Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Too dang hot!  Need some "outside the box" advice. (EB48) >

Too dang hot! Need some "outside the box" advice. (EB48)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too dang hot! Need some "outside the box" advice. (EB48)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by scorpion51503
Please don't listen to this guy he is a little nuts........surprised no one has mentioned checking drivetrain and bearings for binding or what diff fluid weights you are running not to mention 15t pinion is overgeared for that motor
I'm all ears. 7-5-2 on the diffs. What pinion do you recommend?

I've checked the drivetrain and the bearings.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A hot center different means too light on different oil go thicker. I run the EB48 with the 2250 and the sct pro 120 amp. 16 pinion and temps are under 150 after 10 min.main. Try to check that you have the latest update on the speed control too. I can run my punch as high as 6 or 7 with no heat issues but I leave the timing alone at the lowest setting.
As far as people saying go to a better quality set up, you own one of the best on the market already.
Paul Rush
HWNA Team driver
Old 11-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I highly doubt its your battery 4cells in 1/8th don't require as much strain on battery as 2cell pro 4 trucks
Old 11-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Slotmachine
A hot center different means too light on different oil go thicker. I run the EB48 with the 2250 and the sct pro 120 amp. 16 pinion and temps are under 150 after 10 min.main. Try to check that you have the latest update on the speed control too. I can run my punch as high as 6 or 7 with no heat issues but I leave the timing alone at the lowest setting.
As far as people saying go to a better quality set up, you own one of the best on the market already.
Paul Rush
HWNA Team driver
I do agree there is nothing wrong with hw systems I think the problem is somewhere else unless you have actually damaged the motor
Old 11-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

When you accelerate hard do the front wheels balloon? Are you limiting droop or running full droop?
Old 11-19-2013, 01:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scorpion51503
Please don't listen to this guy he is a little nuts........surprised no one has mentioned checking drivetrain and bearings for binding or what diff fluid weights you are running not to mention 15t pinion is overgeared for that motor
Its about time you got off your high horse and chimed in. Lol
Old 11-19-2013, 06:23 AM
Tech Regular

The thing to keep in mind is that gearing varies a lot by track size and surface as well as how technical the track ismy home track is medium size indoor track with medium to high bite but isa 10th scale setup track so lots of braking and tight I use a T8 2050 and a 16 tooth pinion and I come off at 160 easily in a ten minute main I would try a 13 tooth and see where that gets you and turn down your punch to reduce wheel spin which is a hugecause of excess heat
Old 11-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Slotmachine
Paul Rush
HWNA Team driver
The diff isn't hot, only the metal spur gear. The diff casing is not hot. I'll download the latest firmware to my program box and update the ESC. (Not quite sure how but I'll figure it out). This has run hot since day 1. I've taken the diffs apart, checked bearings, checked for binding. I'll report back after updating the software, but I think it's the motor. Unfortunately, it may be 2 weeks before I can try it.

Edit: The tracks I run at are roughly 120 x 100. They range from loamy to blue groove. All outdoors. Not sure if it matters, but I'm also in South Fl, sun can be pretty intense.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I can see the theory on bathery making a difference, but it should only make a small difference. That theory would be based on worse packs voltage sagging more, so requiring more current. That wouldn't likely change things by more than a couple degrees though unless you packs are shot and much lower capacity as compared to the new packs, and still it wouldn't be a drastic difference.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Tech Initiate

the 2 times i couldnt lower temps via pinions in the end turned out to be old lipos. when they are old an dont take the same mah as new they just cant supply the power needed. if your packs are new all i can think motor bearings or a bad motor. dont own a hw motor but a thing to check for hgh temps is the solderjoints on the rear of the motor where the tabs connect to the can. sometimes these can get a crack in them which will create heat