Tool/trick to compare unmarked springs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tool/trick to compare unmarked springs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Tech Regular

Questions?? Tool/trick to compare unmarked springs?

I've almost filled a large ziplock with assorted spare springs from various RC's I've owned. Most I can pair up by colour... but is there an easy way to compare them to each other? i.e. I have 10 pairs of springs and in the end I've sorted them by stiffness?

I can sort some at a course level by squeezing them... but others I've had to mount and look at ride height since they've felt so close. Is there a better way?
Old 10-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You could probably use a digital scale and compress the springs 1" and take a measurement. Use a ruler to show when you have compressed the same amount on each. Not exact, but it is probably more accurate than using fingers.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PetRock
I've almost filled a large ziplock with assorted spare springs from various RC's I've owned. Most I can pair up by colour... but is there an easy way to compare them to each other? i.e. I have 10 pairs of springs and in the end I've sorted them by stiffness?

I can sort some at a course level by squeezing them... but others I've had to mount and look at ride height since they've felt so close. Is there a better way?
Losi makes a shock matching tool($20) that as long as you make sure each shock is egual, you could compare springs. Once you have figured out your pairs, nail polish is a good way to mark springs.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Count the coils. More coils means softer spring.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hoese37
Count the coils. More coils means softer spring.
Only if the wire diameter is the same.

Easiest way to compare two springs is slide them both over a dowel or tool handle, end to end, and compress them both. The first spring to bottom out all the coils is the softer one. Just don't let them slip or they'll shoot across the room.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

smooth wood dowel marked with measurements, washer on top of a digital scale, compress to each marking on the scale of the dowel and measure the weight, compare and mark as desired.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've used a hobby vise, digital calipers, and a digital scale to measure springs in the past.

Spread the calipers and clamp one end between the rubber jaws of the hobby vise. Lay the digital scale on top if the hobby vise between the ends of the calipers.

Place a spring on top of the scale and measure its mass, say 7 grams. Then start closing the calipers until they just start to touch the spring. Zero the calipers. Then close the calipers by a known amount, say 10.00 mm. Then read the mass from the scale. As an example, it might read 560 grams.

The spring rate is the change in mass over the change in distance. In this case it's (560-7 grams)/10.00 mm = 55.3 grams per millimeter. To covert into pounds per inch, multiply by .056. In this example the spring rate would be about 3.1 pounds per inch.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

http://www.acxesspring.com/spring-fo...alculator.html

I've used this calculator and it works well. Take a few measurements with calipers, plug in the numbers and you get the spring rate.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speedy_w_beans
I've used a hobby vise, digital calipers, and a digital scale to measure springs in the past.

Spread the calipers and clamp one end between the rubber jaws of the hobby vise. Lay the digital scale on top if the hobby vise between the ends of the calipers.

Place a spring on top of the scale and measure its mass, say 7 grams. Then start closing the calipers until they just start to touch the spring. Zero the calipers. Then close the calipers by a known amount, say 10.00 mm. Then read the mass from the scale. As an example, it might read 560 grams.

The spring rate is the change in mass over the change in distance. In this case it's (560-7 grams)/10.00 mm = 55.3 grams per millimeter. To covert into pounds per inch, multiply by .056. In this example the spring rate would be about 3.1 pounds per inch.
The mass of the spring does not change. The force exerted by the spring will.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Odin544
The mass of the spring does not change. The force exerted by the spring will.
You are correct. The mass of the spring is constant at 7 grams in this example. The reading on the scale isn't actually grams, though, it's gram-force with an assumption about the acceleration due to gravity. By taking two readings at uncompressed and compressed states, we find the change in gram-force over a change in distance to find a spring constant. Then multiply by the appropriate conversion factor to state the spring rate in other units.

The scale reads grams, but it's really measuring gram-force.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KAWIDAD
Losi makes a shock matching tool($20) that as long as you make sure each shock is egual, you could compare springs. Once you have figured out your pairs, nail polish is a good way to mark springs.
I assume to just test the springs you could do this with just dry shocks? Would seem like the least complex way to pair them up.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:24 AM
Tech Adept

That's exactly how I do it...it gives you a pretty good idea!

I place a digital scale in between 2 lipos(on their side). I place the spring on the scale and use hard ruler(unbendable) to press the spring down until the ruler touches the lipos.
Like that you can push each time equally as hard/far on all springs. Just write the scale readings down for all your springs and you have your own spring comparable chart.

Originally Posted by RCmayor
You could probably use a digital scale and compress the springs 1" and take a measurement. Use a ruler to show when you have compressed the same amount on each. Not exact, but it is probably more accurate than using fingers.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rcgod

I've used this calculator and it works well. Take a few measurements with calipers, plug in the numbers and you get the spring rate.
Thanks you mate! Really cool tool, at least I'm able to do my own spring shart
Old 10-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gayosaka
Thanks you mate! Really cool tool, at least I'm able to do my own spring shart
Shart ?????

Not sure I want to be around when you start springing those...
Old 10-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcgod

What do you select for spring material?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.