Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Xray XB4 2014 or Yokomo B-Max4 III

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Tech Regular

Default Xray XB4 2014 or Yokomo B-Max4 III

Looking to purchase one of these two kits as soon as they hit shelves for the upcoming winter season.

They both look like very solid kits with great construction. I like the Xray for its implied quality and painstaking attention to configurability and options; however the Yokomo is a very nice, straight forward and easy to work on design that's a proven performer that also looks very well built.

The Xray seems like it'd be easier to get a hold of parts-wise etc. where I am, but that's only a very minor point in my decision making process.

Any technical reasons why one might be your preference versus the other?

Also looking to buy a new ESC and motor to go with either kit. I'd like to stick with a 2S lipo saddle pack configuration.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yokomo is also excellent quality in case that's a concern.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Im on the fence as well. I have a yokomo 2wd that I am winning with and more than happy to have so I know the performance will be there on the 4wd but I like the little touches on the xray. I'm waiting to see both in person.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Woulvesbaine
Yokomo is also excellent quality in case that's a concern.
Good to know. I've not yet build a Yokomo kit, but they seem very high quality from research as well.

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Xray is also exceptional quality and super durable. I ran their T4 sedans for almost a year and used only one part between 2 cars. I can't help but think that their durability and superior fit and finish would carry over to the XB4. It's on my short list of 4wd buggies for this winter.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

it's really going to come down to personal preference and availability of parts like you stated. both looked good at the worlds. more so the bmax4. it looked stellar on track and up close. the yokomo is more proven. it's gone through a handful of evolutions already.

just so you know, naoto's worlds car was mostly stock. the titanium turnbuckles, center bulkhead cap, and shock caps were the only upgrades on his car. the car is well stocked out of the "box".
Old 10-22-2013, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I'm actually in a similar situation but also strongly considering the hb d413. Any input why u didn't consider that car?
Old 10-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Tech Regular

littlevette, that is actually a very important point that I consider to have good weight behind it. The kits that the pros run with very minimal, if not 0 differences from a stock kit means a lot.

If you look at something like an Associated 44.2, the drivers have to replace all the ball cups and turnbuckles, and do various other mods for example. The Xray doesn't seem as well proven, and if I'm honest I think some of their tuning options like more/less screws in the chassis to affect chassis flex seem really gimmicky and "stupid" if you ask me; but I do know the kits are of very high quality.

Speedy, I have actually considered the HB D413. It's up there, but not quite a #1/#2 choice for me as maybe I am wrong, but I don't consider HPI's quality and racing pedigree to be at quite the same level overall. For a nitro truggy however, I'm picking up a HB because you can't beat the price and design for what it is (ie. a bit less competitive for me, but still would like to have a blast and race with it). Just my personal opinion on the HPI kits. I will however say that I do like some of the design elements, and the center oil filled differential is something I've wondered why other companies haven't gone to. But, when I thought about it... the ease of a well made slipper clutch allowing very fast changes is something that holds value to me if you'll be running between carpet and clay tracks like I intend to. So one other thing that sort of made it a "#3" choice for me.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

You need to look at some more HB race vehicles in person... I have seen the previous HB tc's and Buggies, and the quality is just as good, if not better than other major manufacturers, and they are much of the time better value for the money.

It does use a carbon plate chassis, so it might not be as planted as one of the aluminum chassis cars you looked at before.

Unless you have a yokomo parts source at the lhs i would go for the xray.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

One point to consider is the new Bmax will have all metal gears and not just the diffs but the output gears as well, out of the box!

2nd, New Bmax will not have a top deck which makes working on everything much easier

If you are running low turn motors its a point well worth considering.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by zzztech
One point to consider is the new Bmax will have all metal gears and not just the diffs but the output gears as well, out of the box!

2nd, New Bmax will not have a top deck which makes working on everything much easier

If you are running low turn motors its a point well worth considering.
For these reasons, I think I've made up my mind. I was wondering about the Xray's plastic gears.

I like this kit more and more... sold on the Yokomo for sure now

Thinking about going with an Orion Vortex R10 Pro (160amp) ESC and an Orion VST 2 Pro 6.5T motor. Good setup?
Old 10-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by codeman
For these reasons, I think I've made up my mind. I was wondering about the Xray's plastic gears.

I like this kit more and more... sold on the Yokomo for sure now

Thinking about going with an Orion Vortex R10 Pro (160amp) ESC and an Orion VST 2 Pro 6.5T motor. Good setup?
They are all good speedos out there and you'll be running no timing anyway. I don't know where you race but I'm assuming 6.5t will be plenty motor. I like reedy motors, they are a great compromise of smooth and torquey.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

racing pedigree? lol.

good choice with Yok. this way you wont be updating kits every year.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Yokomo just updated their 2wd again, twice in less than a year haha

The Xray is awesome, built it out of the box, it falls together and runs really well.

The plastic gears aren't bad at all, they're really smooth. Once they changed to the v2 gears there hasn't really been any problems with them at all. Now they've changed the material slightly to be even more durable.

The chassis screws aren't gimicy and make a huge difference.

I've been running the XB4 since it was first available in the US, my chassis is getting a bit thin and I'm needing a new one. However I'm also running all the original plastic parts as far as arms, hubs, spindles, caster blocks, etc... And the car doesn't feel worn out, just the slightest bit more play than when I built the car. If that isn't impressive, plus the fact I haven't broken any of those parts over a year of running the car, then I'm not sure what is.

I'd pick a LRP Flow or Hobby Wing V3.1 for esc, the HW will be just like the Orion but cheaper and many more settings you can change as far as punch levels and brake response. The Flow is simple and works really well, also has a good all around feel to it. I run a Reedy motor in mine, ultra smooth, and $50 less than the Orion.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

What did you get I'm leaning toward the 2014 X-ray xb4 but might wait for the losi or hot bodies ahhhh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.