Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with AE big bore shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Need help with AE big bore shocks

I need help !!! I have a set of Associated Big Bore shocks and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get all the air out. I love shocks that use a bladder but the AE big bores don't use one. Everyone says the AE shocks are great but I don't like using them cause I can't get all the air out. PLEASE someone tell me how to bleed these things and get all the air out.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:08 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nutsplats
I need help !!! I have a set of Associated Big Bore shocks and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get all the air out. I love shocks that use a bladder but the AE big bores don't use one. Everyone says the AE shocks are great but I don't like using them cause I can't get all the air out. PLEASE someone tell me how to bleed these things and get all the air out.
Look here
Old 09-21-2013, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

^^^^

Ya, that. They're an emulsion shock, you don't get all the air out, for a reason.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nutsplats
Share with us your process of setting them up and maybe we can see where you might be going wrong?

I am very careful when cycling the piston after I add oil. I usually fill the shock about 2/3 the way up, then let it sit, cycle the piston slowly a few more times and then top it off (so there is a miniscus of oil). I also put 3 drops in the cap before screwing it on. Once I screw the cap on, I keep the shock at about a 45˚ angle in my hand as I SLOWLY cycle the piston towards the cap allowing the excess oil to seep out. Once the piston has topped out, I am very careful to not let it slide back down at all while screwing in the bleeder screw. That usually does the trick for me with all shocks I build (AE Big Bores and AE V2's).
Old 09-23-2013, 10:12 PM
Tech Prophet

Hum sounds like the same issue i had with the V2 shocks that use a O-ring in the cap for the life of me could not stop the air bubbles trying the bleed them not tiny bubbles ethier . I tried everything also to fix it.

I gave up on them and got some 22t shocks on my T4.1 .

I thought the Big Bores dont have that problem .
Old 09-23-2013, 10:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The AE Big Bores have bleed screws in the shock caps which you use to bleed out excess oil. Since the shocks are emulsion you have to have some air mixed in with the oil or the shaft will hydro lock on compression. Oil does not compress, but air does, so without any air in the shock when the shaft is compressed it will lock because the oil won't compress.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (98%+)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLVh0f0wMRM

watch this guys youtube.. he did an amazing job
Old 09-23-2013, 11:06 PM
Tech Master

I had trouble at first but I took my time and all went well with my t4.2 shocks, they did start leaking eventually, this time around I'm going to try the TSR pro shock kit which use a bladder set up, plus I like to tune rebound with bladders, if you really want good shock I know some use kyosho shocks, I might try that to
Old 09-24-2013, 05:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cobra408
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLVh0f0wMRM

watch this guys youtube.. he did an amazing job
Thanks for passing those vids on. I can add to that one with this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GitM0-hWFgc
Old 09-24-2013, 05:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Thanks for passing those vids on. I can add to that one with this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GitM0-hWFgc
I have issues with these things as well and I just don't know what I'm doing wrong as I've tried all the tips in every one of these videos and threads. Before my last race I completely rebuilt my BBs, new o-rings and all (ok not new spacers). Bled them 4 times and went and raced a few days later. At the end of the race day my oils had significant dirt in them and when I opened the shock it was like I had opened a soda, the oil foamed up. I use the green slime on the o-rings plus they sat for a few days, the o-rings should have sealed just fine by all accounts. The first time I built the shocks I used a Kyosho X ring on top and a AE o-ring on the bottom...on this rebuild I used 2 AE o-rings.

What could I be doing wrong?
Old 09-24-2013, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grasschopper
I have issues with these things as well and I just don't know what I'm doing wrong as I've tried all the tips in every one of these videos and threads. Before my last race I completely rebuilt my BBs, new o-rings and all (ok not new spacers). Bled them 4 times and went and raced a few days later. At the end of the race day my oils had significant dirt in them and when I opened the shock it was like I had opened a soda, the oil foamed up. I use the green slime on the o-rings plus they sat for a few days, the o-rings should have sealed just fine by all accounts. The first time I built the shocks I used a Kyosho X ring on top and a AE o-ring on the bottom...on this rebuild I used 2 AE o-rings.

What could I be doing wrong?
Originally Posted by racer1812
^^^^

Ya, that. They're an emulsion shock, you don't get all the air out, for a reason.
the answer you seek grasschopper is here
Originally Posted by flame56mx
Old 09-24-2013, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asc6000
the answer you seek grasschopper is here
So they are supposed to do that? I don't recall my Losi bottom loaders ever doing that...and for sure they didn't get dirt in them the way these AE seem to. Also at the end of the day they had full rebound (should have added that). This was from very little practice (one pack maybe) 2x 5 min heats and a 8 min main.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:15 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Shark413
The AE Big Bores have bleed screws in the shock caps which you use to bleed out excess oil. Since the shocks are emulsion you have to have some air mixed in with the oil or the shaft will hydro lock on compression. Oil does not compress, but air does, so without any air in the shock when the shaft is compressed it will lock because the oil won't compress.

Well i have my SCTE shocks Emulsion style with the bleeder cap i always made sure there was no air bubbles in them never had them lock up when compress though they acted normal.

Never heard of any shock that likes air bubbles.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:21 AM
Tech Adept

I'm not a fan of AE's emulsion shocks either.

Does anyone know of some shock bladders that would fit? AE doesn't make any, but I'll bet some other brand's bladders will fit.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bracket
I'm not a fan of AE's emulsion shocks either.

Does anyone know of some shock bladders that would fit? AE doesn't make any, but I'll bet some other brand's bladders will fit.
I'm building a new t4.2 and I'm going to try the TSR pro shock kit which uses a bladder setup and new orings which may stop the leaking(hopefully)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.