Community
Wiki Posts
Search

lipo question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Default lipo question

any body know much about lithium polymer batteries? ive been looking into getting some, but want to know more about them...any answers would be greatly appreciated...also i have heard that they can be pretty dangerous, any suggestions?
Old 06-30-2005, 01:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thats a pretty broad question. Can you narrow it down to an application? Basically its all about knowing how many amps you will be drawing out of the battery. From there just pick a pack based on how light it is, or how much runtime you want. Lipo's really are not dangerous as long as you pay attention to charge and discharge rates. People said NIMH were dangerous when they came out.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

Well they are expensive, 3/4 the weight of a nimh with the same number of cells and provide super long runtimes and more power.

www.thunderpacks.com sell lipos

Sean
Old 06-30-2005, 10:27 AM
Tech Rookie

well, i am going to be getting either a mini quake or rc18mt, but i have been looking into these lipos quite a bit the last few days, and think that i have learned enough about them to get myself a pretty good start, but if you have any specific lipos in mind, brand and size wise, your help would be appreciated. Also are the lipos used in minis the same as are used for airplanes, ect...?
Old 06-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

hey, i live in australia and me and my brother bought 1 li-ion battery (basically the same as li-po, uses same charger basically identical) a li-po charger for $70 for all. we got it for his mini-t now it flies with lithium! but its dangeroues never leave it unattended while charging.

heres a vid of the performance of his stock to lithium,deans.
http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=60065 : Mini-T "King Of The Hill" indoor lithium-iron bash

really it doesnt matter if you get lithium-iron or li-po they both use the same charger and perform basically the same. My brother get about 1 hour-1 and a half hours with lithium, Its great!

Good luck.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i have a 8000 2-cell lipo i run in my MF2, i use it for practice, takes about 45-50 minutes to charge, and i can run it for about 20-30 min with a novak brushless. i pull it off just when i see a small drop in speed, i was told not to run it down all the way or it could damage the pack if you run it dead. i charge it with a duratrax ice charger,
Old 06-30-2005, 07:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by meetmattveltman
well, i am going to be getting either a mini quake or rc18mt, but i have been looking into these lipos quite a bit the last few days, and think that i have learned enough about them to get myself a pretty good start, but if you have any specific lipos in mind, brand and size wise, your help would be appreciated. Also are the lipos used in minis the same as are used for airplanes, ect...?

I am not sure exactly which pack fits perfectly. But I would say those trucks are drawing between 10-15 amps. So look for a pack that is around 1500mah or more. And make sure that it has a 10+C discharge rate. All of that info should be listed on the pack. Just find one that fits your truck.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

yupp there the same in airplanes and stuff, my brother has a helicopter li-ion in his mini-t.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:49 PM
Tech Initiate

i run my rc18t with a thunderpower 2100 mah 2 cell lithium polymer with a mamba 6800. if you are going to run lithing packs in a rc18mt, you will deffinately want to upgrade to a brushless system, it handles the power better and is faster, go to the 1/18th scale truck tread and i rote alot about how to do the 1/18th scale truck thing the rite way, and if you dont have the money to currently fund a brushless and lipo powered vehicle, save up because there isnot a huge power difference with a bone stock rc18mt with a 6 cell or lipo.just more runtime. www.b-p-p.com has some lipo and brushless products for 1/18's.