R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've been in this hobby since january. I've bought a total of 8 cars and batteries and tires and everything else you can think. The best purchase out of all of it? My radio. I started eith a spektrum dx3s. Now I own a 4pks futaba. The best benefit a driver has gear wise is the radio. Do not go cheap on a radio. This I've learned from experience above all else.
I'm not saying spend 500 on a radio. But I'd shoot for a mt-4 or 4pls and up.

Last edited by JasonR/C; 09-20-2013 at 10:02 AM. Reason: edit
JasonR/C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin View Post
I understand everything you've mentioned, except the radio part. A number of guys using rtr radio's have mentioned they want to go to one good radio for all of their cars. Do better radio's provide any tangible benefits besides better feel in your hands?
It can make a huge difference to how connected you feel to the car when every transmitter input creates a near instantaneous reaction in the car, compared to varying degrees of delay with cheaper radios. My friend just changed this year from a 3pk with a spektrum dsm1 module to a 4pks. He constantly tells me that he wishes he had done it sooner.

I noticed a fairly big difference just going from a DX3R to an MT-4. Felt much smoother, more precise and more connected with the MT-4. The difference between my MT-4 and my M12 are minimal though. More just the feel in my hands than anything between those 2.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
I noticed a fairly big difference just going from a DX3R to an MT-4. Felt much smoother, more precise and more connected with the MT-4. The difference between my MT-4 and my M12 are minimal though. More just the feel in my hands than anything between those 2.
there is nothing wrong with a DX3R or pro ..ive had mine for 7yrs..ask Adam drake LOL .....mt4 is not better then a dx3r raising the bullchit flag on that one

did you change your framerates ?
RCP Customs-RC Juice
rkhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #34
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyname View Post
I know the Manufacturers put out new products with tons of small improvements pretty often. I wanted to see if people really can feel differences between say the scte 1.0 vs 2.0 , mbx6 vs mbx7, 808e vs xb9e, 8 2.0 vs 8 3.0 etc etc ... Are the prior models really "outdated" in your opinions ? Is it a bad move for a new racer to buy up a sweet older model cheap , or should they poney up and inverst in the newest stuff to maximize the life span of the investment ? Share your opinions ...
The "Flavor of the Month" crowd will usually be the first one's to brand a car as being "obsolete". That usually has more to do with it not being the latest and greatest than it actually being obsolete.

That being said, you don't want to run too old a car, because then you might have to worry about parts support. Generally though, a good car doesn't just become "bad" when a never version of it comes out.

The only time I can see where a newer model would really make a difference is if you race with a lot of drivers who are of equal skill and they all have newer cars.
Associated FT T4.2

Last edited by blade329; 09-20-2013 at 11:29 AM.
blade329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to nv529

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhess View Post
there is nothing wrong with a DX3R or pro ..ive had mine for 7yrs..ask Adam drake LOL .....mt4 is not better then a dx3r raising the bullchit flag on that one

Believe it or not, radios do wear out over time. I'm 99% sure your 7yr old radio doesn't feel anything like a new DX3R/pro.

Also, if I remember correctly, airtronics and ko-propo has more national and world titles.

I'm a Futaba fanboi, BTW.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

For me, it's really all about degrees.

Just to look at Associated.

How much improvement is the front end geometry changes from the B4 to the B4.2 (that's 4 cars in the mix) is there....1%. Would it be safe to say you would reduce your race time by 1% with the improved geometry/big bore FT shocks up front?

Then look at what 1 crash (for our track, 1 normal crash that requires a marshall will probably add 6 seconds to your lap) which is 6 seconds of a 300 second race. Which is 2%.

So yes, the newer versions of vehicles are improvements, but a guy running a B2 and never crashes against a guy running a B4.2 who crashes 4 times....guess who wins.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #37
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

I had the DX3R running only dsm2 receivers at "5.5ms". Airtronics felt much better. I don't care who uses Spektrum. I believe 100% that Airtronics is better in every way.

Maybe Drake would be even quicker if he ditched the crappy radio. Most of his sponsors are under the horizon umbrella. He probably has to use it.

Friends don't let friends buy Spektrum.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin View Post
I understand everything you've mentioned, except the radio part. A number of guys using rtr radio's have mentioned they want to go to one good radio for all of their cars. Do better radio's provide any tangible benefits besides better feel in your hands?
A good radio has many benefits.

I have several cheaper radios that came with stuff, and one good radio.

The good radio has more precise control (better potentiometer in the steering and throttle, better radio sampling)

The good radio has an LCD screen so that you can actually see what your settings are, compared to something with multifunction dials and blinking lights signifying what you're changing.

The good radio has the ability to plug in a lipo battery, instead of AAs.

Most radios have the important settings.....endpoints, dual-rate, channel reverse. Some have added benefits for helping you learn to drive. My radio has an ABS option, where you can adjust the pulse rhythm and strength. I find that works GREAT for 2wd, both on- and off-road. It can be a help for 4wd as well. I can also turn down the speed of the steering or throttle. I find this a good learning tool, as I often get on the throttle a little too quick. When I turned my throttle speed down, I found I had more control.

Those are just a few things, plus if you are going to be holding the radio for hours and hours and hours, a better feel goes a long way.

Sponsors - My Kids, My Wife, and My Wallet!
BlueGlowBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #39
Tech Regular

i have a two years old rc8be that im thinking of replacing for two reasons,
1. there is an over all wear and its not reasonable to replace every thing.
2. new car= starting the set-up from scratch and have everything smooth.
but, if it was good for the Ryan's, then i can Probably still get better with it

dont know what to do...
ebay007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #40
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Quote:

That's quite an accomplishment (7 years) since the radio came out in 2008. Human's can't detect the difference between 5ms and 10ms. Average human reflex reaction time is in the 215ms range (mine was closer to 280 on the test below). Try for yourself:

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #41
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
I had the DX3R running only dsm2 receivers at "5.5ms". Airtronics felt much better. I don't care who uses Spektrum. I believe 100% that Airtronics is better in every way.

Maybe Drake would be even quicker if he ditched the crappy radio. Most of his sponsors are under the horizon umbrella. He probably has to use it.

Friends don't let friends buy Spektrum.
+1 on that! I can't feel the difference in speeds between radios, but I will maintain that Spektrum stuff is crap. Every time I've experienced or seen others experience radio glitches, cutouts, runaways, etc., it's always been Spektrum equipment.
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #42
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Radios are no different than any of our other equipment. There are differences, some people can feel it, some can not.

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
That's quite an accomplishment (7 years) since the radio came out in 2008. Human's can't detect the difference between 5ms and 10ms. Average human reflex reaction time is in the 215ms range (mine was closer to 280 on the test below). Try for yourself:

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/
april 2007 from horizion ...so excuse me almost 7 ....
RCP Customs-RC Juice
Old 09-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #44
Tech Elite

wouldnt you add the reaction time ?

brain tells hand in 215ms + radio tells car in 5.5ms =220.5ms opossed to 226.5ms if using 11.5 frame rate ...so yes i do agree and have felt the difference between frame rates and so have other's with thier raaaadio

i guess my radio is holding me back .......but just cuz its old

anyways i guess if you use spektrum new racers your just holding yourself back ....so buy airtronics youll never have a runaway or any other problems
RCP Customs-RC Juice
Old 09-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #45
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I don't see reaction time coming into play all the time. A planned input to the radio eliminates that. Like when you turn into a long sweeper. There is a video posted on this site somewhere that actually goes through the whole "speed" thing. Granted it's from a European airplane guy but it's relevant non the less.

I'll try to find it..

*Edit*

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote