Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enjoy your local indoor track while its around

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 02:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

What I meant was, you need a businessman that enjoys RC's or maybe even a partnership. One with business/accounting skills and one with RC enthusiasm. And you need a RD that keep things moving and keeps the racing under control and fun. The fine line between a RD Nazi and an RD pansy. One that calls the stop and goes, bumps people from novice that are fast enough etc, etc. The RD needs to be part party planner and part politician. Needs those organization skills, time management skills and the people skill to smooth out the wrinkles. Because on a race day, everyone is crying to the RD. And if your a jerk, people leave. If you don't address the issues and keep a clean program, people leave. Time management becomes very important for night racing. No one wants to take their kids home at 3am and drive exhausted them selves. Plus, if you don't keep things moving , people get bored and irritated. People are a bunch of cry babies, so the RD's job truly suck, lol. Its not one I would ever wanna do.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
What I meant was, you need a businessman that enjoys RC's or maybe even a partnership. One with business/accounting skills and one with RC enthusiasm. And you need a RD that keep things moving and keeps the racing under control and fun. The fine line between a RD Nazi and an RD pansy. One that calls the stop and goes, bumps people from novice that are fast enough etc, etc. The RD needs to be part party planner and part politician. Needs those organization skills, time management skills and the people skill to smooth out the wrinkles. Because on a race day, everyone is crying to the RD. And if your a jerk, people leave. If you don't address the issues and keep a clean program, people leave. Time management becomes very important for night racing. No one wants to take their kids home at 3am and drive exhausted them selves. Plus, if you don't keep things moving , people get bored and irritated. People are a bunch of cry babies, so the RD's job truly suck, lol. Its not one I would ever wanna do.
I was followig you, All great points imo, one thing in my job I do get plenty of practice dealing with deadlines, hitting a moving target and not letting it get you flustered in the heat of the moment.....It has been probably my best assest from a RD stanpoint.

Last edited by BAUSTIN; 10-28-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BAUSTIN
It is very difficult to do both well...from a RD and racer standpoint...almost certainly one aspect is going to suffer......but having someone with race experience really helps also...vs having someone just running it from a business standpoint. Our biggest issue is how much racing do you try to get in?....race every Saturday and possibly a short weeknight, (more of a controlled practice)....every week keeps the doors open and racers in-gauged, or do you race every other week and try to draw a larger portion of your race base....as a race director i'm interested in the things that make a track better or worse.......I know the obvious, try to be fair across the board, keep the program moving.....etc...but there are things that are just going to be issues....if you are doing good on time some guys want to get out early some guys want to squeeze in another round......you cant please everyone its just how it is...our race fees were set by racers for racers, like mentioned above i have a background in engineering not business, so hopefully if the numbers aren't adding up for us, hopefully our VFD partners would come to us to make changes before it is too late......we have a good bit or racer turnover. Its just a tough market with a thin margin, so thin even I can see it.
I know what you mean Billy. Seems like we have a few hardcore guys that are dedicated. Others, even myself, for some reason aren't regular. I know one thing I am up against is having a 4 year old a 6 year old at home. They aren't quite old enuff to want to participate nor do they have the skills needed and my wife gets frustrated when I am gone every Saturday at the track. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that somebody had mentioned doing an arcade as well to help keep the young ones entertained. At Code 3 we have the space, and even a few of the games lol, but it's hit and miss what games are plugged up and working. May need to bust out some more volunteer time and organize that second room some more and make it more family friendly.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:59 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Old TV's and game consoles plus a DVD player. Heck, you might be able to pay some decent kids babysitting fees to watch the room a bit. I can imagine a room with a movie going for the young kids on one old TV, a PS2 on another, and an XBox on another. Throw in some popcorn and my kids would be total zombies all day long.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Ran into a situation where I was unable to make it to the track for a month, so I just bought some goddies for my sct and made all changes to switch from novice to 17.5 stock class. 1 day before I recevied my 17.5 motor and able to get back to track, wouldn't you know it, I noticed a post on there thread that they were closing You never know when might be your last race at that track Luckily there is another track about 40 mins from me
Old 10-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bds81175
Old TV's and game consoles plus a DVD player. Heck, you might be able to pay some decent kids babysitting fees to watch the room a bit. I can imagine a room with a movie going for the young kids on one old TV, a PS2 on another, and an XBox on another. Throw in some popcorn and my kids would be total zombies all day long.
Lol. We have all of that at our track. Lost of old TVs and arcade games. Just needs organized
Old 10-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My local track was going to open an indoor offroad track.
We had everything ready to go the lights, everything was ready.
But due to the building advisors they had to close it because they didnt have bathrooms. I can see this happening again in the future, they just have to find the right building for it to happen.

But im glad another track that was close by worked out thier differences with this track. Everything is at peace now and that's the way I like it.

I can go 10-15 miles away and race at this other track knowing they are getting along with this track.

One thing that has died here is nitro. You dont see nitro truggy or buggy here anymore. When that all died out people just either quit or started running electric. I see approximately 50% less people than I saw 2-3 years ago.
I think it had to do with the economy becoming bad. People lost thier jobs and couldnt afford to run $2000 cars anymore.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I see a lot of talk the last few pages about confrontations, turn marshalls, and race directors. Do any of your tracks have Drivers Meetings? That's always been a requirement for most of the tracks I've frequented, and it's made clear: Marshall after your race, or find a marshall, No yelling at the Marshalls (or profanity in general at some tracks), race clean or go home and some also have the time penalties for cutting track or getting on the gas while a marshall has hands on the car.

It seems to me, from this thread, that the biggest problem is a lot of the track owners don't know how to run a track properly, or plan long-term with goals.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 123 (97%+)

Agreed, a drivers meeting done at every race (yes, every raceday) helps with not only the morale and spirit of racing, it identifies problems before they occur and ruin the raceday. A race director has to understand that yes, we're here to have a good time, but also he is in charge and cannot allow a certain few to ruin the day.

the most successful race directors I've known have been fair and decisive on their decisions throughout the day, including docking laps for failing to marshall or calling out rude, foul language on the drivers stand.

with that said, get out and support your local track, and don't complain about it, do what I do: if I don't like a track, just don't go.