Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
2S LiPo pack quality >

2S LiPo pack quality

2S LiPo pack quality

Old 10-28-2013, 02:02 PM
Tech Regular

Default 2S LiPo pack quality

I've searched everywhere but haven't found anything "definitive" on which brand LiPos are the best.

I'm looking at picking up a couple 2S LiPo saddle packs for a new 1/10 4WD kit I'm building, and tossing in all the highest-end components.

What're some of the best LiPo's available? Are there are factual tests that prove a 100C battery is actually capable of sustained 100C discharge rates for example, or is it all just brand-loyalty and trusting the specs are accurate?
Old 10-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (99%+)

I'm not trying to hijack your thread but let me ask you this... What makes you think that you need to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on the "best" stuff out there. In my opinion and some may disagree with me but in today's market all the batteries you buy are all the same. They are all china batteries that gen ace puts there label on and sells for 40 bucks yet protek puts there label on and sells for 100 bucks. I have a b44.2 and I run the hobbywing 2.1 setup with 5100mah turnigy nano tech batteries and my car is just as powerful last just as long and stays just as cool as any of them tekin Orion viper or any other high end systems out there
Old 10-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I would assume that your going to run a mod motor in your wheeler so you don't need the highest discharge packs.
The worlds was just won with reedy wolf packs in a B44.

Look at smc saddles and there are a few other companies that don't charge an arm & a leg. Smc's motors are worth a look while your there for $50.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by skoalisbad4me
I'm not trying to hijack your thread but let me ask you this... What makes you think that you need to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on the "best" stuff out there. In my opinion and some may disagree with me but in today's market all the batteries you buy are all the same. They are all china batteries that gen ace puts there label on and sells for 40 bucks yet protek puts there label on and sells for 100 bucks. I have a b44.2 and I run the hobbywing 2.1 setup with 5100mah turnigy nano tech batteries and my car is just as powerful last just as long and stays just as cool as any of them tekin Orion viper or any other high end systems out there
Nothing makes me think that I have to. I just enjoy putting together and using the highest quality equipment. Nothing wrong with wanting the best stuff out there

This is the kind of information I'm after as well. Is there a definitive "best" in battery quality, or are all of these basically coming out of the same 1 or 2 factories?

Originally Posted by fq06
I would assume that your going to run a mod motor in your wheeler so you don't need the highest discharge packs.
The worlds was just won with reedy wolf packs in a B44.

Look at smc saddles and there are a few other companies that don't charge an arm & a leg. Smc's motors are worth a look while your there for $50.
Yes running mod, I've got an Orion R10 Pro ESC matched with the Orion VST 2 6.5T motor. Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

While I agree, i also disagree. Some of the cheap stuff like the HW v2.1 and 3.1 stuff is better than the top end stuff, but the nanotechs are not that awesome. The most comon issue I see with them is melting the case around the bullet in the higher amp draw applications like sc 4x4. Even in 4x4 1/10 buggy, I have seen them have issues. Plus the case on the turnigy packs is prone to breaking. And of course you never had any issues. Because you spoke up about them, I would assume you never had an issue. Personally, I think the gensace, SMC, Promatch and Aero Model Packs are all priced really good and perform well. I have actually seen very few gensace packs have issues. But since you can buy SMC/pro match and aero model for the same price, I at least prefer to buy from US owned companies even if they are made in china. If i boycotted all china made products, I would be living in the middle ages. But, i do agree that only buying high end electronics is kinda a waste. I run $15 servos, $50 motors, $50 esc's and batteries in the 40-60 dollar range. You can spend a lot, but it probably wont mater. Some kid with a turnigy 17.5 motor and esc combo beat me in 17.5 buggy running a soft-case 20c battery.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

I ran Reedy Wolfpack 4800 25c saddle packs in my B44.2 this past weekend. Setup was a Orion R10 Pro esc with Tekin Redline 6.5T. It was a beast! Batteries were fine.

I also am waiting on a SMC 5600 pack as well as a few Turnigy Nano-tech 65c packs.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
While I agree, i also disagree. Some of the cheap stuff like the HW v2.1 and 3.1 stuff is better than the top end stuff, but the nanotechs are not that awesome. The most comon issue I see with them is melting the case around the bullet in the higher amp draw applications like sc 4x4. Even in 4x4 1/10 buggy, I have seen them have issues. Plus the case on the turnigy packs is prone to breaking. And of course you never had any issues. Because you spoke up about them, I would assume you never had an issue. Personally, I think the gensace, SMC, Promatch and Aero Model Packs are all priced really good and perform well. I have actually seen very few gensace packs have issues. But since you can buy SMC/pro match and aero model for the same price, I at least prefer to buy from US owned companies even if they are made in china. If i boycotted all china made products, I would be living in the middle ages. But, i do agree that only buying high end electronics is kinda a waste. I run $15 servos, $50 motors, $50 esc's and batteries in the 40-60 dollar range. You can spend a lot, but it probably wont mater. Some kid with a turnigy 17.5 motor and esc combo beat me in 17.5 buggy running a soft-case 20c battery.
I spoke up about them because I like them and for the price I would buy them again. I completely agree with you about the case melting around the bullets in both 4x4 short course and 4x4 buggy. I run nano tech sticks in short course and saddles in my buggy and all 4 of them have melted around the bullets. But at the same time this does not affect the performance of the battery at all. I also have seen the Orion carob pro 120 dollar batteries melt around the bullets after 1 run. If there is a problem with any part of the system in these electric cars whether I be geared wrong, wrong size wire, anything like that is causes unneeded resistance and that will reek havoc on electronics.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Ive had luck with the big brands but honestly smc is the best imo. good ir and real claims. Plus the guy is helpful and stands behind them.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Tech Prophet

