Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just getting into it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Just getting into it.

I am just getting interested in R/c trucks. I want to get something reliable, fun, and affordable. I was looking at a few but am unsure about reliability. I just want a quick 4wd for recreational use. I was looking at this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
I am unsure of how it will last it sounds strong but I have limited knowledge of this area. thanks
Old 06-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

it looks like a Nitro RS4 MT knockoff. you're better off with the real thing.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Tech Rookie

IT seems very affordable, why would I not want to purchase this. I would like to get into this hobby for a reasonable cost. I want something that will take some abuse but won't cost me an arm and a leg. I don't want to spend a fortune, I have too many hobbies. Any suggestions on cars or trucks to look at. Strong, fast, reliable, affordable. thanks a lot
this truck just seemed to be exactly those, am I wrong?
Old 06-20-2005, 01:00 PM
Tech Rookie

I just want something for recreational use that I can rip around my yard and beach maybe. thanks
Old 06-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Tech Rookie

http://www1.bottomdollar.com/search_...85#description

is this a pretty tough truck and a good deal?
Old 06-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by sa_311
http://www1.bottomdollar.com/search_...85#description

is this a pretty tough truck and a good deal?
That would be good. If you want to check out others, try looking around on eBay and see if you can get a T-Maxx that is Ready to Run for around $250-$300. The first one you posted is most likely a knock-off, which I do not recommend because they're cheap for a reason. If you want a good truck and can find parts for it, dish out the extra dollars otherwise you will be hanging yourself from a tree just trying to find parts for that knockoff.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

First lesson in RC is "You buy cheap, you buy twice."

Old 06-20-2005, 04:32 PM
Tech Rookie

i can find t maxx's for 375 shipped on ebay. what all do I need to be sure to have for operating a nitro powered rc? What is the fuel make up for these things? is that a tuff truck?
Old 06-20-2005, 04:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

i can find t maxx's for 375 shipped on ebay. what all do I need to be sure to have for operating a nitro powered rc? What is the fuel make up for these things? is that a tuff truck?
You will need a 6 cell sub-C battery pack for the EZ-Start, 8 AA batteries for the radio, and a quart or gallon of 20% Nitromethane fuel, which can be purchased at your local hobby retailer.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:07 AM
Tech Elite

my local hobby shop sells them for about $370 out the door. that's not that screaming of a deal.
the T-maxx isn't that tough. if you want tough, get a Savage (about the same price at my local shop)
don't strictly go to ebay, because retards on ebay seem to pay top dollar for something that aint worth that much.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

my brother got a 2.5 t-maxx $220.00 shipped!
Old 06-22-2005, 03:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

I recently got a bargain off ebay. An hpi nitro rush with a dynamite tuned pipe and heaps off extras. Keep looking make sure you get a good truck.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=sa_311]IT seems very affordable, why would I not want to purchase this. I would like to get into this hobby for a reasonable cost. I want something that will take some abuse but won't cost me an arm and a leg. I don't want to spend a fortune, I have too many hobbies.Strong, fast, reliable, affordable.
[QUOTE]

I don't know who told you this hobby was cheap. in my CHEAPER cars i have at least $600 put into them.
this is NOT a cheap hobby...at all.
not trying to discourage you...but don't buy something BECAUSE it's cheap. people made that mistake with Daihatsu back in the 80s, and more recently with Daewoo. remember them? Daewoos are sitting on used car lots, 02 models, for $1,000 with low miles FOR A REASON.
hands down, the best bang for the buck RC truck currently is the Team Losi LST. around $550-600 for a new one.
At any rate, a good truck, like the RS4 MT2, can be had for a hair over $300. check out www.horizonhobby.com and www.towerhobbies.com and whatever you choose, make sure you buy from your local hobby shop.