Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duratrax Evader ST Nitro

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 02:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Unhappy Duratrax Evader ST Nitro

I recently purchased this gas r/c truck and have run less than 3/4 of a gallon of fuel through it.
It started getting hard to start and now will not run at all. I have changed the glow plug, changed the battery in the glow plug starter, tried new fuel and also tried to change to the carb settings to no evail. People have told me that I may have run it too lean - I don't agree as I adjusted per the manual that came with the vehicle.

I have pulled the cylinder and piston out of the engine - how can I tell if they are warn out? And is the DTX .18 a quality engine? Is it worth rebuilding it or should I replace it with an O.S. Max CVR .18 engine?

Any ideas that you can give me would be great - this is getting expensive and I am not sure I should have bought this.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

does the engine have good compression? when u turn the flywheel, does it have resistance? is the air filter clogged? any leaks in the lines? do u prime it before starting?
Old 06-26-2005, 11:18 PM
Tech Addict

is the oneway bearing in the pullstart locked up????

btw,the engine you have is made by O.S. although its of lower quality
Old 06-27-2005, 05:16 AM
Tech Master

Does the engine pop at least when you try and start it? If so adjust the idle screw clockwise.

Make sure you prime the engine.

Sean
Old 06-27-2005, 09:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi - and thank you for your responses. I have tried everything that you are talking about and still have no luck in starting the car. How can I tell if the engine is wore out or if has been overheated? I am trying to weigh replacing the engine vs. rebuilding it.

Thank you for your help - it is really appreciated!
Old 06-28-2005, 02:47 AM
Tech Master

I don't know what to say.

If the engine is primed, the idle screw is set right, the glow plug is new, the fuels new, the glow ignitor's batteries are new it must start.

To tell if the engine is worn (i doubt it) spin the flywheel with your finger and see if there is a fair amount of pinch or compression in the engine as the flywheel turns over.

Try heating up the engine before starting it and definetely buy a new glow plug if you haven't already as glowplugs are usually stuffed after the break in period.

Sean
Old 12-17-2005, 11:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Check your clutch. The spring probably snapped causing it to lock up like mine did.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have a question about the idle needle. What is the correct setting for my Evader ST? I really don't know the best setting for my truck. Thanks