Wiki Posts
Search

Lifespan??

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Lifespan??

I'm really considering building an 1/8th scale e buggy. I am a nitro nut at heart but when I go to larger events I really would like a second class.

My question is, what is the life span of the running gear on an e-bugg? Motor and esc are pricey but if 2-3 full seasons are possible with little to no issue then it might not be so bad...help if you can, Thanks!!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:35 PM
Tech Regular

If you charge and store your batteries properly they should last 2-3 years. I have been running the same charger and power supply for four years. Motors should last forever if you maintain them ( clean and change bearings) periodically. ESCs will last forever if you don't let the smoke out.

Buy quality electronics and maintain them correctly and they will last quite a long time.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 1badgoat
If you charge and store your batteries properly they should last 2-3 years. I have been running the same charger and power supply for four years. Motors should last forever if you maintain them ( clean and change bearings) periodically. ESCs will last forever if you don't let the smoke out.

Buy quality electronics and maintain them correctly and they will last quite a long time.
+1
Old 10-04-2013, 12:49 AM
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 1badgoat

+2, go with a quality company with good CS from the get go, there's cheaper options out there that perform well but good support most likely wont come with it, get a good charger as well
Old 10-04-2013, 01:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

How often would you change the bearings in the motor?

Anyone have a answer to this, also how often do you guys do maintenance motor pull down.

Last edited by Nitro Tiger; 10-16-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Nitro Tiger
Go to tekin's website. Randy Pike does a great video on motor maintainence.

Here is the link.

http://youtu.be/8xGnCYrSOKo

Last edited by 1badgoat; 10-04-2013 at 03:28 AM. Reason: link added
Old 10-04-2013, 05:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You guys are awesome!! This seals the deal for me....e bug officially on the wish list
Old 10-04-2013, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Yup Once you get the gearing set, to avoid over taxing the esc and motor, that's about it. Breakage is normal as parts fatigue and wear out. Same as nitro. I've got a set of batteries that have about 60+ cycles on them and still going strong, another set with 25+ that show no sign of going south. So if they are conditioned right to start with, the long life is there. One thing about electric vs nitro is the sudden onrush of punching an electric, isn't as soft as a nitro, so it's harsh on the drivetrain, more unforgiving of driver mistakes. You might get away with using stock driveshafts on nitro, but you probably won't for long on a Bl setup. So plan on over building you're electric buggy some, to avoid constant breakage.

Oh and you don't have to wash the oil off of it, after an hours running lol.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I think the key will be cycling or using the batteries every now and again. They will go bad if you are not using them. I usually count on them being good for 2yrs with moderate use. Less if used more.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:21 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

In e-buggy it's the mechanical components that are going to wear quicker than you're used to in nitro.

Keep in mind that the 1/8 electric motors put out a ton of power and instant / massive torque, so you're drivetrain is going to take more of a beating then in a nitro car.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Make sure not to run your batteries to what they call LVC.... basically don't run them down to the bottom of their capacity... If your car slows down stop immediately and charge them again. Your ESC (electronic control) will have a setting on it LVC, butI do not trust them.. So basically run your car for 5 or 12, or 15 minutes and pull it off..even if the batteries have more juice..... check screws, put more batteries in and go again...assuming your motor and esc is not too hot.... and have fun
Old 10-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Make sure not to run your batteries to what they call LVC.... basically don't run them down to the bottom of their capacity... If your car slows down stop immediately and charge them again. Your ESC (electronic control) will have a setting on it LVC, butI do not trust them.. So basically run your car for 5 or 12, or 15 minutes and pull it off..even if the batteries have more juice..... check screws, put more batteries in and go again...assuming your motor and esc is not too hot.... and have fun
Old 10-16-2013, 01:36 AM
Tech Master

Anyone have a answer to this, also how often do you guys do a maintenance motor pull down.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:44 AM
Tech Champion

Anyone have a answer to this, also how often do you guys do a maintenance motor pull down.
it depends if you run on tracks with thin dust or not

I seal all my motor holes with silicone and they last forever, especially the t8 which is just insanely durable

lipos last very long if you use a good charger/ LVC and store charge them

charger and power supply last forever (hyperion, icharger, graupner...)

ESC..it depends, 1st gen rx8 was weak IMO (I had 3 or 4), the 2nd one I don't know but should be much better but surprisingly my most durable 1/8 ESC is a Castle MMP paired with an external BEC I did two endurances with it and still running strong (high voltage setup), Xerun 120A and 150A are very durable also, Toro forget it

so all in all it will cost you much less to run electric than nitro but the pleasure is different
Old 10-16-2013, 02:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SouthFloridaApp
Huh? There is nothing wrong with running your packs down to LVC... especially if you set it to a voltage like 3.4 on up. Also, why would you not trust your ESC's LVC? You should already know how accurate it is by checking voltage on your packs that hit a specified LVC..... which is nowhere near the bottom of a packs capacity by the way.

5 or 12, or 15 minutes? That's odd throwing completely random numbers out considering you have no idea what packs or capacity is being used or running conditions. Something tells me you charge/cycle your packs way more than is needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.