. Or the included MFG's specs didn't match what was posted on the website. But for $35, I'm ok with that.

And BTW, using your logic....You say they are different....PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

To each their own....
turbo2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #24
Tech Master

well , the fans are different , and the switches are different. The hobby wing fan case in your photo there is completely square and it has a 2 wire switch. The Hobbyking in your photo has a different fan case and a 3 wire switch. The HobbyWing weighs 20 grams more and has a higher power rating . So , yeah , NOT the SAME . Similar , but not the same....

Last edited by wittyname; 11-11-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #25
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2cam View Post
well If I could track down where my old HW is in the trash dump, I would prove it to you.

I had this HW below (and it died, I believe it was due to a motor going bad, but can't be positive as I never tested either of them after. For $50 shipped, for the motor and ESC, it was a consumable as far as I'm concerned.)

But I liked it sooo much that I replaced it with this one.

And I can tell you without a shadow of doubt in my mind, they are IDENTICAL. (Yes, the SAME)

I've had these exact two ESC's, in my hand, in my cars, hooked up to the same programmer, even had the case off of both of them, both had the same board with the same HW ID and version number....(although I didn't get into checking serial numbers of fets and crap like that...) from MY experiences, they are indeed the same damn thing.

and honestly, taking any of those specs of any of those websites as gospel, is a mistake IMO. I've bought several things that when in my hand, didn't exactly match what was stated on those websites. Or the included MFG's specs didn't match what was posted on the website. But for $35, I'm ok with that.

And BTW, using your logic....You say they are different....PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

To each their own....
well the v2.1 has solder posts. So maybe its a v2.0? The HW non v3.x stuff is still pretty cheap. With the release of the v3.x esc, they are no longer "cheap". Given equal pricing, I would get the orion, reedy, orca......
Old 11-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #26
Tech Apprentice

Even if they are identical, it's because they're copied.
Hobbywing makes oem products for Orion, SpeedPassion GT series, HPI and Yokomo.
In the case of Orion, they build 'm to Orion's specs, but the Yokomo 3.1 is a HW 3.1 with a different label.

Hobbyking ESC's are not oem but copies. Doesn't mean they don't work or aren't any good. Means that they are cheap because they didn't need an R&D department.

Also be aware of the many fake Hobbywings out there.

Genuine HW ESC's, both the 2.1 and 3.1 are very good products, on par with any name brand esc. With the 3.x though they aren't really a cheap option anymore.

There are some pretty good 50$ Rolexes out there. They do an excellent job tellling time.
ReneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
well the v2.1 has solder posts. So maybe its a v2.0? The HW non v3.x stuff is still pretty cheap. With the release of the v3.x esc, they are no longer "cheap". Given equal pricing, I would get the orion, reedy, orca......
the HW I had did NOT have solder posts (not kidding when I say it was identical...only difference was stickers)...I will look back through my photobucket and see if I can round up a picture of it. (and to be honest, I don't remember if it was a 2.1 or 2.0 so you may be correct...hopefully I can round up a pic)
Old 11-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
well , the fans are different , and the switches are different. The hobby wing fan case in your photo there is completely square and it has a 2 wire switch. The Hobbyking in your photo has a different fan case and a 3 wire switch. The HobbyWing weighs 20 grams more and has a higher power rating . So , yeah , NOT the SAME . Similar , but not the same....
And there you go again assuming the info given out on the net is 100% accurate. I'm telling you, they were identical in my hand. Only difference was stickers.

Falcon Sekido also specs these two ESC's below as being the same...and clearly they aren't identical.....so IMO going off the specs/pics is not a good way to compare 1 model vs another model, since clearly the MFG's can't supply correct information.

http://www.falconsekido.com/products...s-esc-for-10th

XERUN 120A SD V2.1 Brushless ESC (blue)

XERUN 120A SD V2.1 Brushless ESC (black)

One would assume by the description/specs that the only difference between the two units would be the color, right? But the pics provided by the MFG are clearly of 2 different cases (hell, maybe 2 different ESC's all together. one shows solder posts, the other clearly does not...black one has 2 wire fan/power switch, blue one has 3 wires...)

Just because it's on the internet..........
Old 11-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexVegaz View Post
Hey Fred,

I think the reason why people, including myself, buy the higher end or higher rated ESCs is to allow flexibility and transfer. Rather than spending another $60 - $80 on a stock specific ESC, its much cheaper to just just transfer to the esc to another chassis.
Yep... I bought Viper VTX10R-BE's because I wanted to be able to use them in the future on any 1/10 scale vehicle I wanted with any motor I wanted (well within reason).

I'm more of a buy the good stuff first kind of guy so I don't have to buy it twice or 3 times.
Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #30
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barge View Post
Yep... I bought Viper VTX10R-BE's because I wanted to be able to use them in the future on any 1/10 scale vehicle I wanted with any motor I wanted (well within reason).

I'm more of a buy the good stuff first kind of guy so I don't have to buy it twice or 3 times.
Been using the kinda expensive stuff & have a failure & replacing after less then a year .