lol, yeah. We had a guy melt the posts last weekend. I would have tossed the pack, but he was like, its still good... I guess i am just afraid of seeing my car go up in flames. He was also having his bullets come unsoldered. So I helped him resolder up his bullets, I spread the prongs on his bullets and he said those whole system ran cooler and better. I personally have never melted the pack. I have 1x turnigy shorty becasue some local bought too many and sold it to me for $30. Its has really good IR and delivers the full 4200 mah. But the case feels sooooo cheap. But it was $30.... I am goofy about lipos. If they puff or melt, they get thrown in the trash. I spent an entire day watching lipo fire videos, lol. Now i have the fear in me. My gensace was run in 4x4, 2wd, mod and etc. never puffed and has lower IR than new packs. go figure.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by turtletrax
Ive had luck with the big brands but honestly smc is the best imo. good ir and real claims. Plus the guy is helpful and stands behind them.
The "best" thing about the SMC packs is Danny and the support he gives on the forums. Not these forums, because of "issues" with rctech mods. But still. I bet he spends most of his day answering questions and helping out. You wont get that from turnigy, gensace, reedy, orion, etc.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Tech Regular

I appreciate you trying to help a fellow RC enthusiast but this information is not entirely correct.

ProTek RC uses only the highest quality manufacturing processes and materials. We spend tireless amounts of time testing all of our batteries in our dedicated lab before approving them for production. We also test samples from each batch to ensure quality. As well as the countless of hours that our team drivers put in testing and providing feedback. So not all batteries are created equal.

We have industry leading warranties and return policies to ensure that all of our customers enjoy our products and are able to use them with the utmost confidence.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I spend no more than 65 per battery. Right now I have two main batteries for each of my three cars. 2 are aeromodel, 2 are peak and the other two are ip
Old 10-28-2013, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

I buy big brands for the customer support and quality of course, but lipos I won't buy any 100-150$ lipos, put it this way, I bought 2 lightly used trinity revtech 6900 100c 2cells and they're trash(now) but 100$ for 2 it was worth a try
Old 10-28-2013, 03:12 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by mkorn
I appreciate you trying to help a fellow RC enthusiast but this information is not entirely correct.

ProTek RC uses only the highest quality manufacturing processes and materials. We spend tireless amounts of time testing all of our batteries in our dedicated lab before approving them for production. We also test samples from each batch to ensure quality. As well as the countless of hours that our team drivers put in testing and providing feedback. So not all batteries are created equal.

We have industry leading warranties and return policies to ensure that all of our customers enjoy our products and are able to use them with the utmost confidence.
That is true. The QC, quality standards and testing is the difference. Also that great warranty you guys have. But, to be honest, we pay for that warranty with a higher base price. Not trying to talk smack, but that is the way of business. The costs of the returned and warrantied product must be offset with a slightly higher price. I have heard nothing but great things about Amain's warranty policy. I was going to pick up one of your servos, but you dont have a low profile offering. But anyway, no one is doubting your quality, testing or warranty. But one of the questions that was asked is, how can you test it for 100c. To my knowledge they is no industry standard C rating test. The big question people have is comparing the C rating on packs from different companies. In the "old" day, we used to check the IR/mah with a 35amp load. And then match the cells. The lower IR cells cost more and the higher IR were delegated to sport packs. This whole C rating thing is confusing the masses.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by turtletrax
I'm not bashing SMC, but I want to provide some other insight in to their product. I have been using Turnigy Nano Techs for 2+ years with great success. For no other reason other than curiousity, I decided to try the SMC batteries. In the last 1.5 years I have purchased the following SMC batteries:

2S 7200 mAh 70C w/Deans (4x4 SC)
5600 mAh 70C Saddle Pack (4wd 1/10 buggy)
2S 5600 mAh 70C w/Deans (2wd Mod buggy)
4S 6500 mAh 70C w/Deans (E-Truggy)

I'm a seasoned racer. I race every weekend, so my packs are cycled regularly. I only race and even during practice the packs are never even remotely run close to cut-off. Packs are balanced with every single charge. Packs are stored at 75% charge and always at room temperature.

At the 6 month mark, the 2S 7200 mAh battery dropped a cell out of the blue. No swelling, just went to charge it one day and the charger said low voltage.

At the 3 month mark, the 5600 mAh saddle packs started to swell very bad. They weren't bad at first and they charged and ran fine, but after 4 more weekends, they no longer fit in the buggies cradles. They still worked, but they looked bad!

At the 6 month mark the 5600 mAh in my mod 2wd buggy dropped a cell out of the blue, no warning. It charged fine, but 2 laps in to a race the buggy stopped and the charger said low voltage.

I have a brand new 4S 6500 mAh 70C lipo sitting in my man cave and I am seriously afraid to use it. I want to just sell it and buy something else because I'm afraid it will suffer the same fate.

In hind-site, my Turnigy Nano Tech batteries worked flawless, always strong, never swelled, never died and each one of them lasted at least 2 years and they are still going strong. I never had the issue of the terminals melting, nor have I ever cracked a case.

My preference for 4S batteries is Pro-Tek. If Hobby King made 4S Turnigy batteries with 60C or better ratings, I'd buy them. But A Main does a fantastic job of standing behind their batteries, they've performed well for me and for me the price is reasonable. Some of my 4S Pro-Tek batteries have swelled a bit, but nothing terrible and they are still strong performers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.